Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay, now I'm expecting her to not have actually abandoned her daughter, but actually just got a job managing Connie and flies back and forth regularly, and is often too tired to play badminton with Ayano. Ayano just conveniently cuts those parts out of her flashback.

Ayano being an unreliable narrator shonen villain would be pretty ok way to solve mom problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ayano being an unreliable narrator shonen villain would be pretty ok way to solve mom problems.

The problem is that even during Connie's flashback the show did nothing to make it seem like she wasn't a bad mom. She had this awkward look on her face like ugh I can't believe I have to talk about my faildaughter

If Ayano is an unreliable narrator, so is Connie.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Hanebado crossover that makes the most sense yet is also WTF

https://twitter.com/hanebaki/status/1035475618266112000

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well, I guess it makes more sense than a Love Live x M.D. Geist collab or something like that.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Yujiro and Uchika meeting, please.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Suddenly I have a guess about what happened to Ayano's dad.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I love how Gaku's character story and progression is presented through off-screen implications.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AnacondaHL posted:

I love how Gaku's character story and progression is presented through off-screen implications.

Everyone's actually been pretty dang relevant, even if they didn't get the screen time. Ayano continues to be horrible.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

OH YEAH!

Hayama's opponent is such a nice boy. That was, like, the first match in the series without a ton of baggage attached between the competitors. It's like, "yeah, we lost. This is fun tho so let's keep playing after high school."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Everyone's actually been pretty dang relevant, even if they didn't get the screen time. Ayano continues to be horrible.

I just love how they gradually turned who at first looked like the series protagonist into the villain. I have a feeling that Nagisa's gonna be the winner in the end, since every episode is showing the people losing growing and becoming better from it, and she's already done that at the beginning of the series. Ayano's the only one who hasn't gone through that character arc, since when she first lost against Connie she was trying to play the "it didn't really count" card, and was rightfully called out on it by Sora.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Once again I am gobsmacked at the sheer incompetence of the adults managing the Bad Club. At the initial conference about Nagisa's knee after Coach goes "There'll be other matches" which is better than nothing the advisor follows that up with "WOW you are SO SIMILAR, but he put his health in front of THAT SINGLE CHANCE OF GLORY IN THE SUN, and now he is a coach... at a highschool lol". The second conference reveals his take on Ayano riding that shuttlecock straight to hell is "provocations", I wouldn't be surprised if he took Ayano aside next episode and gave her two thumbs up for her sweet sledging skills.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol a lot at the confession :3:

Aragaki... :ohdear:

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
The drop in animation quality for parts of ep 10 was suppper noticeable, but it looked like they saved their budget for the best parts anyway.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Its going to be interesting to see what they do with Uchika. From what I know of the manga Ayano isn't that badly affected by it or at least gets over it and its treated more lightly as Uchika just not being that motherly and as a kind of Ging-esque 'Come find me when you're ready for greater challenges' thing. So I really respect the anime for going 'Um, thats actually pretty hosed up and would screw your child up you idiot.' At the same time its caused people to really loathe her and get very hostile towards her actions and relationships when I don't think the anime has actually portrayed her as being malicious or a bad person. I doubt the anime is going to paint her as a villain or have Ayano completely sever the relationship as people seem to be expecting so I'm anticipating some serious backlash.

I also like the change in Ayano's character a lot from how in the manga she's utterly curbstomped everyone she's played against and is just unreachably above everyone else.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Nephthys posted:

Its going to be interesting to see what they do with Uchika. From what I know of the manga Ayano isn't that badly affected by it or at least gets over it and its treated more lightly as Uchika just not being that motherly and as a kind of Ging-esque 'Come find me when you're ready for greater challenges' thing. So I really respect the anime for going 'Um, thats actually pretty hosed up and would screw your child up you idiot.' At the same time its caused people to really loathe her and get very hostile towards her actions and relationships when I don't think the anime has actually portrayed her as being malicious or a bad person. I doubt the anime is going to paint her as a villain or have Ayano completely sever the relationship as people seem to be expecting so I'm anticipating some serious backlash.

I also like the change in Ayano's character a lot from how in the manga she's utterly curbstomped everyone she's played against and is just unreachably above everyone else.

Frankly, If they've changed things from the manga I don't see why they have to reconcile what Anime-character-X does with what Manga-character-X did. I don't care what manga Utena did, as far as I'm concerned Utena turned into a loving car.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

w00tazn posted:

The drop in animation quality for parts of ep 10 was suppper noticeable, but it looked like they saved their budget for the best parts anyway.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nephthys posted:

I get the impression she doesn't quite grasp the idea of someone not having their every waking thought devoted to pro-level badminton.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I get the impression she doesn't quite grasp the idea of someone not having their every waking thought devoted to pro-level badminton.

Hanebado is actually about the trauma of being raised by a shounen sports protagonist.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Ayano stop being an rear end in a top hat, yeesh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Hanebado is actually about the trauma of being raised by a shounen sports protagonist.
WHOA. :aaaaa:

So basically Uchika is a low-rent Jotaro?

e: This was poorly edited. Sorry. :shobon:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 4, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think I realized why Ayano was so resistant to going back.

She knew the demon was there, and it wanted to come out again. Way to go, Elena.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only way to resolve badminton trauma is badminton. like, what was she going to do, spend the rest of her life having healthy goals and relationships while not playing a niche sport?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am Wei Wei, in this scene.

Edit: God drat, Ayano just sucks so much.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 6, 2018

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Heads up the studio said the next episode will be delayed because of the hokkaido earthquake

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Meanwhile, it turns out that in the manga all of our wacky conjecture about badmom raising badminton daughters all over the world might actually be true, since it just revealed she has a Chinese one.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 9, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sindai posted:

Meanwhile, it turns out that in the manga all of our wacky conjecture about badmom raiding badminton daughters all over the world might actually be true, since it just revealed she has a Chinese one.

:smuggo:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ayano-I'm not having anyone talk about me in the past tense!

*Bolts out of the badminton orphanage*

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So... she's basically a less assholish Mitsumasa Kido?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I love crazy Ayano. She didn't even want to play this stupid sport that destroyed her childhood but Elena literally dragged her to the club and everyone else guilted her into playing because she's so talented. Why shouldn't she go into "winning is the only thing" mode? She's the poster child for child prodigies who are forced to participate in something they hate because they're just so talented.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, so apparently the reason why the episode is delayed is because they've been rotoscoping the badminton and the facility they shoot that footage at is having a power outage.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Huh, so apparently the reason why the episode is delayed is because they've been rotoscoping the badminton and the facility they shoot that footage at is having a power outage.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that I'd heard they were doing rotoscoping for some of the badminton stuff. Neat.

Hopefully that's the extent of their troubles with the earthquake aftermath.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Dates for the last 3 episodes have been announced.

EP#11 on 2018/09/16(09/18)

EP#12 on 2018/09/23(09/25)

EP#13 on 2018/09/30(10/02)

http://news.hanebad.com/news_wp/0913-2/

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:toot: Re-engage SPORTS!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I find it really hard to blame Ayano for anything with how completely terrible her mom is.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

She's pretty much being presented as the antagonist but goddamnit her attitude is so justifiable to me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

These would be joke subs for any other sports show.

Edit: I believe in Aragaki.

We're finally going to get bad mom's side of the story next episode. I can't imagine there's any way that she could come out of it looking not horrible, but I don't know whether we'll get Gendo Ikari level bad or Ayano being a somewhat unreliable source.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 16, 2018

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Don't feel so bad, Elena, it's mostly her mom's fault.

Badminton Badmom.

Did the show explicitly say how long ago Badmom left Japan?

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 16, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The little Izumi family is back! :3: Riko is a good sister and friend

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Don't feel so bad, Elena, it's mostly her mom's fault.

Badminton Badmom.

Did the show explicitly say how long ago Badmom left Japan?

I think she left when Ayano was still in elementary school so it would be around 5-6 years probably.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Oh no! Nagisa, it's the other girl you need to defeat! She's got her wires crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ganbatte Aragaki, I believe in you

• Locked thread