Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

savage af

chumbler posted:

No, Ayano, you are the demons.

It feels maybe a bit reductive and not giving enough credit to say this show is about the people who lose to the shounen sports protagonist since there's more than that, but I'm enjoying that general theme, even if each episode is basically all buildup to a gut punch by the end of the episode.

I didn't even notice this until you pointed it out. I don't even like sports anime and was wondering what it was other than the animation that's made me stick with this one. The main character not having any special powers other than being a consummate sociopath is way more interesting to me than your standard shounen protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This show is making me miss Pocari Sweat.

Sounds like the coach just wanted someone who would take his abuse, 'cause you know that Nagisa wouldn't have put up with that poo poo. I just wanted him to shut the gently caress up during the entire episode.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ayano and her mom are the worst, which makes me like all the side characters even more. If Ayano does end up winning in the end, I hope that she still comes out of it unhappy and broken, while everyone else still has peers that care about them despite their flaws because of their self-awareness.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Knorth posted:

Love to be weirdly vindictive towards someone whose crime is... being unfriendly and emotionally closed off regarding badminton due to some pretty intense and unusual badminton-related past trauma

Don't get me wrong, it'd be really nice if Nagisa wins because she's rad as hell and Ayano realizes that taking things out on her friends for having a lovely mom is kind of a dick move. That just wouldn't be nearly as interesting as the shounen sports protagonist crushing all of her opponents due to her awesome skill and no-mercy attitude, but you see all of the people she's defeated coming out of it with healthy interpersonal relationships because they own up to how terrible they've been.

Basically, it seems like the message is "winning ain't everything", and I wanna see how far they take it.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 27, 2018

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Best part of this show is that it has official Badminton gear for a show that quite clearly shows just how much Badminton can ruin a life!

I like that even though they got all of the gear manufacturers on board, there's still tons of product placement for Not Pocari Sweat.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nephthys posted:

I got way behind on this so I just caught up and drat I love this show. I know people aren't on board with the drama but I'm eating it up.

I also just want to say how great that Kaoroku match was in terms of the transitions and camerawork. That slow-mo part where Ayano goes out of frame to the back of the court then Kaoruko goes "Theres no way she can get back to the net in time" only for Ayano to just slide back into the frame and swat it down was fantastic. Darth Ayano is perfect.

That shot was so goddamn amazing at showing how poo poo was about to get real as hell. Like, it felt like she fuckin' teleported across the court while still looking completely non-supernatural.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

OH YEAH!

Hayama's opponent is such a nice boy. That was, like, the first match in the series without a ton of baggage attached between the competitors. It's like, "yeah, we lost. This is fun tho so let's keep playing after high school."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Everyone's actually been pretty dang relevant, even if they didn't get the screen time. Ayano continues to be horrible.

I just love how they gradually turned who at first looked like the series protagonist into the villain. I have a feeling that Nagisa's gonna be the winner in the end, since every episode is showing the people losing growing and becoming better from it, and she's already done that at the beginning of the series. Ayano's the only one who hasn't gone through that character arc, since when she first lost against Connie she was trying to play the "it didn't really count" card, and was rightfully called out on it by Sora.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

w00tazn posted:

The drop in animation quality for parts of ep 10 was suppper noticeable, but it looked like they saved their budget for the best parts anyway.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nagisa's at the last boss fight and got to the final phase where they show their true form.

Lotsa good crazyface in this one, and I hope the finale keeps it up. The flashbacks just confirm what I said earlier about Ayano being a really poor loser, so I really hope she gets defeated so she can finally admit that its okay to lose and grow as a result.

Also, Nagisa's crush on Tachibana must be so awkward. Remember coach, she might be six feet tall and ripped as hell but she's still a teenager.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

lmao Badmom "I deeply hosed my daughter up and it owns."

I was expecting her to say something about how Ayano needs to stop coming up with excuses and how she could see how her daughter's obsession with badminton was becoming unhealthy, but nope just went straight in the other direction and it totally does own.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 23, 2018

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/LwS5nxq.mp4

You know how Ayano keeps going on about how it "doesn't count" when she loses? I wonder if it goes the other way if she wins because Nagisa's knee gives out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sindai posted:

Best moment: Ayano bouncing her racket on her shoulder like a delinquent with a baseball bat.

https://i.imgur.com/ZmjguQc.mp4

• Locked thread