Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Octopath and Captain Toad are my buys this month. Hey maybe I’ll finally finish and plat God of War since those are the only two good games releasing this month.

Real hurthling! posted:

Imo you should bad mouth the couple to mutual friends for years until someone else does the dirty work for you. Unless its like violent or whatever then its probably best not to be a coward like moi

Hey that’s my move don’t steal it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

The only good X is X3: Terran Conflict

250 hours in and still no Duff McWhalen or Chill Penguin. Just a ton of space stations I had to use third party scripts to make into not a complete mess. This isn’t an X game at all!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Very cool, I want one.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Where's the new season of Picross on Switch, I'm starting to get the Picross Itch and I already played all the 3DS, Switch, and good iPad ones.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

Single-player may not be dead, but the hope of seeing AAA SP games from multiplat publishers without some kind of microtransaction tail everybody hates is deffo on the decline. Sony and Nintendo still invest in them because they have to sell consoles.

Games so good they sell consoles and sell like crazy but no third party wants a piece.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

It's not a question of profit, it's a question of scale. Like Horizon Zero Dawn got all kinds of great reviews, won tons of awards and sold 8 million units in a year, which is about equal to... *checks notes* the lifetime sales of video game pariah and object of mass ridicule Star Wars Battlefront II. And it doesn't have the microtransactions or lootboxes that are responsible for the vast majority of money EA makes. Even if they lost every single one of their other licenses they'd still make $700mil a year from FIFA cards, poo poo's ridiculous. And they can keep churning out the same FIFA with the same monetization model year after year, whereas single-player games have to take creative risks all the time and there's always the danger that the next game may not be as big of a hit. When it comes to pleasing your shareholders, nobody is gonna simply like "lots of money" when "metric shitton of money" is the other option. They're gonna re-up on the metric shitton every time, and what's more they're gonna say gently caress you to the studios only making lots of money, go make a game more like the metric shitton of money!

It’s classic share-holder wanting quarterly profits and obscuring the possibilities of the future. There is never as much money in single player games (Skyrim aside) but darlings like HZD, Breath of the Wild, and God of War improve the quality of your brand, get you good press, and make it easier for players to swallow DLC/microtransactions, as we’ve seen in action with Nintendo. If Battlefront 2 been accompanied by that Amy Hennig-written single player game or the lost Lucas Arts bounty hunter game, it would have been easier to forgive and not depended on 50%+ sales two weeks from release to get the same sales numbers that HZD and BotW got.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

Moving loving sucks

Yeah, especially in July. After moving every year for three years straight, it’s been nice living in the same apartment for nearly 4 years. But then I’m moving 1500 miles away in January. Fun stuff.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I'm down for some Pizza Pizza Grilled Pizza

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yoshi has like a million brothers and sisters that are all different colors. There is no evil Yoshi because Yoshi is not inherently good but an amoral demon dinosaur hurling its own eggs at friend and foe alike.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

mutata posted:

The thing about going into consumer debt for a thing is that debt continues to build and build and it can VERY quickly double, triple, etc in size. In fact, it's designed that way. It's specifically formulated to make it as easy as possible for you to wake up one day and suddenly owe many times more than what you initially spent. You doing nothing but living your life normally and waiting will result in you owing a ton more money.

Or you save up the cash ahead of time, pay the asking price outright, and then you're done.

v:shobon:v

I'm not going to argue for going into extreme debt but I'll pose a different situation. 5 years ago I totaled my car. It was 23 years old, had served me well, and could have been repaired 10 years earlier but the parts to fix it were so hard to find that it was going to cost more than I paid for the car to repair it. I need a car unfortunately because of work and the city I live in having crappy public transportation. So I have a decent job but only a few thousand dollars saved up. At this point, I could buy a used car outright with the money I had saved that wasn't going to last nearly as long as my old car (they literally don't make them like they used to... it was a Honda era 1990 Acura Legend) or I could put a down payment on a new Civic or Fit and pay it off in <3 years, having paid ~1-2k in interest to borrow that money to buy the car. I borrowed the money and bought the car. Granted, my partner and I have steady employment. I still maintain it was the right decision as this car, as newish Hondas tend to, hasn't had a single problem in the 5+ years since I bought it.

My opinion is that it's OK to go into debt as long as you calculate the risk and the need is justified. Applying this to the Lasik problem, I'd say it's probably something that can wait until FAK and KCB are in a more stable situation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the way my eye doc explained to me was that your eyes will continue to get worse, so you shouldn't do eye surgery until your prescription stops changing very quickly. They recommended it because it had been like 5 years since I went in and my prescription barely changed.

I have a friend who got it around 40 for the same reason and it’s been years and his eyes are still great. However, it was partially covered by insurance and his prescription hadn’t changed in a decade, so obviously ymmv

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Can you catch hand mouth and foot disease from a controller onto your hands and/or that area under the stomach paunch, this is important

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

homeless snail posted:

oh also the other thing about playing Z in 2018 is that I realized that the clash royale type of strategy game is literally just Z with an extra army customization contrivance

Wait, is Z that rts where everyone is a hillbilly robot

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Monster Hunter is king of dinosaur games. The Videogamus Rex if you will.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Samus is a 6’10” musclebound terror capable of destroying entire pirate fortresses and is the adoptive mother of the last Metroid, an animal bred to destroy the universe. The question you should be asking is why you don’t have her in your avatar.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Ori and Guacamelee are great metrodvanias imo. Still getting through Hollow Knight. It’s really good. I like the exploration and art style and how you can find things and die but when you die, you don’t lose the things you found. You only lose money, which you can get back easily by going to the area you died. It’s a really forgiving game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

glam rock hamhock posted:

The main thing I remember about Axiom Verge was that the bosses were just abysmal. Like a while ago someone said that the bosses in Hollow Knight were bad and the very worst in that is loving Lady Maria compared to some of the unfun slogs AV had. I remember the first couple being dull but tolerable but after that they just become terrible.

They're very Metroid 1-ish. Just sitting there while you shoot them a ton and you occasionally jump.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

chumbler posted:

The state of reviews in general being what it is is disappointing because of all the interesting ways games can be dissected, from purely a mechanical standpoint to story and themes and overall synthesis of the whole thing. Even just the question of how to critically approach a game that is unambitious but competent and satisfying vs one that reaches but doesn't quite succeed at what it's trying is an interesting discussion.

Basically talking about games is interesting, and trying to boil it down to should you play it is a disservice.

In addition to what In Training said, keep in mind that every gamer has their own preference for reviews. I’ve seen, on this sub forum, people argue that their is absolutely a way to distill every game to a number on a scale relative to each other in an objective way and that this is the only way reviews should be done. Alternatively, I’ve seen people here say that a review should give no number or even recommendation at all and just discuss the game.

I think ultimately you just have to read reviews from sources you trust and support them if possible.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

I kinda hate combat in ori and also how in those chase sequences poo poo just kills you by surprise until you memorize it all

I was lucky in that I beat those pretty quickly. The music continuing instead of repeating also made those deaths more painless.

It was an odd game for me in that it initially felt too cloying but by the end, I was fully emotionally engaged.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
They were separate but related. gently caress if I can remember anymore but it was all around the same time DnD had the beginning of an “all lives matter” problem.

Fallout 2 intro dungeon was dumb. The game was so just great for its time that it was worth killing those ants over and over.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I think losing that particular Facebook friend may have been a win, fak.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Oh look I missed XC2 talk. The combat and customization are great. The environment and audio design are great for modern JRPG's and RPG's in general. It's especially good coming from XCX where the soundtrack had hits but the audio design as a whole was kind of a disaster. A lot of the side quests are pretty fun and cute, if not on the same level as XCX's. There's a silly "villain" character who is great in every scene he appears in and most of the main cast of heroes are pretty well-done and have pretty good VA. Most of the moment to moment writing is pretty good.

Now for the bad: the idea of people being literal weapons is weird and unsettling from the get-go and only gets weirder and more uncomfortable the further into the story you get. The character design is incredibly uneven due to so many artists involved, with some being really well-done and some being cheesecake to hold up the plot, with a fair bit of over-design to go around. The cheesecake mixed with the literal objectification of people makes for an especially unsettling combo. The gacha is so bad that almost every game update has done something to make it less of a pain in the rear end. For a long while after release, every time you collected a new weapon, you would have to spend a pretty long amount of time watching a non-skippable animation to find out what weapon it was. The game encourages you to get dozens if not hundreds of these. They eventually made the animations skippable but it kinda feels like they should have ditched the gacha altogether and tweaked that system. While the game looks great, especially on the frankly underpowered Switch, the way it does graphics streaming means there are a lot of times where you're walking around an area that hasn't quite generated yet and textures look like garbage for a while.

Still, easy to recommend for fans of the genre.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 11, 2018

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

1. ArenaNet writer tweets a thread about writing the main character in GW2 and the challenges in making them seem to have a personality without actually having a personality.
2. GW2 streamer (who, in fairness to him, had expressed his appreciation for her writing and her openness during AMAs more than once during her time at ArenaNet) responds to her in a way that reads as polite from the outside but could also be read as pretty condescending.
3. Writer uses his response as an example of mansplaining and also responds in a snarky manner. Apparently the big sticking point with ArenaNet is that she referred to him as a "rando asshat."
4. Turns out GW2 has a lot of very toxic people in the community who began to brigade and harass her.
5. A male writer who works with her stepped in to defend her side. Both he and the first writer make the argument that these are their personal social media accounts and they don't have to be nice to you just because you play GW2.
6. The next day, both writers were fired in what seemed like a pretty nasty manner, including a forum post from ArenaNet's CEO accusing them of "attacks on the community."

That's the whole story, basically.

The most important bit is the final part, because it caused the community and people outside the community to continue stalking and harassing her. It was retribution. What she said was sorta rude but tame compared to what Kamiya just said incidentally.

Oh yeah also some bigwig at anet minimized her work and said “she only wrote one scene” even though she was lead on the last expansion. Turns out that company is kind of a trash fire.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Can there be a twitter except it's just for writers and comedians? I want that version of twitter.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

doingitwrong posted:

I have some bad news for you about writers and comedians…

I'd rather be able to go "hey that writer is racist" and point that out than have 99% of twitter be a ouroboros of absolute poo poo but hey that's just me. Also Accordian Man's suggestion that the place not be run by a white supremacist would be a nice addition.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

homeless snail posted:

sorry its a tech company, they're run exclusively by white supremacists

For the brief moment that my old company was run by a dog, legally speaking, that was not true.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
No matter how well the Arby's twitter is managed and how neat the things are that they post, they can't undo the fact that they are still the twitter account for Arby's.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I don’t need to see 2B’s butt acne, but I can only speak for myself on this issue.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

codenameFANGIO posted:

That’s just what David Duchovny sounds like.

I have heard his album and he sounds like he is singing in his sleep, it is sort of impressive.

I would listen to Duchovny to get to sleep. His voice is just enchanting :allears:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Taintrunner posted:

Same for the most part. I rarely if ever watch behind the scenes stuff or panels or whatever. I'd rather keep my 4th wall up. Which is weird, because I'm on a first name basis with one of the leads in my favorite show, The Expanse, which just had an incredible 3rd season.

<3 Shohreh

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Oh no don’t go oh well

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I forgot Firefall was a thing. What a disaster.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Stuck at work and then have a classical music show I committed to so no Captain Toad or Octopath until late tonight. I feel like a 13 year old watching the clock waiting for the school bell.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dewgy posted:

I just rolled through Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy and I remember going “holy crap, Sam was Troy Baker!?” During the credits of 4 and managing to forget it halfway through Lost Legacy.

I was like “oh it’s really cool they could get Sam’s actor to come back for... oh right it’s Troy Baker”.

The fact that Laura Bailey was Nadine Ross didn’t hit me until the credits of Lost Legacy and I still barely believe it. With that and how they somehow managed to get Nolan North to sound unrecognizable for Last of Us I think they have the best voice directors in the business.

I think the only person who still gets past their voice director and stands out is Robin Atkin Downes, and I don’t even know if that’s a complaint.

Absolutely some of the best in class voice and sound direction in gaming along with great talent. It makes a difference.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Very true. Even when doing remote voice work, having other actors involved increases quality immensely.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's an integral part to beating Zeromus for a lot of people. Including me all like 6 times I beat him.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

3 pw 1 V 2 4

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I started as the hunter. So, uh, I can say with certainty that the game is designed to destroy ESL folks because it uses so many English dialects.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Colonel posted:

i'm sorry, are you sure you're not thinking of

I’m pretty sure it’s actually that Desperate Housewives game citb users to do monthly plays of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The the twists and turns with the Decoy Octopus fake-outs in MGS1 were good. Also the MGS2 fakeout with Raiden is classic. Going to admit, the Bioshock command thing totally got me even though I'd already figured out who the real bad guy was.

• Locked thread