Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l542tam3R_Y

Hi, you might remember me from such LPs as Cinders, Siege of Avalon, and Winter Voices... Hey wait, I already did this game! Well, this time will be very different. Partly to celebrate the long-awaited launch of the Kickstarter for the sequel, and partly to show off all the roads we didn’t travel last time, I have been inspired to resurrect this game for one more run.

Winter Voices is a crazily atmospheric, unique, flawed gem of an RPG, made by super indie Parisiens who endured at least one bankruptcy and years of struggle to bring their story of loss, trauma, Nordic-flavored mythology, great music, evocative art, and industrial revolution to life. It is simultaneously deeply personal and mythically grand.

(Beyond the Pillars, whose logo is in the trailer and some of the art, is the original development team of the game, who went bankrupt and got bought by the original author and her new company, Inner Seas.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9igkVvDySY

The Setting
The Principality/Kingdom of the Three Rivers is a cold realm that sits astride two seemingly contradictory worlds: an ancient one of myth and traditional shamanism, and a new one of trains, reason, and rifles. Our character hails from a nameless village in the frozen northern reaches of the realm. We can be one of three professions, each of whom tends to follow a different one of the three Norns, the traditional goddesses of the region.

The three Norns under the world tree. Clockwise from the top, Urd, Verdandi, and Skuld. Unlike the traditional irl Nordic interpretation of them as a Maiden, Mother, and Crone trio, these three are apparently all hotties.

I was only able to locate concept art for Skuld.

We will be going with a Weaver worshiping Verdandi, not to deprive you of choice, but because it will be the most different from the other two paths. The Huntress has a couple unique interactions, but is generally not as interesting as either of the other two. And the Volva was detailed in my previous LP.

For those who have checked out the original, here are some examples of things that will be different:

Differences
•Less fanfiction. Long stretches of my own stuff in italics was a crutch to keep me interested back when I was going through some poo poo, which should no longer be needed. This time I want to let the game speak for itself as much as possible.

•More humor. Instead of a priestess Volva, we are playing a Weaver this time, which is the class that has a naturally high Humor attribute. Aside from being the damage reduction stat, high Humor also unlocks a lot of dialogue options that the sullen previous protagonist, Frida, wouldn’t have had access to. Nearly every single line choice we can make in Chapter One has at least one additional Humor option to pick, and there are many more sprinkled throughout the story. Some of them are actually funny, others are cringey, but that is kind of understandable considering the state the character is in, having just lost her father. (Also the writer is French, so some of the humor may be lost in translation.)

This will be lightly supplemented with my own attempts at comedy.

•Fewer black borders around the screenshots, and more general LP competence. Winter Voices was my first one ever, after all!

•Character portraits where possible, for ease of reading!

•Audience participation will be a little less. Not because I don’t want any input, not at all! But because this is mainly a showcase, so I don’t want to end up showing the same things the other LP did.

•Much more!

Reading the previous LP is NOT required to enjoy this one, though you might find it interesting to spot the differences in conversations, as well as the foreshadowing.

(Note: this will not interfere with my other ongoing LP, Siege of Avalon, at all, thanks to some streamlining I’ve figured out for my workflow recently! I will update both threads about once a week.)

Orbs fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Update list

One - You are undoubtedly delirious. But it doesn't matter much.
Two - A little too dead.
Three - He was like a father to me.
Four - You could have been a Volva.
Five - We are free to respect ourselves.
Six - Tadaaa!
Seven - Thus we shall kill.
Eight - Good, it will give me some action.
Nine - I'd like to take a little speed.

Ten - You are one weird girl.
Eleven - When I will fight the wolves to death

Twelve - It's the cold that brings me rigour.
Thirteen - Cats are nice.
Fourteen - I am alive, by force of habit.

Fifteen - It must be hard to have to eat your audience to survive.
Sixteen - Come now, I don't talk to people who don't exist.
Seventeen - Who would be stupid enough to do that?

Eighteen - To be nebulous is a strength.
Nineteen - I'm used to being completely lost.
Twenty - JUSTICE MUST BE SERVED

Special Update - Why would I stop thinking about you?

Intro video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcQvtlGTvm8

Music so far, by Balthazar Benadon
Main menu
Souvenirs combat
Village combat
Village Classique
Caverne Ambiance
Shadows
Souvenir combat alt
Mélancolie
Burn
Cold
Enigme
Ruins
Piste 5
Soma
Village theme
Dark wood village master
White Fight

Artwork so far, by Emmanuel Malin

The Skill Snowflake

E: New! Writer's Patreon to support development of a free mod for Winter Voices to finish the story, and also other cool stuff: https://www.patreon.com/seaauthor

Orbs fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 10, 2020

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's go with Wealhtheow the Weaver.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Haþuwīgą

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Sweet, copying and pasting works in the name field, so we can totally use a name with all kinds of thorn runes and poo poo. Anyone want to come and break the stalemate between the two though?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The one I can't even begin to try and pronounce.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I guess I'll second/third Haþuwīgą, the other looks like a typo to me though google reminds me its from Beowulf. I'm looking forward to seeing how much this run differs. I always think of this game during steam summer sales since they had a special achievement during one years back that finally pushed me to play through the first part.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Prologue: Avalanche, Part One - You are undoubtedly delirious. But it doesn't matter much.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 9, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I really love the writing in this game, but man. I am going to miss your fanfiction. I get why you're omitting it, but it really made the first LP something special.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really love the writing in this game, but man. I am going to miss your fanfiction. I get why you're omitting it, but it really made the first LP something special.
Aw, thanks. :unsmith: It's nice to be appreciated. But aside from what I mentioned above, it occurred to me that this style probably fits the slightly more lighthearted tone of a Weaver playthrough better too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Aw, thanks. :unsmith: It's nice to be appreciated. But aside from what I mentioned above, it occurred to me that this style probably fits the slightly more lighthearted tone of a Weaver playthrough better too.

Fair enough! Update soon, I'm rereading the old LP and I can't wait to compare certain parts, see if I can't make more sense out of them now.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Two - A little too dead.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 13, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Three - He was like a father to me.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 17, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh, wow. There's so much more humor and warmth in this version of events - instead of dour, mourning responses... wow. I like this a lot!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Four - You could have been a Volva.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 24, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Five - We are free to respect ourselves.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 3, 2018

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Frida works, or Friday in honor of Frida, Iron Man and Robinson Crusoe.

It's not looking good for the season 2 kickstarter with less than three days to go. Disappointing.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

bagrada posted:

Frida works, or Friday in honor of Frida, Iron Man and Robinson Crusoe.

It's not looking good for the season 2 kickstarter with less than three days to go. Disappointing.
Yeah, they ran into some troubles right at launch, and despite some valiant efforts since then by both the devs and fans, it has been impossible to get anyone in the media to care. :rip: I'm still holding out hope that on the last day some vastly wealthy benefactor will contribute the remaining 17k. Inner Seas has said they they'll have to dissolve and move on from video games if the Kickstarter doesn't succeed.

I'll still continue this LP even if it fails, because playing a doomed game series cut short before it could be finished is indie af.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I like Wealhtheow.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Aw dang, another tie, and they're both good ones. Should we go with Frida or Wealhtheow?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate brevity, so Frida.

Nice to see this picked back up again. It's a very interesting conceit to put a game on, I'll say that much.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Six - Tadaaa!
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 8, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Seven - Thus we shall kill.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 17, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Eight - Good, it will give me some action.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 31, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Nine - I'd like to take a little speed.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 17, 2018

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I just want to let you know I appreciate you playing this. It looks super interesting but I don’t think I would have the patience to go through with it.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

ashnjack posted:

I just want to let you know I appreciate you playing this. It looks super interesting but I don’t think I would have the patience to go through with it.
Thanks! It definitely does require some patience. I can't imagine trying to play this before the patch that sped up enemy attack animations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Another vote of appreciation here. This is a real experience from a game and I'm glad to see somebody making it happen.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Ten - You are one weird girl.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 25, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Eleven - When I will fight the wolves to death
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 5, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Twelve - It's the cold that brings me rigour.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 22, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Good news! No, not an update yet. I am still working on it. No, the good news is that Winter Voices is now free on Steam. It's pretty bittersweet after the failure of the Kickstarter, but if anyone feels like trying it out, it will be free forever going forward.

EDIT: The writer is working on a free mod to Winter Voices that she says will wrap up the story. You can find out more about it and other cool stuff on the Patreon she just started.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 22, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Thirteen - Cats are nice.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 6, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Fourteen - I am alive, by force of habit.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 28, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. How is a village without stone walls surviving? Maybe all these darknesses only live in stone.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Glazius posted:

Dang. How is a village without stone walls surviving? Maybe all these darknesses only live in stone.
It's probably surviving precisely because it doesn't have stone walls. Think about it- all the ruins have had them, while this village and our hometown do not. :tinfoil:

Also, updates will be even slower due to the holidays, but I am still on them! I have never abandoned an LP before and I won't start now!!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Fifteen - It must be hard to have to eat your audience to survive.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 20, 2018

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Sixteen - Come now, I don't talk to people who don't exist.
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 11, 2019

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Seventeen - Who would be stupid enough to do that?
Link

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Just letting everyone know I haven't forgotten this LP! I've been super sick for several weeks and that has set back all my LPs and also my life. I'm still trucking though.

So this isn't just a bump, the game's writer has announced that, while the sequel Kickstarter did not succeed, she has started working on a smaller but free "Episode 7" mod that will wrap up the story! If "Whisper of the Ash" comes out while this LP is still ongoing (which is a distinct possibility at this point), I will definitely include it.