Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NeruNox/status/1011590648590426113

It's July and almost no games are coming out this month!

Red Faction: Guerrilla Remastered (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) - July 3
Mushroom Wars 2 (Nintendo Switch) - July 5
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr (PlayStation 4, Xbox One) - July 5
20XX (PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch) - July 10
20XX (Xbox One) - July 11
MXGP Pro (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) - July 10
Shining Resonance Refrain (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch) - July 10
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS) - July 13
Earthfall (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) - July 13
Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch) - July 13
Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) - July 13
Sonic Mania Plus (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch) - July 17
Pool Panic (Nintendo Switch, PC) - July 19
The Banner Saga 3 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC) - July 24
Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC) - July 24
Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC) - July 24
No Man's Sky (Xbox One) - July 24
Train Sim World (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC) - July 24
Sleep Tight (Nintendo Switch, PC) - July 26
Code of Princess EX (Nintendo Switch) - July 31

I'm probably missing something but that's really about it. There's a few things but overall a month to catch up I guess.

Also if you're reading this, my birthday is on the 22nd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They did the same with the normal MM Legacy collection which they have even less of an excuse for.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:lol: Vol 2 literally has one game that isn't complete garbage, while vol 1 is all good. Why would you even get vol 2?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never played any of them so I'm gonna get both.

Also it probably works out better for Capcom just to split them up evenly regardless of quality so that people can just pick up the one instead of unevenly and pissing off people.

At least wait for vol 2 to be discounted. X5 is playable but really mediocre, X6 is terrible, X7 is terrible AND adds horrifically bad 3D elements that make the Legends series seem like it has good controls, and X8 is pretty good, but honestly still worse than X1-4

Also I realize why they split it that way but the quality distribution shows they just shouldn't have split it

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 1, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

GANDHITRON posted:

I could be wrong, but it looks like Vol. 1 & 2 aren't separate releases. The preorder page on Amazon just lists them both together for $40. It's probably one box, two discs.

I think the physical release is all in one but the digital is split up

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Has is been brought up in the game chat thread that Jim Carrey is in talks to be playing Eggman in the Sonic movie? because for some reason Jim Carrey is in talks to play Eggman in the Sonic movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The GC Controller is comfortable and good for the games made for it but the ways it' differs from the way controllers ended up going are really bad, don't really improve even the games it was made for and make it a chore when playing a game not made for it. Basically it had a good analog stick (though that only applies to the left one) and a comfortable shape and everything else was bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, Hollow Knight keeps crashing on me during the boss of the game and the thing is aggregating enough that I'm reluctant to put all that much effort in right now

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Most things like that have smoothers but they can pretty much always be turned off

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God damnit Hollow Knight STOP CRASHING DURING THE BOSS OF THE GAME FIGHT

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Not Myst???? How DARE they!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
WL2 is definitely better than 3. They both have neat gimmicks but the multi-path nature of WL2 is ultimately more satisfying than the multiple time of day thing in WL3

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I think 4 is the best Wario Land which is saying a lot because I only played it for the first time a couple of years ago and I have an insane amount of nostalgia for WL2!

4 getting rid of the invincibility thing soured me on it more than it probably should of but I really liked that concept and the game just didn't feel as interesting without it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

where's the evil peach, beach. and the evil bowser, dowser

Late but when they were designing Waluigi they also wanted to make a Peach equivalent named Wapeachy but Miyamoto didn't want to see what he assumed would a hideous lady added to the lineup and shot down the idea. I swear I am not making this up

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also Sega are making August a busy month

Yakuza 0 Steam - August 1
Shenmue 1 & 2 - August 21
Yakuza Kiwami 2 PS4 - August 28

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Lmao I thought I posted that in the idiots of social media thread. Sorry everyone!

It's okay, I didn't need that will to live anyways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
anyone have any thoughts on Onrush?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To someone who has never played another YS game, how is YS Origin?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As much as I like the Souls games and the genre it created, I kind of want to live in the world where 3D Dot Game Hero was the surprise hit that made From a powerhouse.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Adventure Island is a kind of bad game that the people that got good at it will not allow to be called a bad game because of how much time they put into getting good at it.

Unrelated, finally beat Hollow Knight. This would have happened like a week ago but the game kept crashing on the final fight and nothing takes away the will to try again and again at a pain in the rear end, hard as nails, overly long boss fight like the knowledge that it could also just crash at any second. Still, finally got through it and while there is still a few things I could do, I think I'll take my 101% and move onto another game (at least until they get the Hornet campaign done).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to me that the main character in Adventure Island was some random Japanese celebrity and when they brought it to the west they kept him looking exactly the same but changed his name which I guess was necessary for...reasons.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Because I apparently didn't get enough of playing bad games that people only bring up ironically with Knack, I am now playing through Sonic Forces

It is far FAR better than Knack, and nothing anyone does can take that away.

Nintendo's NitW ripoff looking good so far.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The main thing I remember about Axiom Verge was that the bosses were just abysmal. Like a while ago someone said that the bosses in Hollow Knight were bad and the very worst in that is loving Lady Maria compared to some of the unfun slogs AV had. I remember the first couple being dull but tolerable but after that they just become terrible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

I look at all these posts outlining personal grievances against the game and I feel nothing but sorrow for the posters.

:lol:
"I weep for those that don't have my superior brain that truly gets why needing to buy a new map in every area is a good thing!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Are there any games made by a solo dev that are good? It seems like 2 is the magic number.

Does Vambleer work alone?

Stardew Valley
Papers Please
Rollercoaster Tychoon
Tetris

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Balloon Fight is nothing but a dull Joust clone :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

shantae is more of a monster world iv than a castlevania or a metroid

It depends which one. The series has kind of varied how interconnected and explorable it's world is from game to game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm actually cool with reviewers not finishing games so long as they are up front about how much they did play.

I really don't think it's too much to ask for someone that is presumably being paid to play video games to actually finish the game.

I can see exceptions when the game is broken or just barely playable but saying "i would rather move on to other things now because this game is long" is kind of a poo poo excuse and really does make it kind of likely the review will end up being useless.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

How much do you think reviewers get paid to write a game review? Because whatever it is, I promise you, it’s not enough to make playing a 200 hour JRPG epic to completion a reasonable hourly wage.

Which is to say, there gotta be some limits and if a genius game auteur decides to hide the best parts of the game behind secret endings or third playthroughs, maybe the auteur is gonna have to be OK with a score that does not reflect the entirety of their work.

I don't like being the "but that's their job" guy...but that's their job. Like it's a dream job where you get paid to play video games but like every job ever it will have some downsides. If you want to be a professional video game critic then sometimes you have to slog through a long game you don't like. If you don't like it there are millions of people online that will do your job for free in a second. I understand the plight of workers and how people in industries like this will take advantage of you every which way they can and the public in general is extremely unreasonable but I also think it really is the bare minimum of the job to complete the game, even if it's longer than you would have liked.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say the other problems with a reviewer quitting after playing one of eight paths in a game is he is pretty much making sure his review doesn't have some of the most basic information that someone would come to their review for. Like, I'm not saying every reviewer has to find everything about a game but if I'm looking at a review for Octopath, I definitely would like to find out if the other paths are different, if they aren't that different how exactly are they different, is it worth playing more than one path, what are some advantages that would come in playing more than one path, will I get everything from playing one path, what will I miss when I only play one path and so on and so on. Like this isn't unimportant stuff to note when talking about the quality of the game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm so fuckin bad at Lumines. I can barely break lvl 30. I never have a clue what to do with the X blocks and I can't keep a combo going to save my life.

In my experience, Lumines is kind of like Catherine in that you need to get to a point where you just know how to react to the block rather than think about what to do with them. Like the checker blocks I think are the biggest roadblock to new players and you just have to get good at knowing where those fit in, when they should be split and when you should just place it in a way that will be useful if special block comes along. I'm not even great at the game but at this point, every turn is either making squares are making a path of lines that connect enough that they can all be cleared out by the special block.

My main problem with the game is I'm partially color blind and really late in the game this suddenly becomes a problem on a few levels that I just have to white knuckle my way through and hope for the best.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I recently played through Sonic Forces because I like Sonic games and it didn't look that bad to me.

It really wasn't that bad, just really bland and unremarkable. If it hadn't been released after Mania, I don't think it would have been liked but it would have just been a mostly ignored Sonic game rather than the source of derision that gets brought up like it's 2006 or Boom. It's certainly not a good game but it's mostly just sort of there with a ton of quick forgettable easy levels. The controls are way to loose but that's only a problem once in awhile. Of the Sonics I've played, I'd put it just below Unleashed. It doesn't ever reach the lows of the game but ti also doesn't come close to hitting the highs of that game either.

Now I'm playing Owlboy and ooh boy people were not kidding when they talked about the plot being kind of irritating. I can see what they were going for but having a character that prominent be that irredeemably obnoxious is kind of hard to sit through.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While "there's a front page?" is pretty much the oldest joke in the forums, I still find it vaguely depressing that the front page is mostly dead, maybe updating a handful of times a month at this point.

Also The Barkwire series is perhaps the greatest story ever told.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The "Customer is always right" mentality is one of the worst ideas to infect the workforce.

Also the idea that it's justifiable because she was rude to a customer even though it was on her own time is baffling to me. Like literally everybody you can interact with is a potential customer. Having people expect people to be on their best behavior at all times so they don't reflect badly on the brands they work for is some poo poo that I think most dystopian authors would throw out for being too much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With modern TED talks you're far more likely to get a random person spouting empty platitudes based on nothing but make you feel smart than you are to get an actual expert with something interesting, well researched and new to say.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All I really know about how TED Talks are organized I know from listening to NPR while working on weekends and the TED Radio Hour is mostly the worst with an occasional person who isn't an insufferable person with an insufferable powerpoint presentation that is being presented in an insufferable format.

Still, I often end up listening because I'm too lazy to fiddle with my MP3 player, the other NPR station is playing Celtic Music, modern music radio is even worse than it was when people listened to it and I don't like silence.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing with better graphics is that there is more pressure to actually make something logical. Like in modern games you want a house to look like an actual house that someone might actually live in and locals just generally need to match up to their real life locations. With older games, that just didn't matter. That isn't to say they didn't try but after a while they just went "gently caress it". The original Doom is not a game that exists in modern game design. Doom's levels are nonsense designed to have a level that feels good but in no way really gives much of a sense of location or tries to tell a story with it's level design. It's the bare minimum but does what it does perfectly. One of the reasons Doom 3 turned off so many because it hosed up the ratio of how much effort was put into creating a location that felt real compared to how much effort was just put into making it a game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

there are other considerations too. for example, if you want to make tomb raider visually more realistic you have to round off all the edges, which means you have to get rid of precision jumping and movement puzzles because it's no longer possible to tell easily what something's slope is or how Lara will interact with it. this results in a game with less actual complexity because so much has to be automated in order to make up for the visual design no longer helping the player -- either you make jumps basically lock on, or you mark where the player needs to go very easily (or both, in the case of modern tomb raider).

DETECTIVE VISION became popular because game developers no longer know how to make things seem important in the environment so they just use a hacky solution and make everything you can actually interact with yellow. there's no economy which ironically breeds simpler games as a result

not everyone is guilty of this! mario continues to have a variety of ways to move and jump, and levels designed wholly around using those to explore. so i got respect for nintendo in that regard, yeah. the spirit of mario 64 remains alive and that is cool. it's certainly possible to build comprehensible, working level designs in high fidelity, but it is extremely hard.

God of War found a good way to make things stand out that actually has the more overlooked and better ending twist tied to it.

Also, yeah Mario and Nintendo in general have always found an easy middle ground of making the levels look like things when the design of the area didn't matter and making it abstract as hell when they need to do that with a million shaded in between (with New Donk City being an incredible blending of the two).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Atari games could look very good if you take into account the limitations. pitfalls one and especially Pitfall 2 look crude but you're never lacking anything and the visuals have some genuine charm.

They also sometimes managed stuff like this on the 2600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAX2SAIR67A

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhHMAcRSwU

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

what game is this. my, er, friend wants to know . for science :D

Beat Em and Eat Em I believe

There was also another one where you had to catch milk dripping from witch's teet

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 17, 2018

• Locked thread