Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

The problem with him using the dictionary is that he ignored what the founders said about the amendment and instead made a very disingenuous "well you see bear means to hold and possess, and arms means weapons of war so..." even though historians filed an amicus curiae briefing with about 90 pages of quotes about standing armies and militia musters.

You're correct, he ignores literally anything that contradicts his 'originalist' view. He's like a climate denier that cherry picks research.

He loved to ignore legislative intent or anything else that went into making the law. The only thing that mattered to him was the output, not the input.

He slammed ERISA this way. This huge law that was rushed through and passed largely by surprise during the Nixon administration used two different words in two different places to describe what most everyone rightly assumed was the same concept. Scalia said NOPE, different word, must mean a different thing! and wrote an opinion screwing everyone over. The motherfuckers who wrote the drat bill said Scalia's batshit opinion went against their intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/AlexisCoe/status/1015947042953326592

https://twitter.com/AlexisCoe/status/1015949276659290112

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/matthews_p/status/1015955511227887616

https://twitter.com/Jerrrrreeeee/status/1015961937371226114

please kill me now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look at all these counties trump won!!

eh, even-odds it was a democrat rapist

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The democrat purity test for 2020 or 2024 should involve willing to pack the courts.

We can't sit around and wait for another gift like Scalia dieing under a democrat president, and then failing to fill the seat.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

The Nastier Nate posted:

The democrat purity test for 2020 or 2024 should involve willing to pack the courts.

We can't sit around and wait for another gift like Scalia dieing under a democrat president, and then failing to fill the seat.

Hardline decorumites are going to defend the honor of the independent judiciary to the grave (also a lot of blue dogs were fine with Scalia and the conservative majority on the court to a degree where they almost made it sound like it was some sort of natural law of the supreme court)

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1014263539219955716?s=17

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Agnosticnixie posted:

Hardline decorumites are going to defend the honor of the independent judiciary to the grave (also a lot of blue dogs were fine with Scalia and the conservative majority on the court to a degree where they almost made it sound like it was some sort of natural law of the supreme court)

if there is a single upside to the post escalator moment it is the general realization at all levels of society but the highest, softest, and least-challenged that history occurs as it's wont around those people without interference, like a river passing over stones. stones that whinge and suck massively.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1017774421682147329

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Nastier Nate posted:

Nah the purity test should be "have you ever supported the clintons or the DNC in any way whatsoever" after 2016.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

2 pages in and no mention of William Adams yet?

Remember how we all thought that the video of him beating his daughter would have been the end of his career, only to see him get re-elected as if nothing happened?

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Jul 15, 2018

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I am STILL mad as gently caress about Scalia. He managed to fool everyone into thinking he had a "philosophy" beyond hypercapitalist selfishness/literally Evil Incarnate. Its unbelievable. Even a lot of dems will go "hurm yes well at least he was consistent" WHAT?! NO!! I mean maybe if you mean "consistantly neutral evil".

If there is any true justice at the foundations of the universe there is a surely a hell and he's in it (There isn't tho). To use the words of a much better writer than myself, his body should have been burned in a trash bin.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

forkboy84 posted:

With the power they have and the long terms they serve it's always surprised me that assassinating your Supreme Court Justices never really caught on.

Obviously I'm not arguing you should do that, just think it's surprising and shows limited vision that more Presidents have been killed in office.

I agree. Specifically there were several periods by my counting in which roe v wade could have been reversed with a single tactically timed political murder of a sc justice. I use this specific example because certain parts of the pro-life movement have shown themselves to be willing to murder over this issue.

There seems to be some weird emotional calculus that happens before an individual attempts a political murder, however. One which I obviously dont understand. I was sure, what with as much mouth-foam as was flying at that time, that someone would whip themselves into a murderous frenzy over obama being elected and try to kill him before his swearing in. Yet he ended his terms in office with less attempts made on his life than bill clinton. The level of threat an individual feels a particular politician poses does not seem to be the primary factor considered when individuals plot assassination. I'm not sure what actually is that primary factor.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nathilus posted:

I agree. Specifically there were several periods by my counting in which roe v wade could have been reversed with a single tactically timed political murder of a sc justice. I use this specific example because certain parts of the pro-life movement have shown themselves to be willing to murder over this issue.

There seems to be some weird emotional calculus that happens before an individual attempts a political murder, however. One which I obviously dont understand. I was sure, what with as much mouth-foam as was flying at that time, that someone would whip themselves into a murderous frenzy over obama being elected and try to kill him before his swearing in. Yet he ended his terms in office with less attempts made on his life than bill clinton. The level of threat an individual feels a particular politician poses does not seem to be the primary factor considered when individuals plot assassination. I'm not sure what actually is that primary factor.

people don't usually plot to assassinate politicians unless they're either crazy as hell or have a vaguely decent reason to believe that the particular politician is directly connected to some troubles in their life. also, they have to be fully willing to die or go to prison

there's usually not a lot of tactical planning going into the tactical impacts of their crime

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/1019321400711155712

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

fdr's problem was that prominent Congressional Dems opposed his court-packing effort, held it up in committees, and whipped against it
And there's a reason to think that this won't happen with today's Dems?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

*hanged

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ah yes, the good ol "mental illness made me hang a kid, also it's an unnamed mental illness that I'm not suffering from today in court"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
How the gently caress does someone have a mental illness that causes them to attempt murder on a child not get sent to a loving mental hospital?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mental hospitals are expensive.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

How the gently caress does someone have a mental illness that causes them to attempt murder on a child not get sent to a loving mental hospital?

i dont even know of any still in operation besides short term psych wards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Peanut President posted:

america

• Locked thread