Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This week on Hanebado: why you don't want to make a really lovely first impression with someone you're hoping to eventually get along with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I don't even care if that was an actual BADMINTON ORPHANAGE, it is now and it was amazing.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

:sever:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some really good Ayano faces in this episode. Many of them smiling. :)

Also :sever:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Holy crap!

Their day together was cute even if it didn't end up like Connie wanted. Ayano... I get why she's chosen this method of trying to move on but drat that was cold

No, stop...

Ganbatte, Aragaki. I hope you win

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
jfc, I want Elena to sit down Mr Worst Goddamn Coach in the World and ask is if he is blind, deaf and loving dumb. He knows both who Uchiko and Connie are, but hasn't shown any concern as to how this affects Ayano, hell I'm not even sure if he's noticed anything than she sure has a lot more grit lately. He does know however that his other star player Aragaki is on the way to a career ending injury, y'know like he did, and his approach so far is to let the chips fall where they may.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ayano and her mom are the worst, which makes me like all the side characters even more. If Ayano does end up winning in the end, I hope that she still comes out of it unhappy and broken, while everyone else still has peers that care about them despite their flaws because of their self-awareness.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Love to be weirdly vindictive towards someone whose crime is... being unfriendly and emotionally closed off regarding badminton due to some pretty intense and unusual badminton-related past trauma

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ADTRW › Hanebado! - badminton-related past trauma

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Do it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ain't no trauma like badminton trauma

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ayano and her mom are the worst, which makes me like all the side characters even more. If Ayano does end up winning in the end, I hope that she still comes out of it unhappy and broken, while everyone else still has peers that care about them despite their flaws because of their self-awareness.

Not her fault though

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Coxswain Balls posted:

I still empathise with Ayano, badminton brought ruin to her life so she is bringing the ruin to badminton. I don't she her as playing to find some sort of happiness, or even "only winning matters". As of meeting Connie, every game she plays is against her mother, and boy does she hate her mother.

It isn't nice, or fair, but I find it very understandable.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The battosai but with badminton

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Knorth posted:

Love to be weirdly vindictive towards someone whose crime is... being unfriendly and emotionally closed off regarding badminton due to some pretty intense and unusual badminton-related past trauma

Don't get me wrong, it'd be really nice if Nagisa wins because she's rad as hell and Ayano realizes that taking things out on her friends for having a lovely mom is kind of a dick move. That just wouldn't be nearly as interesting as the shounen sports protagonist crushing all of her opponents due to her awesome skill and no-mercy attitude, but you see all of the people she's defeated coming out of it with healthy interpersonal relationships because they own up to how terrible they've been.

Basically, it seems like the message is "winning ain't everything", and I wanna see how far they take it.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 27, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Fair enough I guess. I guess it's also important to note that outside of badminton Ayano still seems perfectly friendly and open to people except shockingly to the person who her mother abandoned her for

Basically,

OnimaruXLR posted:

This week on Hanebado: why you don't want to make a really lovely first impression with someone you're hoping to eventually get along with

The whole Badmum situation is so weird it's kinda hard to tell how people should react and how much they should know/ask about. Like, Connie knew about her 'sibling' but did she ever ask why she wasn't with them? Like I'm pretty curious how what she knew about Ayano and Badmum's relationship frames her attitude during their first meeting

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Knorth posted:

Fair enough I guess. I guess it's also important to note that outside of badminton Ayano still seems perfectly friendly and open to people except shockingly to the person who her mother abandoned her for

Basically,

The whole Badmum situation is so weird it's kinda hard to tell how people should react and how much they should know/ask about. Like, Connie knew about her 'sibling' but did she ever ask why she wasn't with them? Like I'm pretty curious how what she knew about Ayano and Badmum's relationship frames her attitude during their first meeting

There's also Elena, which is why she is is the only member of the Bad Club to be concerned about Ayano, Elena however did physically drag Ayano into this situation, so again, if not fair, understandable from Ayano BTSD worldview.

edit: The real testing point will be Aragaki's knee, which she either knows about, or will pick up on during the match.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 27, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ayano's mom seems like Badminton Goku if Goku didn't have the excuse of being a literal alien from another planet who was raised in isolation from society for most of his life

...Then again, the manga's not over, so there's always a chance?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm still holding onto Badminton Orphanage owner Uchika, who has raised hundreds of Bad Kids.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I hope mum's excuse is just "What's your problem? We both love Badminton so I figured you'd understand!" and she glows with pure unabashed shonen joy of the sport.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Best part of this show is that it has official Badminton gear for a show that quite clearly shows just how much Badminton can ruin a life!

Also Ayano-mom is a pretty horrible person forcing her daughters to go through all that hell to get good. So pretty much a horrible hockey parent huh

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Best part of this show is that it has official Badminton gear for a show that quite clearly shows just how much Badminton can ruin a life!

Except Aragaki is the hero of the show and loves badminton.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

...Then again, the manga's not over, so there's always a chance?

Idk, the manga and anime are very different. Connie is much less of a bitch when she meets Ayano for the first time, and manga Ayano is not actually having a meltdown over her mother.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I like that even though they got all of the gear manufacturers on board, there's still tons of product placement for Not Pocari Sweat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poor Connie. She tried! I will believe in her.

And boy howdy are there going to be some fireworks next episode.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 27, 2018

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Idk, the manga and anime are very different. Connie is much less of a bitch when she meets Ayano for the first time, and manga Ayano is not actually having a meltdown over her mother.

On the Manga, having just read what was available: It is pretty hilarious, it is like the writers got to Chapter 13 and went wouldn't it be cool if they fail the flag and trigger the bad route

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Was Connie an orphan or did badmom just up and take some kid

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think there have been vague hints she had absent or neglectful parent(s).

So you know, she and Ayano have a lot to bond over.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
One of these days, we're just going to get an extreme close-up of Ayano like bam

And she has a full-blown Sharingan. But not from me, because I cannot draw with MSPaint.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
instead of tomoe it will be tiny birdies rotating around her pupil

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Shuttlecocks, surely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Shuttlecocks, surely.

it's the same thing

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I got way behind on this so I just caught up and drat I love this show. I know people aren't on board with the drama but I'm eating it up.

I also just want to say how great that Kaoroku match was in terms of the transitions and camerawork. That slow-mo part where Ayano goes out of frame to the back of the court then Kaoruko goes "Theres no way she can get back to the net in time" only for Ayano to just slide back into the frame and swat it down was fantastic. Darth Ayano is perfect.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nephthys posted:

I got way behind on this so I just caught up and drat I love this show. I know people aren't on board with the drama but I'm eating it up.

I also just want to say how great that Kaoroku match was in terms of the transitions and camerawork. That slow-mo part where Ayano goes out of frame to the back of the court then Kaoruko goes "Theres no way she can get back to the net in time" only for Ayano to just slide back into the frame and swat it down was fantastic. Darth Ayano is perfect.

That shot was so goddamn amazing at showing how poo poo was about to get real as hell. Like, it felt like she fuckin' teleported across the court while still looking completely non-supernatural.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Best shot in this show so far is Aragaki slamming a backhand at Nozomi with her back turned.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

chumbler posted:

Best shot in this show so far is Aragaki slamming a backhand at Nozomi with her back turned.

:stare: ...arm...

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Man, I really want to like this show, but I'm scared I might end up hating it if they mishandle the badmom plot. Next episode looks like it might be a key turning point.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Okay, now I'm expecting her to not have actually abandoned her daughter, but actually just got a job managing Connie and flies back and forth regularly, and is often too tired to play badminton with Ayano. Ayano just conveniently cuts those parts out of her flashback.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Furu pawaa Aragaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nagisa is extremely powerful.

• Locked thread