Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey I guess this is the best thread to ask this question. I haven't read a lot of Marvel comics beyond the occasional one-off, but I've read a lot of graphic novels or collected versions of stuff.

With all the Kang news once thing I've been kind of fascinated by is that recurring design motif that you see with a lot of Marvel villians/characters, of the big square headpiece that kind of frames the character's face. You know the thing I mean - you see it with Kang/Galactus/MODOK and loads and loads of other characters, especially if they're somehow otherworldly. I was wondering if there were any good resources on the background of that design and why its so prevalent across Marvel. Or even! If there's some wacky in-universe explanation of why that design motif pops up so regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's called Jack Kirby was a visionary.

Sure - I guess then if anyone knows of good resources on Kirby's reference material for that stuff, that'd be great!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

It's interesting because like, while it's possible I suppose that he was totally suis generis and cooking things up from the aether I find it kind of unlikely because so very very few artists really work like that. Kirby especially finds such a central place in his work in the 60s for collage and pastiche... even stuff like the resemblance between some of his twisty, overwhelming landscapes and prints by Piranesi in the 18th century, it's clear that he was drawing on a very very sophisticated if idiosyncratic visual archive.

fake edit: Here you go, his Julius Caesar sketches.

Yeah, artists are always working from some kind of source material, especially if they're designing stuff - that's just what's required to make good art at that level. There's no aether to pluck things out of!

That link is excellent though, and already goes some of the way to asking my question - roman centurion helmets, with their long metal protective sideburns (technical term) and chin guards look like they must be some influence. Maybe also samurai helmets? Thanks for the link!

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 24, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I have a month of Marvel Unlimited. The only Marvel comics I've ever read are the two spider-verse series, which I quite enjoyed. Please throw recommendations at me!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

X-O posted:

I almost feel like House of X/Powers of X and the following would be a turn off to someone very new to comics. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem very new reader friendly.

Only new to Marvel Comics! I grew up reading stuff like Sandman and Transmetropolitan.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spiderverse and Spidergeddon? Did you read the tie ins? That’s where the real meat or those stories is.

Yeah I followed an online list for Spiderverse. I'm not actually sure whether I finished Spidergeddon actually - I'll take a look! I agree that Spider Punk was excellent. The bit that always sticks in my mind is in the big climactic battle at the end of the mainline, where one of the spider-people mentions that he coulda sworn he just saw the dudes from The Social Network and Seabiscuit

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've been so far enjoying Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man - but all your suggestions are added to the list.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey all, I'd like to give a physical comics subscription a go - partly because the new ultimate universe feels like a good jumping on point and I enjoyed reading the first couple of Ultimate Spider-Man issues digitally (after I've felt exhausted trying to jump into the House of X stuff that feels like it's being constantly crushed by the weight of all its own exposition and character histories). Can anyone recommend a good subscription service in the UK? I've signed up to Forbidden Planet, but their postage costs seem a little pricey.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is there a local store within any reasonable distance? They almost certainly have a subscription service, and also could really use your support.

TBH my local is a forbidden planet

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
North's FF run has got me back into reading and subscribing to comics. It's great. And the use of the powers feels constantly silly and creative. I don't know if Richards using his own eyeballs as binoculars is a common thing across comics , but it is hilarious. In fact, all the stupid ways he stretches bits of himself out are really fun. Is it worth reading Squirrel Girl if I'm enjoying this?

On powers chat though, as a lapsed X-Men fan I've been reading the Krakoa comics, and although the worldbuilding/politics is cool, I really feel like way too much of the plot and worldbuilding lean very heavily on the crazier mutant powers out there, at the expense of the characters behind those powers.

Which is fine to an extent - and I get that any big event comic will inevitably boil down to some super powered deus ex machina situation that breaks the world - but I've found reading Krakoa/of X that way too many of the mutants are really reduced to their powers - especially cast members with the weirder powers - in order to drive the story foward. Like in order to make Krakoa work at all - or for the Rise of the powers of X comics to make any sense - every panel just needs to be an explanation of how a set of mutants are combining their powers to do something.
I might have just not come across it, but like I don't feel like I've learnt anything about who the 5 are as people beyond the fact that their day job is to be a resurrection machine.
I think in one of the newer Rise of the powers comics, Xavier even describes the trick being used to solve the narrative problems as 'a perfect mutant circuit'. Like, I enjoy a lot of this run, but this stuff always feels like it's somehow going against the message of X-Men a a whole, by reducing characters to just their powers?

Does this jive with anyone else? Is there some series hidden in the past few years that I might have missed that's more reflective or self-aware about all this?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

Sadly, and ironically given their importance to the world building, the Five mainly remain background characters for most of this era, though they pop up a little more often in the X-Factor book. I think Proteus may have gotten a couple guest spots, mostly due to his connection to Moira. The exception is Hope Summers, who becomes a pretty big deal in Gillen's Immortal X-Men later on. That said, once you move past HoX/Pox and Hickman's X-Men book, many of the books in the line are far more character focused, so I'd recommend exploring a bit more.

Echoing everyone's recommendation on Squirrel Girl. And if you enjoy the series and want more, there is a podcast written by North that's in continuity and a great follow-up to his run.

ok I know I'm 8 years late to the party, but read the first couple issues after everyone's recommendations this week (and vague recollections of people being very excited about it 8 years ago), and these panels on these two subsequent pages where when I realised I was gonna end up reading the whole drat thing

I mean, I'll bet you'll probably see these two pages posted in this exact thread 8 years ago. A fool am I!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Maduo posted:

The Five are pretty hard to write a book around when the first info block about them says doing resurrections is really chill for them and they all really love each other and have no issues with doing nothing but return people all day, especially Proteus don't worry about him at all.

That is maybe better than any implications made by not stating that up front, but it doesn't give The Five much room for stories beyond being another lever of political power in Krakoa. IIRC, they were supposed to feature in X-Factor more?

That is exactly what I found weird tho, that the five (and other characters in the saga, although the five are the most obvious) seem content with essentially just being their powers all day, in order to keep the wheels of krakoa turning. That seems very counter to the whole message of x men that people are more than their physical characteristics. I figured they might do something a bit more reflective with Xavier being constantly plugged into his powers considering he’s always using his fetching cerebro hat at least

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'll check it out!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Is there an elaborate/camp in-universe explanation for why the sentinels are all designed to look like big buff dudes

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I think it's more in the spirit of what they're trying to do with the character to say Parker doesn't value getting rich, and more generally is notoriously bad with money. But he's not, like, a hippie.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Way late but strong guy did this with a dog in the subway. An xfactor annual I believe. Broke my young heart too

Strong Guy might just be the very worst mutant alias

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Milotic posted:

I read both Black Panthers, and honestly the Ultimate universe isn’t really blowing me away with its novelty. I read USM 1 and whilst it was novel, I thought Parker came across as self-absorbed. Core concepts in the wider setting we’ve seen before.

He does, but like, it's the very first issue, and that's his starting point to grow from. I already like where it's gone, 4 issues in. The most recent issue was well written. My only real complaint is that there's very little Spider-Man so far, but I suppose it's early days. The art and colouring in USM is also really stellar, and worth the price of admission imo.

I agree with you on Black Panther. I don't think it helps that the tone is so heavy handed and self-serious throughout - like there's a constant air of faux prestige to the writing that I find a bit suffocating.

Ultimate X-Men is beautiful so far, but still feels right at the beginning. It kind of reminds me of those small press indie comics that cost way too much, but have beautiful artwork and very little dialogue, and just feel like nice art objects to own. Only, it's a take on one of the biggest titles in comic books. There are a few things starting to peek through there narratively that could turn out to be really interesting. I hope the 'orign story' side to all this doesn't get dragged out for too long and it feels like things are up and running sooner rather than later though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

The biggest failing of USM right now is the action, yeah. I know everything's written as six issues so I'm hoping for a slam-bang finish to this first arc but so far the "Spider-Man" aspect has not been super impressive.

Oh really? Do we know if these ultimate comics are planned to continue beyond no. 6? Or are you saying that's just how the arcs are supposed to span?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Cael posted:

I think they mean in general because most publishers are just after the TPB market.

That said, I love that USM is low on action and high on cool story beats. It seems intentionally designed that way because from what it looks like, every issue starts a month of in universe time after the last. That’s why there’s no big action cliffhanger since it’s building the world, and while I can see why some people might not care for it I’m all in.

Thank you! This is my first stint subscribing to monthly single issue comics and not just getting TPBs years after the fact. So far it's very satisfying and quite expensive. It didn't seem too unhealthy when I stuck to the Ultimate line, which is pretty contained, and Fantastic Four, which seems very responsible about keeping to itself (and even having each issue come to a satisfying conclusion) but then I wanted to get in on the end of Krakoa stuff, and X-Men is where I can really see the "that's where they get you" machinery in full flush - it's so easy to think that you need to subscribe to another series to fill in more of the overall ongoing narrative, when you really probably don't. Any tips on keeping my pull list under control is welcome.