Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Oh man I remember playing this game and I had no idea what I was doing because I played this when I was like 10. I agree with you I never met a single other person who played this, and thus never mentioned it to anyone and did a double take when I saw this pop up here.

I tried installing my old disk, but its scratched to poo poo sadly and wouldn't run.

Enchanted Hat posted:

That sounds disgusting, but yes, probably.

I actually completely forgot to mention it, but if you look at the poached salmon with shrimp recipe, I took the quality of the prawns way way down to the lowest possible level which massively boosts profitability but reduces the quality a lot. I don't even know what Armand uses as a substitute for prawns - maybe some kind of small pastry?

I figure he is just using something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_stick except swap crab for prawn juice?

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In regards to customer spending if you click on them they have an abstracted $$$$$ from 1 to 5 which I think corresponds to how much they will pay. It also depends on time of day, people showing up between lunch and dinner so like 3-5 only seem to buy soup or appetizers.

The annoying thing about the campaign is you can't set dinners/lunches like in the sandbox mode until later in the campaign (I don't think this is a spoiler) where you can add 4 courses + wine at a set price slightly cheaper than ala carte and people will spend more on the stuff.

Also some recipes are just bafflingly better than others or much worse. I think the game dev's really love the Mixed Casserole of Pork, because it legitimately is the best main course recipe for French Cuisine for like 2/3rds the game. Also like half of the American recipes are seafood, and all the steak ones are pretty low quality for some reason... so if you open a steakhouse like the best thing on the menu is probably going to be a goddamn crab cake. :psyduck:

Mussels are also really good imo, in that they are terrible, but they cost like $1 and a couple seconds to make so you make like $15 of profit on each meal, especially if your chef is good at cooking them they can be ~okay~

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Double pack is still $19 on steam. :thunk:

It was like $5 during the summer sale, so I bought it for ~nostalgia~ and it is okay, not worth $20 imo.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Enchanted Hat posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't think about the former colonies. In my defence, she doesn't really look like an Algérienne! It makes sense, though, because there was another white customer at Treize à Table with a Vietnamese name, and I was wondering why that was. It'd be nice if the game would actually include some non-white characters and NPCs, though!

Well there are some black chefs you can hire in the USA. They are about as subtle as our friend the Don.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 10, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Enchanted Hat posted:

There's exactly one black guy in the Restaurant Empire universe, and I don't want to spoil that yet, because I remember those scenes being pretty great.

Some of the non-story random NPC chefs can be black, that wander in and ask for a job. I hired two that way.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I feel like someone accidentally keyed 100 instead of 10 which would still be ridiculously cinnamony, but not lethal levels of the stuff. Or they just have no clue about cooking like how the Mixed Casserole of Pork has like 8 tablespoons of peanut oil in it.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 11, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Robindaybird posted:

Barely.

But yeah, a lot of the weird recipe names and the glaring errors definitely fits with a small-time Chinese company doing the translation on the cheap, we're lucky the dialogue is mostly coherent.

Except I am pretty sure Enlight Software is an American Company.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

ultrafilter posted:

The pound of cinnamon is a bit much, but the mixed pork casserole might actually be edible.

Going with the third party china translation theory, these seem to be the closest approximation to the Mixed Casserole of Pork that I could find online.

https://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/normandy-pork-casserole-recipe/

https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/creamy-slow-cooked-pork-casserole/

For the record both have like 1/4 the amount of cooking oil as Armands Dish

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 17, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Haifisch posted:

No. People need to see our floating horse statues.

It's not just me, right? They definitely look like they're levitating off the ground.

e:

"Let's just dole out 3/4ths of an egg every time someone orders this. That sounds about right."

I still can't get over the fact seafood quiche is a dessert wtf?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Someone should do a show like binging with babish, but instead of terrible TV recipes terrible Kitchen Empire recipes.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Nondevor posted:

Each (per serving). Like in some of the desserts they mention things like .50 egg and .50 egg yolk ea.

Wouldn’t .50 egg just be the egg whites at that point?

Generally for desserts you use egg whites for a lot of things.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Nondevor posted:

An unexpected result from GIS "singing clam".

EDB

I am pretty sure those singing clams are from a seafood chain called Ivars ad's.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 21, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The reason it's so cheap to make is that the "steaks" weigh a lousy 50 grams! Indeed, there seems to be hardly anything to this recipe; 5 grams each of olive and capers, 20% of a lemon, some garlic, 7.5mL of olive oil, a quarter-onion, and the aforementioned 50g tuna. I have to think that the actual dish involved multiple tiny steaks, or something; the proportions don't seem that awful but the portion size is terrible.

This is Restaurant Empire, you either have illogical proportions or mediocre portions in pretty much every recipe.

Also ignored in the wake of the "WTF"??? microwaving fish recipe. (which I was waiting for this thread to encounter because of just how disgusting that is) YOU DON'T loving MAKE CHICKEN CUTLETS IN A FOOD PROCESSOR!!! Seriously that recipe is apparently turning the chicken breast into a paste then making chicken nuggets? and also not frying them no wonder the recipe is so bad. This gets me because chicken cutlets are really easy to make!

Get those cheap frozen chicken breasts, thaw them out and pound them flat. season them coat them with some salt, get some breading i like using panko and making like a chicken katsu, and then just pan fry them in a skillet.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 28, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Coat the walls in the crab wall decor to remind customers the only decent dish in here is the crab cakes.

Also put the microwave fish on the menu...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

That baked Oysters recipe is almost identical to a recipe I have for Normandy-Style Mussels.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ayndin posted:

Even better:
-All of this is being 'fried' in 1 mL of oil; I guess the roughly one pound of mushrooms will release some liquid, but it's fries, not 'shittily boiled potato slices'
-The only seasoning is four tablespoons of parsley. I guess that's one way of dealing with people who get uppity if they have one more atom of salt in their dish than they'd like, or people who enjoy things like 'flavors.'

EDIT: Also, absolutely Music restaurant in Paris named But I Am Pagliacci. No wall will go un-sad clowned.

They used all the oil in the Mixed Casserole of Pork

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Enchanted Hat posted:

I'm not sure I can actually do that, I'm not aware of any cheat code that unlocks all the recipes and ingredients. That said, there's a restaurant sandbox mode, so I can start up a sandbox game with each of the three cuisines and show off any recipes that they give you that we didn't get in the campaign if people are interested.

Are we not going to do RE2?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Enchanted Hat posted:

Where is that guy even getting those descriptions? I have no idea how you look up recipe descriptions in this game. There's an entire untapped reservoir of stupid to make fun of that I never knew about! :argh:

I think the original game (not the RE2 steam copy) had descriptions or maybe it was in the guide pamphlet games used to have. Or he might just have looked up descriptions online somewhere for similar recipes.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I swear in the original version of the game the new secret super chef mentions Armand's dad died of diabetes no joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

ultrafilter posted:

It's there:

I was going to mention that, but if I'm calling out ridiculous details in this update, I'd have to say a lot, so I passed.

I missed that :derp:

• Locked thread