Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Knorth posted:

Riko... :smith: I'm glad Aragaki was there for her

also the little Izumi family :3:

Someone make a gif of Izumi’s long rally scene where everyone in the stands is following the shuttlecock back and forth in unison tia

e: nvm searched hanebado on tumblr and someone already made one

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Somebody had better get mad next episode when they realize who Ayano's mom is. Up until now they've basically been taking all these rival characters coming outta nowhere and hammering on Ayano's insecurities with this bland kinda acceptance and it's really taking me out of things.

This. And I really like the animation and sports action of this series but most of the characters are unlikeable.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I forgot is Ayano's mom the consecutive champion of Japan or the world? because I feel like the kids should recognize her if she was the Tiger Woods of women's badminton.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Negrostrike posted:

What about Fredericia's uniforms? Half of it is a swimsuit. Left crotch exposed to the air.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Sindai posted:

I forgot is Ayano's mom the consecutive champion of Japan or the world? because I feel like the kids should recognize her if she was the Tiger Woods of women's badminton.

Japan.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Full OP and ED are out. I especially like the ED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7iW-eD_uus

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jesus, Ayano certainly picked up a flair for power moves after that match with Connie.

Though apparently they decided to tighten up the score for this match for some reason. In the manga Ayano outright destroyed her 21-7 and 21-5, and gotta be honest that's a dumb change to me given everything surrounding the matchup.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Ayano offering her her handkerchief back with her creepy smile was great.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Who knew this anime was going to become Overlord but badminton?

I'm betting Aragaki has to beat Nega-Ayanon to get her to cool down.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This anime is like a warning to people who would eschew the power of friendly competition in favor of dirtbag cutthroat competition

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ayano is so good at badminton....

Let's go, Aragaki! Let's go!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
She's got the nightmare eyes!

lol :3: aragaki....

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does this LOOK like the face of mercy? :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No, Ayano, you are the demons.

It feels maybe a bit reductive and not giving enough credit to say this show is about the people who lose to the shounen sports protagonist since there's more than that, but I'm enjoying that general theme, even if each episode is basically all buildup to a gut punch by the end of the episode. And given that seems to be the focus, I think the change to keeping the game close rather than Kaoruko getting totally crushed was good. The latter would have been too much I think, and gone against the theme of not making light of hard work.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 13, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:agreed:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

savage af

chumbler posted:

No, Ayano, you are the demons.

It feels maybe a bit reductive and not giving enough credit to say this show is about the people who lose to the shounen sports protagonist since there's more than that, but I'm enjoying that general theme, even if each episode is basically all buildup to a gut punch by the end of the episode.

I didn't even notice this until you pointed it out. I don't even like sports anime and was wondering what it was other than the animation that's made me stick with this one. The main character not having any special powers other than being a consummate sociopath is way more interesting to me than your standard shounen protagonist.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The trash talk this episode was choice :discourse:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno. If Japanese media has taught me anything hard work loses to natural ability every time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grouchio posted:

Does this LOOK like the face of mercy? :allears:

you tell me:
https://i.imgur.com/5sJg78d.gifv

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This whole time I thought Connie's team was at the same regionals, whoops.

I'm curious how the regionals play out in the manga, since as far as I can tell Nozomi is an anime addition and she got a lot of screen time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This show is making me miss Pocari Sweat.

Sounds like the coach just wanted someone who would take his abuse, 'cause you know that Nagisa wouldn't have put up with that poo poo. I just wanted him to shut the gently caress up during the entire episode.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, maybe one of the staff should have gone over and told him to stop disturbing every single player inside the building or :frogout:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hanebado: Adults are awful, everyone has issues, badminton destroys lives

Man I have to take a break every few minutes while watching this show.

Edit: Okay maybe one adult has become slightly less awful.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 19, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Connie you dork.....

That was a good match, I'm glad Nozomi stood up to her coach in the end

also Aragaki getting all confused when she tried to think too much about the interval advice :3: She's a good dope

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Connie you dork.....

That was a good match, I'm glad Nozomi stood up to her coach in the end

also Aragaki getting all confused when she tried to think too much about the interval advice :3: She's a good dope

Aragaki is really the heart of the show, and will save everyone.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 19, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I believe in her

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Believe in her powerful arm.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 20, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ayano really is the actual worst. Somehow worse than scummiest coach.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ayano really is the actual worst. Somehow worse than scummiest coach.

Scummy coach saw how his actions were wrong and came back from it, and I am glad they did not make him get physical (not to downplay emotional abuse, but making it physical is a place they could have gone and it's good they didn't). Ayano on the other hand appears to be getting worse even between the beginning and end of an episode. This show seems like it is really going to see how far they can push being sympathetic toward a character. Hopefully Aragaki will smash some sense into her.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 20, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hope Aragaki uses her powerful arms to win a match against the Badmum

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
didn't ayano's mom show up at the end like 2 episodes ago, shouldn't we have seen like a reaction shot of her when ayano beat the pink hair girl

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah it was weird she showed up and then vanished again and had no reaction to Ayano playing pink haired girl considering their last match was apparently the catalyst for abandoning her only child for several years.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Centzon Totochtin posted:

didn't ayano's mom show up at the end like 2 episodes ago, shouldn't we have seen like a reaction shot of her when ayano beat the pink hair girl

I bet her mom doesn't give a gently caress still

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Poor Erena. She just wanted her friend to enjoy Badminton again and has realized she's turned her into a Shonen Jump sports villain.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Their new villain is our hero. :colbert:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aragaki is the hero.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How did I wrong thread, oof

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 23, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ayano can also kick Thorfinn's rear end on badminton, I'm sure.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i didn't know this had a thread this show owns. ayano's descent into becoming a demon is great and her lines about "gently caress fun, play to win" are the (most likely unintentionally) funniest parts of this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

i didn't know this had a thread this show owns. ayano's descent into becoming a demon is great and her lines about "gently caress fun, play to win" are the (most likely unintentionally) funniest parts of this show

I’m not sure it’s unintentional. The direction is applying the melodrama in a fun, self-aware way with a lot of moments of tension-deflating comedy, and the sports drama being ridiculous fits well with the core message of ‘christ, people, it’s just a game, have some fun for once in your lives’.

• Locked thread