Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Colonel posted:

technically, omikron is an isekai game

LawfulWaffle posted:

"Another World is a famous example of a rotoscoped isekai* game"

*isekai means Another World.
Isn't a key element of isekai that the protagonist possesses some kind of otaku skill useless in their original world that turns out to be all-powerful and/or extremely relevant and makes them a key player in the new one? I mean, you could vaguely make an argument for Omikron because the demons specifically target video game players and your skills as a player (no to mention patience for quantic dream second act derails and bad gameplay) will see you through the end as the chosen one but in Another World you're hopelessly outmatched throughout and nothing good ever happens to you.

Heart of Darkness would count though, with your treehouse-made laser gun is the most powerful weapon in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ar Tonelico is the oldest JRPG I can remember whose marketing was entirely "are you horny? well so is this game!!!"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chev posted:

Isn't a key element of isekai that the protagonist possesses some kind of otaku skill useless in their original world that turns out to be all-powerful and/or extremely relevant and makes them a key player in the new one? I mean, you could vaguely make an argument for Omikron because the demons specifically target video game players and your skills as a player (no to mention patience for quantic dream second act derails and bad gameplay) will see you through the end as the chosen one but in Another World you're hopelessly outmatched throughout and nothing good ever happens to you.

Heart of Darkness would count though, with your treehouse-made laser gun is the most powerful weapon in the world.

i don't think that's a required thing, it's just a way to add a spin to the story. like the dude in re:zero not really being super powered so much as mega cursed in a way he has to plan around

cheetah7071 posted:

Ar Tonelico is the oldest JRPG I can remember whose marketing was entirely "are you horny? well so is this game!!!"

it's funny because at least in at1 it kind of just. ends at the game having some sexual innuendo. the actual plot of ar tonelico turns out to be more about, emotional support and understanding and the ending is literally a battle against the barriers set up by a victim of severe emotional and physical abuse out of their own fear of the world, in order to comfort them and let them live a happier life

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 31, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Chev posted:

Having an uber power is a common trope but not required. There's even at least one isekai whose schtick is that the protag is not special at all other than being from the real world.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://twitter.com/DudeDra/status/1024296312060215296

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I played the first Ar Tonelico and it was cute but also it beat you over the head with the innuendos

It also was cool for letting me charge my support character to an insane level and laying down a massive attack on a poor sod

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

it's funny because at least in at1 it kind of just. ends at the game having some sexual innuendo. the actual plot of ar tonelico turns out to be more about, emotional support and understanding and the ending is literally a battle against the barriers set up by a victim of severe emotional and physical abuse out of their own fear of the world, in order to comfort them and let them live a happier life

that level of innuendo was pretty scandalous at the time

like all PS2 JRPGs it's the story of a boring, bland male protagonist emotionally and physically supporting a much more interesting heroine (though there's two of them this time what a twist) while she works through her problems

they're cool heroines though

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Chev posted:

Excuse me, the protagonist of Another World clearly uses his Earthling intellect to rock a hanging cage back and forth to free himself. None of the indigenous prisoners had figured that out, and it's what leads to the alien revolution

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Edit: misread

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

Excuse me, the protagonist of Another World clearly uses his Earthling intellect to rock a hanging cage back and forth to free himself. None of the indigenous prisoners had figured that out, and it's what leads to the alien revolution

His power is smallness

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Looking through the list of PS2 JRPGs I've play, it's only like half of them that have the cool heroine and bland hero who is inexplicably the actual main character dynamic

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wait, i have a compromise

real yakuza use a gamepad, keyboard will never help you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I throw it onto my Gamefly queue above Octopath Traveler? Or is this a goof
no goof, atelier games are consistently pretty good (which is impressive because there are like 20 of them at this point and gust churns em out once a year), and have a pretty distinct kind of mentality to them. like they're usually pretty low key stories about girls that just want to become really good alchemists, and sometimes use alchemy solve some kind of personal crisis, but also making a lot of friends along the way and having fun. not a series with a lot of standard RPG big cataclysmic scenarios. and also they have about as much combat as most RPGs but the focus is always on collecting materials to craft things rather than just killing monsters for the sake of killing things

between the two of them I'd probably put octopath higher tho, but it is a difficult comparison sometimes because the atelier style is very appealing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

Looking through the list of PS2 JRPGs I've play, it's only like half of them that have the cool heroine and bland hero who is inexplicably the actual main character dynamic

i think tales of symphonia is still like the most egregious example

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

you cant make a girl the main character in a video game haha, you gotta have the boring boy player insert protag

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

corn in the bible posted:

Yes. The fine posters in adtrw claimed that kill la kill was going to be a satire of fanservicey animes but then it just actually was one and they were dumb

Its not so black and white. Lots of people think Bayonetta is fanservicy but it was designed by a woman to be empowering. Lipstick feminism is a thing. Women can be sexual for themselves and not just because of the male gaze.

Kill La Kill kinda goes both ways.

Darling in the Franxxx on the other hand... lol.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can actually see the reason for having the main character be relatively bland compared to the "focus" character--the character the plot is about almost definitionally has to have strong ties to the story's world. The main character usually wants to be someone who doesn't know very much, so that there can be tutorials and exposition for their benefit.

Of course, the main character always being male and focus character always being female is just this

homeless snail posted:

you cant make a girl the main character in a video game haha, you gotta have the boring boy player insert protag

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

to reiterate: Trails in the Sky is good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought the Tidus/Yuna dynamic in FFX worked since the entire plot kind of hinges on Tidus being a dumb jock who doesn't know what's going on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Making Jr. the main character in Xenosaga Ep 2 though, what were they thinking.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

-hideo baba, five minutes before getting kicked off the plane so that tales of berseria could be made

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not so black and white. Lots of people think Bayonetta is fanservicy but it was designed by a woman to be empowering. Lipstick feminism is a thing. Women can be sexual for themselves and not just because of the male gaze.

Kill La Kill kinda goes both ways.

Darling in the Franxxx on the other hand... lol.

i don't really think, kill la kill has any kind of point it wanted to go for in the end, empowering or otherwise

cheetah7071 posted:

I can actually see the reason for having the main character be relatively bland compared to the "focus" character--the character the plot is about almost definitionally has to have strong ties to the story's world. The main character usually wants to be someone who doesn't know very much, so that there can be tutorials and exposition for their benefit.

i think ffx is kind of alright about it, since tidus ends up getting tied into the plot in a decent way without totally overtaking yuna's role as a lead.

tales of xillia is kind of an odd one about this stuff cause both jude and milla are definitely written to be co-leads but it's clear that for the same reasons everything else in xillia feels kinda messy, jude kinda gets more focus overall

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the Tidus/Yuna dynamic in FFX worked since the entire plot kind of hinges on Tidus being a dumb jock who doesn't know what's going on.

Yeah it kinda does. I'm getting sick of the fish out of water protagonists though

cheetah7071 posted:

The main character usually wants to be someone who doesn't know very much, so that there can be tutorials and exposition for their benefit.

This works but it works so well everybody does it all the time :smith:

FFXV's boy-band character dynamic worked so dang well. I want another game like that, but we really really need women in the party, and ideally also some kind of non-human weirdo thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i don't really think, kill la kill has any kind of point it wanted to go for in the end, empowering or otherwise

It is mostly style without substance, yeah. And I never finished it.

I saw it having some cool themes about puberty ala FLCL, which is easily one of my favorite anime of all time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm excited for whatever the next tales game is cause the series is leaning more into less genre standard protags and that owns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite PS2 JRPG stories are Valkyrie Profile 2 and Disgaea. If anything Disgaea has the reverse situation where you have the supportive heroines helping the hero work through poo poo, though the boy is still the main character. VP2 just doesn't fit anywhere on this axis and it owns

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
This talk reminds me that Shadow Hearts was mostly so good with unique JRPG protagonists, Koudelka and Yuri were just fantastic.

Johnny was pretty lame in comparison and exactly what you're all describing, but FTNW was still a good game.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 1, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think it pays off in that game in particular because while Yuna is definitely 100% the protagonist of the main story, the Tidus/Zanarkand framing story is pretty compelling too, and the use of Tidus as narrator goes above and beyond the typical use of the idiot boy proxy that everyone has to explain everything too. like him not understanding anything about anything is a big plot point that pays off pretty well

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I think FFX is the only game with that dynamic I've played where it 100% worked

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think tales of the abyss is actually pretty funny coming right off of symphonia for how it similarly has a setup of a dumbass kid following around a group of people who have a way better picture of what's going on, but it actually frames the entire story around how his lack of understanding extends to him not really understanding himself as a person and all of the mistakes that he makes because of that. and it does all of it without forgetting tear's own stakes and growth in everything that happens

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
At the time I was so used to not really liking the male lead of JRPGs it came as a massive shock when Tales of the Abyss came out and told me that this time I wasn't supposed to like him

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

At the time I was so used to not really liking the male lead of JRPGs it came as a massive shock when Tales of the Abyss came out and told me that this time I wasn't supposed to like him

i like luke a lot, because his growth as a character heavily recontextualizes everything about him constantly across the entire game and he's never just solidly portrayed as a bad person or as a pure being of good who does no harm. he's just, kind of an idiot who fucks up a lot

even in the first act his fear of killing isn't actually portrayed as a weakness, and it's an aspect of his personality that other people in the cast respond to and grow from as the story progresses

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i like luke a lot, because his growth as a character heavily recontextualizes everything about him constantly across the entire game and he's never just solidly portrayed as a bad person or as a pure being of good who does no harm. he's just, kind of an idiot who fucks up a lot

Yeah he's an interesting character because he starts thoroughly unlikable and grows out of it. If he was beginning-of-the-game Luke the whole time he'd be terrible

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Making Jr. the main character in Xenosaga Ep 2 though, what were they thinking.

they were thinking they were going to get a lot more games because iirc each volume was supposed to have a different protag or somesuch.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my favorite moment in FFX, is how supportive and positive Tidus is about Yuna's pilgrimage and then he suddenly has the rug pulled out from under him when he realizes that he's the only one that doesn't know that actually Yuna is preparing to commit ritual suicide. its a big betrayal to tidus & the player because its a huge part of the world that everyone deliberately neglects to tell you about. still stings when I replay it

The Colonel posted:

i think tales of the abyss is actually pretty funny coming right off of symphonia for how it similarly has a setup of a dumbass kid following around a group of people who have a way better picture of what's going on, but it actually frames the entire story around how his lack of understanding extends to him not really understanding himself as a person and all of the mistakes that he makes because of that. and it does all of it without forgetting tear's own stakes and growth in everything that happens
abyss is good too because so much of the writing deals with the complicated metaphysics of the world and it really reinforces how much luke doesn't know about what he doesn't know

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

FFXV's boy-band character dynamic worked so dang well. I want another game like that, but we really really need women in the party, and ideally also some kind of non-human weirdo thing.

Breath of Fire 2, but Ryu is a woman.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The new thread title should be:

Augustus Bloop

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Scooby-Doo?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

its a big betrayal to tidus & the player because its a huge part of the world that everyone deliberately neglects to tell you about.

Really? It was pretty obvious before you leave on the pilgrimage that she was on her way to death. I get it being a surprise to Tidus but if you talk to the NPCs in the first town that all the characters besides Tidus live in I'm pretty sure its spelled out for you if you're paying attention.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Valkyrie Profile, I’ve been improving people’s traits (e.g. Snobbish, Brave, etc.) at the exclusion of combat stats, because maybe I’ll get rewarded for it? Am I wasting my time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

In Valkyrie Profile, I’ve been improving people’s traits (e.g. Snobbish, Brave, etc.) at the exclusion of combat stats, because maybe I’ll get rewarded for it? Am I wasting my time?

The only purpose of those stats is to make them better soldiers for Odin in Asgard (in particular, Freya will ask for einherjar with certain characteristics). They don't do anything for you in the party.

• Locked thread