Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Very cool, I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Where's the new season of Picross on Switch, I'm starting to get the Picross Itch and I already played all the 3DS, Switch, and good iPad ones.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Discount Viscount posted:

BotW's enemies drop materials which can be used for recipes and upgrading all the various outfits. Also remember you have infinite bombs.

can't wait to turn all these bokoblin horns into Kilton coins so i can get very funny but more or less useless masks

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Oh hey I finished Prey despite it bugging out on me. Good game but I don't know if I'll ever feel like playing it again; completed basically everything on my first run through so there's not much else to be done but wander around a spaceship taking pretty pictures

The twist was pretty obvious (probably because it was really blatantly choreographed in all the little flashback scenes super early on), but I liked it nonetheless. The achievement I unlocked said I managed to get the most empathetic ending, but it doesn't look like there could be much variance between them beyond the panel of robots judging you for not doing a sidequest. At least in Dishonored you got a slightly different final level depending on how much of a good guy you were, but in Dishonored 2 and now Prey, there's very little difference beyond a couple of different dialogue lines. I still think Death of the Outsider was the worst for this, where the chaos system is just nonexistent and you basically get to pick which of two video files you want to play before the credits. I like all these games, but the morality systems seem to be getting more and more shallow.

uh anyway video games are good, mostly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

death of the outsider is such an obvious course correction from dlc to standalone game because d2 flopped
really disappointed in the reused levels, and new levels being linear enemy gauntlets

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Hodeo Kojumbo is name of the year 2018

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

death of the outsider is such an obvious course correction from dlc to standalone game because d2 flopped
really disappointed in the reused levels, and new levels being linear enemy gauntlets

Is it not worth picking up on sale if I loved Dishonored 1/2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr E posted:

Is it not worth picking up on sale if I loved Dishonored 1/2

Replay Dishonored 2 while imagining bad pretentious dialog and you've got Death of the Outsider

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mr.Kattykat posted:

Oh hey I finished Prey despite it bugging out on me. Good game but I don't know if I'll ever feel like playing it again; completed basically everything on my first run through so there's not much else to be done but wander around a spaceship taking pretty pictures

The twist was pretty obvious (probably because it was really blatantly choreographed in all the little flashback scenes super early on), but I liked it nonetheless. The achievement I unlocked said I managed to get the most empathetic ending, but it doesn't look like there could be much variance between them beyond the panel of robots judging you for not doing a sidequest. At least in Dishonored you got a slightly different final level depending on how much of a good guy you were, but in Dishonored 2 and now Prey, there's very little difference beyond a couple of different dialogue lines. I still think Death of the Outsider was the worst for this, where the chaos system is just nonexistent and you basically get to pick which of two video files you want to play before the credits. I like all these games, but the morality systems seem to be getting more and more shallow.

uh anyway video games are good, mostly

I liked Prey's moral choices because they actually felt like moral choices. They graded me on a lot of stuff that I did without thinking much about it because I just felt it was the right choice and I never expected to actually be judged at the end.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Death of the Outsider managed to make the blink ability un-fun to use, after two and a half games where they left it alone

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm chipping away at Obduction and this game is scratching an itch I had forgotten that I had, while also loving with me so right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

C-Euro posted:

I'm chipping away at Obduction and this game is scratching an itch I had forgotten that I had, while also loving with me so right.

Check out the Rhem games if you miss old difficult Myst ripoffs and don't mind the bizarre decision to make games in the modern era using macromedia director

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Monthly reminder to take breaks every hour of playing games. I’m serious, please do this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's honestly heartbreaking that the original masters of Riven were lost and we'll likely never get an HD rerelease unless it's built up from scratch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I had a lot of fun playing Obduction in PSVR even though it was severely limited that way. Wandering around an imaginative wonderland is a great use of VR.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I can't stop playing and failing at Tangledeep due to blithe overconfidence every single time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

Monthly reminder to take breaks every hour of playing games. I’m serious, please do this

I refuse. No gods, no masters.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

july games update:

hollow knight is still owning. i got the monarch's wings, but feel like i've really gone through this game in a weird order. having a lot of fun dreamnailing everything for its response

watched my partner play through farcry 5 and it looks.... better than i thought it would, to be honest? the music in particular seems to be really great. getting a silencer and massive scope on a machine gun seems to make a lot of situations very, very redundant

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

It's honestly heartbreaking that the original masters of Riven were lost and we'll likely never get an HD rerelease unless it's built up from scratch.

Aw gently caress I had forgotten about this :( Game looks pretty good for being 20 years old TBH, but in HD (or even in full 3D :fap:) it would be something else.

alf_pogs posted:

hollow knight is still owning. i got the monarch's wings, but feel like i've really gone through this game in a weird order. having a lot of fun dreamnailing everything for its response

Hollow Knight is the first Metroidvania I've played in a long time (maybe even ever) that feels like you can truly go through the game in any order. You're railroaded through the first two or three sections but after that you can really just follow your curiosity and be fine.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Hollow Knight is the first Metroidvania I've played in a long time (maybe even ever) that feels like you can truly go through the game in any order. You're railroaded through the first two or three sections but after that you can really just follow your curiosity and be fine.

the references to Dark Souls are pretty obvious but i think HK really understands that Dark Souls is basically a 3D metroidvania without upgrade locks. point you in the right direction a little, then suddenly just let you have it.

i can't gush enough about HK though; i feel like at $18 (AUD) it's a steal. i've played first party games that are way way way worse than this. Team Cherry rock

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope hk gives me the wall jump soon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i hope hk gives me the wall jump soon

I think there's already a wall jump in Deadly Standing?

Thanks Hodeo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk4Hcjqn3VE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's really the only complaint I have about it- the freeform structure means you might spend a lot of time wandering around gimped because a basic upgrade like that is in the one corner you didn't think to check.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Real hurthling! posted:

Why did Dishonoured 2 flop again?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Has Arkane ever had a game sell well on release? They do some good work but I think most people became enamored with Dishonored and Prey once they were already on deep discount.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

Replay Dishonored 2 while imagining bad pretentious dialog and you've got Death of the Outsider

afaik 3 people were involved in writing DOTO which is bizarre and one of them was brought in solely because they used to write Dishonored fanfiction.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

Has Arkane ever had a game sell well on release? They do some good work but I think most people became enamored with Dishonored and Prey once they were already on deep discount.

my brother told me about dishonored way before it came out and we both ended up playing it on release. good game

GUI posted:

afaik 3 people were involved in writing DOTO which is bizarre and one of them was brought in solely because they used to write Dishonored fanfiction.

*cracks knuckles* Time To Get To Work

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dishonored 2 launched with some technical issues but even so it wouldn't have sold well. The immersive sim genre was never popular (even the original Deus Ex was a cult hit) and nowadays the era of the semi-linear 15-20 hour 60 dollar game with no multiplayer/online is over.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GUI posted:

Dishonored 2 launched with some technical issues but even so it wouldn't have sold well. The immersive sim genre was never popular (even the original Deus Ex was a cult hit) and nowadays the era of the semi-linear 15-20 hour 60 dollar game is over.

I dont buy into the whole EA 'Single player is dead' spiel.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm surprised that arkane is even able to keep making them but also pleased. i guess bethesda's endless fallout and elder scrolls money is good for something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I dont buy into the whole EA 'Single player is dead' spiel.

Single-player may not be dead, but the hope of seeing AAA SP games from multiplat publishers without some kind of microtransaction tail everybody hates is deffo on the decline. Sony and Nintendo still invest in them because they have to sell consoles.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Colonel posted:

i'm surprised that arkane is even able to keep making them but also pleased. i guess bethesda's endless fallout and elder scrolls money is good for something

Who knows how long that'll last since Arkane, just like MachineGames (Wolfenstein), was/has been hiring online programmers since last year. The latest Prey DLC is some twitch-friendly roguelite (? someone can correct me on this) thing and the upcoming Wolfenstein stand alone DLC is based around online co-op.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
good third party aaa titles are mostly dead and most big third party western publishers don't see making a greater number of cheaper games as an alternative worth bothering with despite it being something other corners of the market have found plenty of success doing

so now we have the new beyond good & evil 2, a game distinguishing itself from the original beyond good & evil and the original scrapped bge2 by being nothing anyone who liked bge1 wanted from bge2

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 2, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

good third party aaa titles are mostly dead and most big third party western publishers don't see making a greater number of cheaper games as an alternative worth bothering with despite it being something other corners of the market have found plenty of success doing

It's in the publishers' best interests that production costs remain high so that it increases the barriers to entry for competition and the likelihood that any fledgling studio will need to sign on with them for distribution.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

It's in the publishers' best interests that production costs remain high so that it increases the barriers to entry for competition and the likelihood that any fledgling studio will need to sign on with them for distribution.

yeah and that's loving garbage

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I mean in principle steam was supposed to help with that, but well.

Publishers largely not wanting to put out smaller games also sucks because a lot of genres really only fit in that category and can't really be turned into 60 hour multimillion dollar projects, but the publishers have a lot of talented developers who could make quality small or mid budget games. Not to say indie devs aren't doing their best to fill the gap, but professional teams and budgets do make a difference. Speaking mostly of western developers here since Japan at least has more of a mid tier presence.

Basically what I'm saying is it sucks that no major companies are willing to make the types of games I like and have time for.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That's what the Ubi Art releases were supposed to be, right?

Also EA just published that yarn game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

Single-player may not be dead, but the hope of seeing AAA SP games from multiplat publishers without some kind of microtransaction tail everybody hates is deffo on the decline. Sony and Nintendo still invest in them because they have to sell consoles.

Games so good they sell consoles and sell like crazy but no third party wants a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It's not ideal but AAA gaming being increasingly crammed with grubby garbage features just means more time for cool smaller games and visiting stuff I missed/old favorites, so it's hard to be too bummed on a personal level.

• Locked thread