Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'd rather have a tower or keep, but with the whole z-axis limitation all those big houses are pointless anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Soy give me all your money for enrollment in my personal wipe program.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwL4Zgxyfvg

TLDR: Map on TC before the end of the year

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So looking into trying this game out and it's showing it as a free to play game with an option for buying a subscription. If I start as a free to play player will I have access to this community server?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beach Party posted:

So looking into trying this game out and it's showing it as a free to play game with an option for buying a subscription. If I start as a free to play player will I have access to this community server?

Nope. The official server only for F2P.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

jabro posted:

Nope. The official server only for F2P.

Beach Party posted:

Ive come across a few people in the LoU discord that said they could access LoU with a free account but I have not been able to gain access myself. Would love to know their trick.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

Ive come across a few people in the LoU discord that said they could access LoU with a free account but I have not been able to gain access myself. Would love to know their trick.

I'm guessing either the developers of LoA are completely incompetent and the F2P check is on the user's computer in a cfg file that can easily be changed in a text editor or those people are lying about being able to access LoU on a F2P account. Either scenario is likely.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

jabro posted:

I'm guessing either the developers of LoA are completely incompetent and the F2P check is on the user's computer in a cfg file that can easily be changed in a text editor or those people are lying about being able to access LoU on a F2P account. Either scenario is likely.

Everyone that has stated they can access it with a F2P account have said it just works. I am more inclined to believe they are just trolling. I mean that's what most UO players did in the game anyways.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

Everyone that has stated they can access it with a F2P account have said it just works. I am more inclined to believe they are just trolling. I mean that's what most UO players did in the game anyways.

What's your ICQ? For 2 million GP I'll IM you instructions.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

This could probably use an update. The Brit map has been up on Test Centre since early January and it's very smooth. They held a brawl on there last weekend, I couldn't feel any lag in it with 30 odd people in the same area, which is practically unheard of for this game. They're holding another one this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fNQG9qZVSc

As for big changes in the game, Enchanting has been disabled which resulted in lots of whiny tamers quitting the game and much hilarity. Lots of combat changes are up on TC, poison getting a hefty nerf, 2 handed weapons get specials, LJ bonus in PVP, Mount stamina being frozen in combat, Potion toxicity and a load of other stuff, most of which is looking good.

Production is a complete ghost town though, so it's going to be interesting whether there will be a playerbase once they switch over to the new map.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Lmao at everyone who invested in the soul sucking enchantment grind.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
this thread feels a little empty without soy

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I just noticed he was perma'd. The gently caress?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Angelwolf posted:

I just noticed he was perma'd. The gently caress?

For maybe the most innocuous post of all time too. Wtf?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I asked, sounds like he was causing problems posting on kiwifarms.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Does this server still have any population?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dante posted:

Does this server still have any population?

Perusing the official discord shows about 10 active players today so not great. But the new map is just around the corner!

Oh and the base game it's built off of is postponing updates because of a "temporary" lack of staff and pivoting to a special subscription server, presumably to try and pay whomever is left.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 16, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Not surprised.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The absolutely frustrating thing is that they *had* it. They remade early UO in that everything was wild and a little broken. The early population was almost exclusively old school UO vets that crowed about good fights while ruthlessly exploiting every loophole they could.

But then they hosed up because they didn't want a broken UO, they wanted a UO that was broken exactly the way it was when they were 16. So they threw themselves into the new map and started legislating the fun out of the world. When you couldn't meta off the jank, you were left with the unfun broken systems that are for sure gonna be fixed any year now.

The funniest part of Goons breaking the community is that we by and large sucked at PVP and exploiting. What we were good at was poopsock resource extraction and ruthless economic warfare. We drew the ire of the elder discord statesman because Goonmall was cutting into their alt's money printer.

The incident that broke us was watching the Big Honor PVP guild breach our secure base with an exploit. Mind you it was not uncommon for us to breach our own secure base by not locking a gate or other such incompetence. Well whoopsies, the exploit they taught us worked real well on their legacy custom built secure player towns and suddenly it wasn't fun anymore.

They accused us of exploiting and we're like "yeah no poo poo we did the exact thing that we reported you for doing and reported ourselves after we proved it worked a couple of times." We were punished, they weren't.

That's what made me hang it up.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The absolutely frustrating thing is that they *had* it. They remade early UO in that everything was wild and a little broken. The early population was almost exclusively old school UO vets that crowed about good fights while ruthlessly exploiting every loophole they could.

But then they hosed up because they didn't want a broken UO, they wanted a UO that was broken exactly the way it was when they were 16. So they threw themselves into the new map and started legislating the fun out of the world. When you couldn't meta off the jank, you were left with the unfun broken systems that are for sure gonna be fixed any year now.

The funniest part of Goons breaking the community is that we by and large sucked at PVP and exploiting. What we were good at was poopsock resource extraction and ruthless economic warfare. We drew the ire of the elder discord statesman because Goonmall was cutting into their alt's money printer.

The incident that broke us was watching the Big Honor PVP guild breach our secure base with an exploit. Mind you it was not uncommon for us to breach our own secure base by not locking a gate or other such incompetence. Well whoopsies, the exploit they taught us worked real well on their legacy custom built secure player towns and suddenly it wasn't fun anymore.

They accused us of exploiting and we're like "yeah no poo poo we did the exact thing that we reported you for doing and reported ourselves after we proved it worked a couple of times." We were punished, they weren't.

That's what made me hang it up.

Ultimately -- after years of playing on them, I've realized that anything run by private people and not a company will always be corrupt/unfair.... when you get banned for winning or being too strong for the 3rd or 4th time, it gets old.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I loved that we did our business out of a ramshackle crackhouse with some haphazardly scattered vendors and then Andy came by to break their whole 'gms won't help you place houses' poo poo by forcing his guilds opulent mall loving right on top of brit mg.

Anyway yeah it was always doomed, because

FormerFatty posted:

anything run by private people and not a company will always be corrupt

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I kinda miss the angriest white salaryman in Japan.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Was wondering last week about Andy when i logged into LoU to see 2 people in the 3 hours i spent roaming around.

And something tells me they are never going to get that UO map online.

Ever.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

Surprisingly, they've actually committed to a release date, June 20th.

Yeah, not sure I believe it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfsw9nMYdsU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Ran around a bit more last night. About two hours of running dungeons and didn't see a single person. Maybe five people in various towns and one person in a house outside Moonglow.

If you read discord you'd think the server was packed. It's dead, the 80% wipe might be good for it but I'm not sure there's enough players for this to be a thing.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Skyfire posted:

What suck's is that Stimwalt is a really nice guy. I've dealt with him on numerous occasions on LoU and he's pretty much a class act all the way.

I just don't think i'll ever see the new map.

And i don't think they have the playerbase anymore...

:(

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I know a ton of people packed everything in to their banks and took a 'short' break when the new map was 'close to being done' and welp, now it's like a year or more out and nobody's around anymore.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Here's the "Transition" ...

https://web2.legendsofultima.online/lou-transition-plan.pdf

They finally caught on that having EVERYONE IN GAME IS A GM IN EVERYTHING THIS CANT FAIL ALSO ALL MONSTERS AND ANIMALS DROP 10k GOLD EVERYTIME AND GOOD WEAPONS TOO isn't such a good thing.

I skimmed past some parts but it basicaly says skills will be harder to train, as well as gold drops will be less etc.

Something about moving from one world to another something something...

I didnt read anything about us being permitted to bring the gold we have over (i got 5 million in bank), maybe i missed that part.

If it does appear (the new map) im gonna check it out and see how it is...

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
A portion of gold from 2.5m get converted then anything over 2.5m up to X amount gets converted at a more severe rate, housing plots count towards this. All skills get knocked backed if above 70 to 70. Enchantment resources will carry over.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Skyfire posted:

He heard us talking poo poo and now he's gonna pretend to post up, even though he can only deliver... what, half the main continent?

It feels like wasted effort at this point. Aria is slowly circling the drain and it's only a matter of time before his project goes with it.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
At this point I feel like it would have just been easier to use that patreon money and donation money to build it from scratch using UE4 or a newer version of Unity. Instead of trying to make a new/old game fit in an engine that by all accounts seems to be against customization outside small things.
All the custom assets they have made could even be reused.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 21, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I get to grind everything all over again? WHAT A DEAL

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I get to grind everything all over again? WHAT A DEAL
Yeah this seems weirdly unnecessary, gold/item wipe is good but no one likes macroing the same char twice.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's totally because the wrong people also GM'd out their skills and the five people who make up the elite can't have that.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
The elite of 12 players? I don't get that vibe really. Feels like they realized if everyone was GMd the content would dry up pretty quick. Considering said content is houses, three or four dungeons and town camping... I'm not really surprised? Problem with an incomplete map is the world is going to be so drat small.
I am looking forward to chilling in Cove 'til Moonglow is done in five years.
If we all do go back in, once houses are added, where's the planned goon town?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I remember that really, really angry guy we killed once. He was an innocent victim in the goon rush murder ball one night and every time we saw him again after he'd run to the safety of the guards and yell "gently caress YOU" at us.

Good times

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Ps

Justice for Karen

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Kortel posted:

The elite of 12 players? I don't get that vibe really. Feels like they realized if everyone was GMd the content would dry up pretty quick. Considering said content is houses, three or four dungeons and town camping... I'm not really surprised? Problem with an incomplete map is the world is going to be so drat small.
I am looking forward to chilling in Cove 'til Moonglow is done in five years.
If we all do go back in, once houses are added, where's the planned goon town?

Just right outside of Britain, as close as we can get to it.

If there any players that actually return, Goon Squad should be there to welcome them back

And take all their hard earned gold..

Tulips
Dec 27, 2011

Duck Hunt!

The new map launched a week or so back - just wondered if anyone was planning on making a come back?

Here's a link to the "Transition Plan" (which has already taken place): https://wiki.legendsofultima.online/transition-plan

You can transition any characters you want to the new map now. To do that, you pack what you want into a "Transfer Bag" (restricted mostly to just decorative items), leave that in your bank and then head to the gate with a giant Daemon stood next to it just East of Brit.

High level key things of key things that happen when you transition:
• Players in Britannia will use a new gold currency.
• Britannia gold can only be obtained in Britannia from vendors or monsters.
• All skills will be reduced by 30% upon entering Britannia.
• Skills will not be reduced below 50.0
• All stats will be reduced by 30% upon entering Britannia.
• Stats will not be reduced below 50
• Secondary Skills will remain unchanged

Skill gain in the new-old-world is... fairly brutal. It's generally very slow and the amount you can gain per day is capped, adapting to your skill points at the time (less the higher you go).

Just thought I'd drop this in here in case people didn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Lost my 2 million gold cause i thought (i read it?) that if you leave your gold in the bank box itll be there on the other side. It wasnt.
New map look's nice. Less lag it seem's. Also Less players.
Skills were pushed down to 70, :effort: on getting them back up.
Did i mention i lost my 2 million gold?

If a goon guild gets back together i might be persuaded to get my Grandmaster title back.

8/10 for the map. Hopefully the players will return. Or bot's or something ...

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 7, 2021