Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
jfc, I want Elena to sit down Mr Worst Goddamn Coach in the World and ask is if he is blind, deaf and loving dumb. He knows both who Uchiko and Connie are, but hasn't shown any concern as to how this affects Ayano, hell I'm not even sure if he's noticed anything than she sure has a lot more grit lately. He does know however that his other star player Aragaki is on the way to a career ending injury, y'know like he did, and his approach so far is to let the chips fall where they may.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ayano and her mom are the worst, which makes me like all the side characters even more. If Ayano does end up winning in the end, I hope that she still comes out of it unhappy and broken, while everyone else still has peers that care about them despite their flaws because of their self-awareness.

I still empathise with Ayano, badminton brought ruin to her life so she is bringing the ruin to badminton. I don't she her as playing to find some sort of happiness, or even "only winning matters". As of meeting Connie, every game she plays is against her mother, and boy does she hate her mother.

It isn't nice, or fair, but I find it very understandable.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Knorth posted:

Fair enough I guess. I guess it's also important to note that outside of badminton Ayano still seems perfectly friendly and open to people except shockingly to the person who her mother abandoned her for

Basically,

The whole Badmum situation is so weird it's kinda hard to tell how people should react and how much they should know/ask about. Like, Connie knew about her 'sibling' but did she ever ask why she wasn't with them? Like I'm pretty curious how what she knew about Ayano and Badmum's relationship frames her attitude during their first meeting

There's also Elena, which is why she is is the only member of the Bad Club to be concerned about Ayano, Elena however did physically drag Ayano into this situation, so again, if not fair, understandable from Ayano BTSD worldview.

edit: The real testing point will be Aragaki's knee, which she either knows about, or will pick up on during the match.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 27, 2018

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I hope mum's excuse is just "What's your problem? We both love Badminton so I figured you'd understand!" and she glows with pure unabashed shonen joy of the sport.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Idk, the manga and anime are very different. Connie is much less of a bitch when she meets Ayano for the first time, and manga Ayano is not actually having a meltdown over her mother.

On the Manga, having just read what was available: It is pretty hilarious, it is like the writers got to Chapter 13 and went wouldn't it be cool if they fail the flag and trigger the bad route

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Once again I am gobsmacked at the sheer incompetence of the adults managing the Bad Club. At the initial conference about Nagisa's knee after Coach goes "There'll be other matches" which is better than nothing the advisor follows that up with "WOW you are SO SIMILAR, but he put his health in front of THAT SINGLE CHANCE OF GLORY IN THE SUN, and now he is a coach... at a highschool lol". The second conference reveals his take on Ayano riding that shuttlecock straight to hell is "provocations", I wouldn't be surprised if he took Ayano aside next episode and gave her two thumbs up for her sweet sledging skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Nephthys posted:

Its going to be interesting to see what they do with Uchika. From what I know of the manga Ayano isn't that badly affected by it or at least gets over it and its treated more lightly as Uchika just not being that motherly and as a kind of Ging-esque 'Come find me when you're ready for greater challenges' thing. So I really respect the anime for going 'Um, thats actually pretty hosed up and would screw your child up you idiot.' At the same time its caused people to really loathe her and get very hostile towards her actions and relationships when I don't think the anime has actually portrayed her as being malicious or a bad person. I doubt the anime is going to paint her as a villain or have Ayano completely sever the relationship as people seem to be expecting so I'm anticipating some serious backlash.

I also like the change in Ayano's character a lot from how in the manga she's utterly curbstomped everyone she's played against and is just unreachably above everyone else.

Frankly, If they've changed things from the manga I don't see why they have to reconcile what Anime-character-X does with what Manga-character-X did. I don't care what manga Utena did, as far as I'm concerned Utena turned into a loving car.

• Locked thread