Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dawgstar posted:

What If the MU lost Atlantis Attacks: You might remember Atlantis Attacks as about Atlanteans summoning Set the primordial snake god. When you actually summon said primordial snake god, things go south very quickly. TPK. Also Set's brood escape into the multiverse but I don't think anything came of it.

Gavok posted:

I love this stupid issue because of how blatant it "cheats." Instead of changing one moment it decides to make sure the heroes lost on every front.

"Namor failed, Thor failed and Punisher failed. Awesome. Now let's see 40 pages of every hero dying horribly!"

And since it's on topic now, here's a massive article I did recently on the 100 best What If moments.

This comic was the moment I had similar to what X-O described. It's funny but nothing characters like The Aquarian will always be sort of important to me because of this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

lmao

pubic works project posted:

I'm a minority of a minority cuz I'm a half-breed. Just an fyi

I'm also mixed but I extremely pass for white and don't do a lot to stop this so I'll still take a yelling if I deserve it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That's gross.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Wolverine looks like a Young Adult Novel movie adaptation character there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rochallor posted:

This isn't the most representative group of comics fans, but is anybody here actually excited about Wolverine being alive again?

I'm a pretty big Wolverine fan, and it's really easy to make a Wolverine story that I'm into and am glad Logan's back. With that said though I could've happily just had them throw him in a "LOGAN" book and just did a few years of him wandering around Japan or Canada or something while letting Laura stay The Main Wolverine for a while.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For whatever reason when I was a kid my local store never carried Alpha Flight and it also never made the "here's a million comics" packs either so my only context for what was happening there was Marvel Handbooks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I honestly can't decide if I dislike Englehart's writing or not, it's all over the place in quality.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah y'all have sold me, time to give Runaways another try.

It's been hard because I loved that first run so much and everything after has just been sad for not living up to it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Metalshark posted:

Yeah, the background details and gags are hilarious, but his action is so kinetic & flows, and the dude is so inventive*. Really enjoyed how he had Laura mirroring a Cuckoo's pose at the end of #1, and the split panels you posted are so effective. He's getting more and more consistent since the Elektra mini and his previous ANW arc, so hopefully he stays on X-23 for a long time, because ANW never having consistency between arcs was a shame.

*Drawing all these covers, I mean, goddamn.

Tamaki's deliberate writing style, wringing out all the tension and emotion of the plot, is a really great fit for X-23 too, and the colours and lettering are supporting this so well.

This is beautiful.

E: On a whim instead of reading the new Runaways I just started from the beginning and I really forgot how young they write Molly in the beginning, and also the stuff with Alex sure feels different knowing where that's all going.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 31, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bendis's X-Men isn't that bad. The original 5 were kind of stupid because it used some characterizations that were products of the time of the story more than the characters that wisely had been updated by Claremon and writers to follow, but beyond that his setup was fine and he also left the characters in a nice place for other people to do some pretty good things with them.

But drat AvX is unforgivable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I love the art.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Dr Druid is still dead. I am sure there are other b and c list characters that are dead because no one remembers them. Like I think most of the thunderbolts that Graviton murdered are still dead.

Rest in peace, Synch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Guardians of the Galaxy (future version) probably had the right idea of putting the bands on Silver Surfer. Quasar had a really cool power but there just aren't the good stories to justify continually bringing the character back (and I say that as someone who liked Quasar).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Reed working a fast food place would be pretty good. I mean he could probably run the whole place by himself (I mean night time fast food is sometimes as few as a two person job anyway).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bummer. I remember reading a paperback on my stepdad's shelf that contained the first year of Spider-Man comics when I was 8 or 9 and it was majorly influential. I'm sure billions of people have similar stories.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

site posted:

Getting around to hate reading iron man and i could see myself liking jocasta and her storyline if someone else had the reigns and i still am upset they let slott drag Janet into it

E: Gwen Poole Was Right

Whew, I haven't thought of Sleepwalker in . . . . . . . . . a very long time. I should read Gwen Poole, it sounds like it's up my alley. I tried to read a series on Unlimited a few years ago though and it didn't make much sense.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I need to catch up to Totally Awesome Hulk at some point. Amadeus Cho is one of my favorites but I don't think I've checked out Hulk since like Red Hulk.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

This is probably incomplete and also inaccurate as ADAM-X THE X-TREME is included.

This is wild.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
X-Men Family Tree: Warning: 40 inch 1080p + Monitor Only

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I found Thor to be pretty impenetrable before Thunderstrike. It did its job of making me willing to give it a chance even when original Thor returned when previously the Shakespearean speech was too much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

The last newspaper Amazing Spider-Man Sunday strip. Excelsior! :(

Heading off to Australia with MJ is the ending Peter Parker deserves.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He kind of looks like a some of the DnD Jackalmen but green early on but kind of goes progressively more goblin.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's funny we're talking about bad era X-men because I just read "What if Astonishing resurrected Jean Grey instead of Colossus." And it gets as probably hosed up as you are guessing but maybe not for why exactly.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

X-O posted:

I've been behind this week. Just got to some books. First one I read was Champions for the reunion of Kamala and Scott. I was not disappointed.

This makes me really happy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like I read a single issue or backup story of every Agent of Atlas reboot and nothing else. But also it kind of seems like they (at least the original team) haven't ever managed to advance the plot?

The new team is pretty cool though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Agents of Atlas is also fun. I'm really sold on Luna Snow and the like.

Yeah I've really like it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm finally fully caught up on all the x-men stuff and have started to poke around in other marvel stuff. I don't see a lot of individual threads so I will post stuff here but sorry if this is the wrong place.

drat that Phoenix stuff is awful. What happened to Jason Aaron?

I always say "I don't like when Spider-Man goes mystical" but lately they are the only stories I end up reading it seems; I read half the latest issue up and decided to all the way back to the beginning of this arc, which was almost a year ago. There's something interesting in the Sin Eater arc but him just Boring Jokerfying mobs is not it. I kind of wanted to see Spidey have to struggle with a villain that murders bad people, for like, then minutes, and then they arise baptized and he has their power. And should these people be in jail if they are truly rehabilitated from their crimes? Some interesting stuff to think about that it didn't seem like the story was interested in, other than Miles mentioning the implications and everyone just ignoring him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the pantheon are so fuckin' lame.

Ever since they stopped drawing Atlanta with freckles I can't give a gently caress about them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I really regretted reading all of Last Rites. What if . . . Spider-Man actually is and was the baddie all along? Is not a take I really have a lot of time for when it's mostly involving the Osbournes. I'm sure somewhere along the line it'll turn the other way but at the rate Spencer tells stories that'll be two years from now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

That guy has a lot of bad ideas.

Yeah and it doesn't even makes sense, Spider-Man pretty constantly blames himself for all his problems so acting like he just hasn't been aware of the negative impact he has on people is a pretty big wiff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I haven't been reading it so I didn't know what was happening, but what? seriously?

Yeah Harry digs up like nine friends of Spider-Man who have died and puts them at the table along with all the new spider powered friends captured (who were turned into weird monsters the issue before) and spends a whole issue killing and resurrecting spider-man telling him to confess for being to blame for everyone there but he won't do it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

That was to honour the intent of the original creators! Pay no attention to 'Even An Android Can Cry', his second appearance!

I think it's more he wants Pete to confess to One More Day, but events got in the way.

I think I'm the one person who still likes Spencer's ASM. His Cap run is hot garbage, but I like his Spidey.

You're probably right, that went totally over my head.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was really into Darkhawk as a kid without ever reading the comics if that makes sense. I just though the character concept was really cool but all my money was tied up in the X-verse.

Open Marriage Night posted:

That Power Rangers book was pretty hot for a while there. Having the main villain be an evil future Green/White Ranger was the perfect choice, and later including some of the other Ranger teams besides just the originals, helped bring in even more people beyond the nostalgia crowd.

It was fun, but nothing spectacular if you were never into Power Rangers.

This sounds cool and I didn't know it was out there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

They even got Jason David Frank to film a trailer for the comic.

https://youtu.be/bUsKEifgs48

drat I didn't know I needed this in my life so much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I resumed my Runaways read and drat, I knew the book had some troubles in the late aughties, but drat, they really ended on Gert running around and Chase getting hit by a car. I'm trying to decide if I want to put myself through the bad Child Avengers D list comics of the 2010s or if I'm just going to pick up the series in the revival (strongly leaning towards the latter).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I decided to catch up with one of my favorites on Unlimited who I hadn’t read anything about in a while, Dr. Druid. He just sucks as a hero. Sucks as a villain. I love it. Dude is a top ten magic person on the planet but is going to gently caress up and end up disrespected by everyone he meets.

This ended up taking me to Dr. Strange Surgeon Supreme. What a pleasant comic. I usually find Dr. Strange solo stuff to be either dull or too melodramatic to be any fun but this was really well done. A shame it didn’t last longer. And my boy, that is about the best he has done at anything in a while. Dr Druid is forced into actually being really competent in order to be able to compete with Dr. Strange in an arrogance contest was a nice touch, and this dynamic, really made him the perfect unwilling (on both their parts) sidekick to Strange. Also the C level villain that appears at the end is another treat for me, one of my favorites and actually a nice follow up to a thread I forgot was dangling.

It’s only six issues so if you are bored check it out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Read the 30 year anniversary Darkhawk. I liked it. I thought they did a good job of capturing the evolving tone of Darkhawk. It also sort of felt like an appropriate wrap for the character (as little as I believe anyone who falls into a space portal is dead) and a nice set up for who wears the armor next. “Well I wasn’t that great at being a hero but maybe the next one to use this crystal will learn from my mistakes” (to paraphrase) is pretty appropriate.

This lead me into seeing what other Darkhawk stuff was on Unlimited. Not much. But The Loners was up. There are several “yikes” things written about and put into Japanese character’s mouths in it, especially for a 2007 comic when there really wasn’t much excuse. The series was a rare hate read for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Given it was written by the honorable Yoshida-sama this is not surprising. Cebulski was never a great writer but on top of that he clearly thinks he "gets" Japanese people in the way only white privilege thinks it can.

There is a conflict resolved when one woman sees her opponent is also Japanese and next thing you know the conflict is resolved by them bowing at each other.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Wow, that's not good. On a nostalgic hero getting killed in one of these one-off things, that's just dreary. I reference Darkhawk from time to time, my brother is a huge fan. I usually tell him whenever there's a new Darkhawk one-shot or cameo, even though like mentioned here it's often bad and doesn't really fit with that 90s run.

That's one of those things where you gotta do it right, if you're gonna do it. Should at least get a good mini-series focusing on his life and stuff. Where he's at. Don't just chuck him in a hole like an old action figure you're throwing out. It's like when you kill the survivors of one movie in the beginning of the next one, it's just not kosher. Thank you for mentioning this, I had that on the read list, good thing I was sitting down.

edit: I just flipped through it, because my precious time should be spent posting this instead of reading Higgins prose on the death of the mighty Hawk. I do like Abnett though, not necessarily for his writing of this character, but I may read this later. Boo though, boo. Killing characters without earning it, not even during a series with continuity or reason, it's just madness. Marvel should not be allowed to kill anymore, do it like One Piece, two or three deaths a decade at most. Make 'em work for it. It's so one note. Mothra should've gone into that hole to save the day or whatever instead, Mothra is ready for that sacrifice. Get IDW on the phone, get some Mothra. Go live Chris, you're a young man! You've still got it!

To paraphrase Spaced, had a good cry when I heard Darkhawk was apparently killed in a space incident in a one-off thingy.

"We're at the precipice of a shadow war..." - well la dee da!

tl;dr - innocent hero space man is senselessly killed in a comic special, one poster tries to come to peace with this. I do believe it is against comics ethics code to do this in a 30th anniversary special, especially to an underdog character of this sort.

Off topic, I know this isn't Higgins fault, but is he killing off any of those Power Rangers in his run? Is our childhood safe? If Kimberly gets sacrificed to stop the galactic Vending Machine monster, I'm gonna throw tomatoes at my comic viewer.

I absolutely agree with you that death is overused in Marvel (except in X-Men now) and also it’s almost never earned.

I think Darkhawk has been so bad creatively and financially (although I still have a soft spot for the character)that this send off of him was a bit of a labor of love. I would have preferred “well I am stuck in this space station, might as well send the crystal to someone who can use it” or whatever but it is time for a drastically different take on Darkhawk and it doesn’t need much justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
E: wrong thread.