Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Enjoyed that first episode, definitely curious about Ayano's story and hope that Nagisa can reconcile with her clubmates a little

(can we get this thread title changed at some point, it'd be nice if it wasn't immediately weird)

I think the implication is that the clubmates have been dealing with this and still showing up and trying for months and they understand why she's acting this way, but we are definitely seeing the breaking point.

I'm also looking forward to Ayano realizing that her reactions to her own issues are just completely invalidating the club members and especially Nagisa.

Also yeah, let's change the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just from reading the first two chapters and seeing only 12 are translated, I don't feel like there's much to be gained from comparing them beyond yep, sure is different so far, so let's not be butts on both sides please.

Still thinking about how intense some of the scenes in the first episode are. Nagisa is seriously traumatized and so much of the first episode is people thoughtlessly pressing on those bruises.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

False. Actually they love badminton.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I assume there is more to it than that, but yeah, not a good look. Also Elena is a good friend and I'm glad she got an episode largely devoted to her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

She's certainly headed for the Gendo Ikari Best Parent of the Season award.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They really didn't cut corners, did they.

Honestly the thread title at this point should be Hanebado! Get therapy. Including physical, because ouch at that calf muscle snap.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 30, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

She had to leave to protect them from the badminton mafia.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No, Ayano, you are the demons.

It feels maybe a bit reductive and not giving enough credit to say this show is about the people who lose to the shounen sports protagonist since there's more than that, but I'm enjoying that general theme, even if each episode is basically all buildup to a gut punch by the end of the episode. And given that seems to be the focus, I think the change to keeping the game close rather than Kaoruko getting totally crushed was good. The latter would have been too much I think, and gone against the theme of not making light of hard work.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 13, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hanebado: Adults are awful, everyone has issues, badminton destroys lives

Man I have to take a break every few minutes while watching this show.

Edit: Okay maybe one adult has become slightly less awful.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 19, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Connie you dork.....

That was a good match, I'm glad Nozomi stood up to her coach in the end

also Aragaki getting all confused when she tried to think too much about the interval advice :3: She's a good dope

Aragaki is really the heart of the show, and will save everyone.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 19, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Believe in her powerful arm.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 20, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ayano really is the actual worst. Somehow worse than scummiest coach.

Scummy coach saw how his actions were wrong and came back from it, and I am glad they did not make him get physical (not to downplay emotional abuse, but making it physical is a place they could have gone and it's good they didn't). Ayano on the other hand appears to be getting worse even between the beginning and end of an episode. This show seems like it is really going to see how far they can push being sympathetic toward a character. Hopefully Aragaki will smash some sense into her.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 20, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aragaki is the hero.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Best part of this show is that it has official Badminton gear for a show that quite clearly shows just how much Badminton can ruin a life!

Except Aragaki is the hero of the show and loves badminton.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poor Connie. She tried! I will believe in her.

And boy howdy are there going to be some fireworks next episode.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 27, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Best shot in this show so far is Aragaki slamming a backhand at Nozomi with her back turned.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am Wei Wei, in this scene.

Edit: God drat, Ayano just sucks so much.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 6, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

These would be joke subs for any other sports show.

Edit: I believe in Aragaki.

We're finally going to get bad mom's side of the story next episode. I can't imagine there's any way that she could come out of it looking not horrible, but I don't know whether we'll get Gendo Ikari level bad or Ayano being a somewhat unreliable source.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 16, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Don't feel so bad, Elena, it's mostly her mom's fault.

Badminton Badmom.

Did the show explicitly say how long ago Badmom left Japan?

I think she left when Ayano was still in elementary school so it would be around 5-6 years probably.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Welp Ayano looks like she's about to murder someone in every single shot she's in.

Really. You don't say.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 23, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The whole last few episodes showing Ayano's descent into sports show villain has been great, poo poo talking teammates, provoking Aragaki, plotting murder, and the best part is everyone's hero Aragaki being completely unfazed by any of it.

And while Ayano's mom is clearly an absolutely awful parent, her little bit about what she wanted Ayano to understand about high level competition in sports isn't really wrong. It's just that the only thing Ayano absorbed from that (because her mother is awful) was winning, and that makes it more important that the winner of this game doesn't actually matter for the tournament.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man, still thinking about this episode and rewatching bits of it. It's probably the best one in the show. The crowd cheers fading out when Aragaki says they're in their own world on the court is an obvious thing to do but it still hits.

The show about badminton.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 24, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm real worried about all those knee shots. This is going to be a long week.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Coming into this show expecting just a reg sports anime but with a female cast, and then it twisting into this weird deconstruction of the genre with a decoy protagonist is so weird. I like it though and i’ll definitely be jumping into the manga when this ends

ahahaha

The manga is almost entirely different.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

They really gave it a standard sports anime ending but at least jerkface Ayano lives on.

I'm happy with it and the actual match was exhausting. Probably not the ending some people were hoping for for bad mom, but I don't think it invalidates the whole show or anything like that.

Also yeah, the true Ayano has many faces.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well, badmom at least seems to be trying somewhat with her second kid, and the ending leaves some hope that Ayano will try to make up with Connie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Deeply glad the anime did not follow the manga

The creepy badminton federation guy is another reason to be glad it didn't follow the manga.

• Locked thread