Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

American media is real bad these days. I read the Times obsessively for years and watched in horror as it slowly turned into dogshit, animorphs style. I still pay for a subscription, but they don't really deserve your money and neither do any of the major American papers (WaPo, lmao.) Sure they publish the occasional muckraking investigative piece, but you have to carefully pick that out of the poop.

If you just want the facts, ma’am, AP or Reuters. Not a subscription thing, but ad supported, so just read.

The New York Review of Books publishes tremendous longform pieces, if you want an outlet to throw money at I can't think of a better one, especially since its reader base is aging. It's a wonderful way to be exposed to journalism, books, art, history, literature, philosophy, film, classical music, and what-have-you.

If you want views, you have few decent American options, imo. The problem is that the American Overton window is so small that almost all mainstream writers are a complete snore and have predictably dense opinions. Matt Taibbi’s pieces rule and so do his books. The Baffler is good but they have sort of a college-leftist disposition, which means that even when they're right they're often wrong. People on here will probably tend to like it more than I do. I think Alexandra Petri's satire is a treasure, and she's certainly the only WaPo writer worth your time, but not everyone will like her style or find her funny.

NYT can still be decent sometimes if you can tolerate the constant smell of rear end, they do deserve credit for trying to find new and compelling ways to tell stories. Mark Leibovich does exceptional work chronicling Washington the way it really is, he's almost worth the sub on his own. The New Yorker has good longform stuff occasionally (not to be confused with New York Magazine, which is a steaming turd.) As products of that city, they are naturally priggish and status-obsessed, and editorially pearl-clutching.

Most of the lefty places like The Huffington Post and Daily Kos are extra awful. I guess Mother Jones and The Intercept are fine? Lately I've gained a bit of respect for ThinkProgress for their EPA/environment coverage, even though it's associated with CAP, a center-left think tank run by some of Washington's worst.

I like Al Jazeera.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

pat_b posted:

The Center for Investigative Reporting has good stories.
I can't believe I forgot these guys, also ProPublica in a similar vein. So, so good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If you're interested in politics and want to keep up with inside-the-Beltway baseball, Taegan Goddard's Political Wire isn't bad. Roll Call has good Congress coverage. Avoid POLITICO and The Hill.

Catacombs posted:

I'd recommend The New York Times and The Washington Post for news about the United States. The papers' reporting about the government and other national issues are among the best in the country.

Make sure you avoid the editorial sections. Many people think Editorial and News are the same and influence converge for one another. That is a myth. Both are separate and should be treated as such.
I think NYT and WaPo do report well on the federal government, particularly executive branch agencies. But their coverage of politics and national issues can be pretty awful. It's incredible how adept they are at missing the point entirely, time after time. They are the prime proponents of the false-objectivity crap that leads to coverage fundamentally at odds with reality and an unwillingness to report facts as they are.

Don't forget that Chris Cillizza is a WaPo product and they continue his dumb dogshit via The Fix.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 5, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

On the topic of focusing on what’s important, please read news about Africa, you owe it to yourself. Africanews.com is a good place to do that, they run relevant stuff from AFP/AP/Reuters with some original reporting mixed in.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Vox is dogshit. Buzzfeed News isn’t bad at all since a few years ago when they suddenly decided to hire a bunch of quality reporters to write their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just because Smith is marginally better than other Fox News hosts doesn't mean watching the network is ever acceptable.

• Locked thread