Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

This game is amazing, and definitely feels like an early version of UO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Be aware that they're nerfing skill gains pretty badly. Crafting gains are now extremely slow, so if you want to be a crafter you should probably wait until you have enough gold on your primary to bankroll a very long grind.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

Source on this? Some crafting pays for itself - eg, making practice items can be sold for 10g a pop, making enough money to buy more hatches or pick axes. But not super enjoyable, that's for sure.
It's on up patch notes and discord that they've nerfed crafting gains. I'm sure you could self-finance some crafting chars, but you'll probably have a better time gold farming on a combat char to feed your crafter grind.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Depends how obfuscated the custom assets, especially maps are once you download them. If anyone can download and access their Britannia map, I bet there'll be ten competitors.
You can import basically anything from the Unity store, and the Sosaria map will probably be there too, so custom assets shouldn't be all that hard to deal with in this game. Heavily customized servers like LOTR, Warhammer or UO mods will require a ton of LUA scripting though. UO-style servers will probably all requires a fair bit of time investment for skill advancement (even if you macro it takes quite some time in UO) so if you're going to make a big time investment, just stay out of server politics and enjoy the game.

Dante fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 20, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

sonikburn posted:

That's the crazy part, I was only mining the brown/orange rocks. Not only did I gain no skill points, but I was failing about 85% of the time. After an hour, I had successfully mined 18 iron ore.

I mentioned something about it on global and lolo said he wasn't sure if there was an issue, but there were reports of problems. His only advice was to mine outside of guarded areas, which I was already doing.

Like I said, I'm definitely not trying to throw shade at LoU. This seems like an awesome community and I really want to play. I just feel like I'm spending more time dealing with bugs and server lag than enjoying the gameplay right now.

Mining is by far the worst skill to grind right now in the game, but to be fair it took literally months to GM mining in UO as well. The other crafting/harvesting skills aren't as bad as mining though, but it's a good idea to roll a dexxer first to get some cash.

Dante fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 25, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Our HQ also known as the dexxer Cobra Kai training pit. Whack your nude friends with a weapon for a bit and get all those 1337 skillpoints 10 times faster than brit sewers.

Dante fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 26, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

life is killing me posted:

Oh God is this shard using the UO3D abortion?
No, third dawn was an expansion for Ultima Online. This is a LoA shard, different game.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

life is killing me posted:

I know that, but that screenshot is clearly telling a different story. And you could, if I remember right, use the 3D client at any time but I could be wrong, it's been so long ago.

So is that just a goon using a 3D client, or what?
I don't know what you're asking here. It is true that Ultima Online released a (terrible) an expansion with a 3D client almost everyone ignored and didn't use. This is a screenshot of Legends of Aria, a different game that is not UO, but which has a community mod that's remaking UO. LoA is a 3d isometric game.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Nice piece of fish posted:

Same, except the complete opposite. I never played UO and since reading about it I've always wanted to get into it because so much of it was stuff that I really really like in games. But, no chance to try it out before now.

Unfortunately, I have about the same or even less time to game than you do, so welp. Still, this is some interesting stuff itt.

I noticed that you have to grind money before you can do fun (I loving hate playing any kind of melee character and only ever play mages because why wouldn't you), is that really a mandatory thing or could you muddle through as a beginner mage if you're willing to put up with non-optimalness and extra time/effort instead of hitting things with a pointy metal thing? How bad would it be to go right at it as a wizard?

tl;dr: Yes it's possible, but it takes longer/is less fun.

Long answer: UO's design means that balance is very different from contemporary MMOs which places a lot higher emphasis on every class being viable in most scenarios. UO is skill based instead of classes/professions and you increase skills by use rather than killing monsters. Having so many skills (but you can only max 7 on a char) means that you can create specialized characters that do very well in a specific scenario, but by design they do worse in others. A bard is for example quite good in PvE, but useless in PvP. Bards being good at PvE and therefore good at earning lots of gold also means they are expensive to skill up and it takes a looong time. If you want to play a pure mage (only uses spells for damage and maxes spell damage) that isn't really an efficient build for PvE, but it's pretty great for PvP. It's also expensive (mainly because it takes a lot of reagents to raise Magery, Magic Resistance and Inscription), but the skills go up fast. If you create a dexxer you could easily utilize magery spells and as you gain money reskill your character (or an alt) into a pure mage. Most characters in UO will have some Magery (mainly because of quality of life stuff like cure and recall). You can also do it the pure way and fund yourself by resource harvesting or using inscription to make spellbooks and sell them in chat, but it's going to be a lot slower and boring.

Dante fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 30, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm starting to see what you folks mean. Yeah it's not so much that you're forced through incredibly unfun play as it's just a really really really long and expensive grind to get magery learn good. Well, I'll certainly think on it.
Taming is a long and terrible grind, magery is actually fast by UO standards. Just set up a macro and go to sleep and you have great skills the next day. It's just expensive to fund casting all those spells to skill up. For a good pure mage I would imagine it costing something like 200k to grind up.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Tried to take a cool picture of us murdering the huge dragon boss (all proceeds going to the new Goon HQ), but the boss is too big to fit on the screen - also it murders you back.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Cuck Finn: Goonsquad is proud to report we have brought justice to a shoplifter!

Silvena: That was my shop you idiots.

Cuck Finn: Goonsquad is proud to report that we have struck a blow against the petty bourgeoisie tyrants who hold you in chains.

Haha that's great

Dante fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 4, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks for the invite Goons. Snagged the newbie dexer sword kit and started killing stuff much more effectively.

Does fighting harder stuff increase skill gains any faster?
Nope, it's all classic UO. You gain by use, doesn't matter if you hit a rabbit or a champion.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

Setting up macroing overnight is a no go for me, but setting it up before going to work is great. What should a brand new dexer start with?
Take Magic Resist, Fencing, Tactics and Healing as your four initial skills. Buy up anatomy to 30 after you start. For your last two you could do whatever you want, parry and poisoning is a strong PvP build. Magery helps for quality of life stuff.
Fight in brit sewers level 2 and farm harpys until you have 60ish weapon skills. Then buy a silver weapon and farm deception. You can make your own bandages from taking the cart behind Moonglow to Mag farms and pick cotton, then weave and cut it twice.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

App13 posted:

That could definitely be it. I was hitting a goon with a mace, getting a lot of healing and anatomy points but nothing for melee

Yeah sparring gains broke a few days ago, not sure if this is intended or a bug.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Frog Act posted:

how many active goons play this at the moment? follow up question, is being a healer an actual thing?
20 people online in discord at the moment and another 20 offline. No, being a dedicated healer is not a thing - though sometimes some mages help out someone who tries to tank.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Stat&skillgain problems have been hotfixed.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

soy posted:

It would be great if someone could mark a bunch of runes to goon HQ for newbies and leave em somewhere. Recall scrolls would be good too.

I was scoping out player vendors but finding basic consumables seems to be pretty hard, most vendors are out of stock.

It'd be kinda cool if we could have a little vendor mart for goons charging fair prices. I'm planning on doing fletching so I could keep an arrow vendor stocked.
I've placed a GoonMall shack right next to the NuJelm moongate. A previous vendor from the old house that fell is stuck in front of it though, so I've sent a request to the admins to remove it. Once that happens it will be open for goons who want to place vendors right next to a public moongate and sell stuff.

If you want to sell discounted stuff to goons you could possibly place some vendors inside the compound.

Dante fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 8, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Goonmall is now up and running! (admins fix stuff fast) First wooden shack straight north from NuJelm moongate. The house wont place any closer to the gate, but if you place your vendor right at the plot line it will be visible from the gate. Guild ownership is enabled, but please limit yourself to one vendor so others can peddle their knockoffs as well.

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Probably 90% of the people who play this are old farts who played UO in their teens 20 years ago, so most of us have limited playtime. UO is by design (use-by-gain) and culture (the server admins are OK with it) very easy to macro compared to most other MMOs. If you spend like 30 minutes before going to get and setting up macros and sparring chains you can easily macro a dexxer to 7xGM overnight in less than a week.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

I'll donate $10 for this lowly, unemployed goon to play this awful game if we an get another $20 in donations
I'll chip in, everyone should get to experience the glory that is an alpha mod of a game beta that's based on a 20 year old MMO.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

At this point, use those last points on either lumberjack or poisoning.

Brit sewers is a good newbie dungeon! Take the portal gate from Goontown over to Occlo, then use the moongate to Britain. Head into town and you'll find the entrance to the sewers not too far away from the bank. Lots of feathers to be had from the harpies/owlbears in there. Once you get enough skill and money, grab a silver weapon and hit up Deception for more money and skill. Or you can wail on a willing goon.

If you want to make a tamer, do it on a new character. But be warned, taming is potentially the most difficult skill to gain! Taming also works well with bard skills and magery.

Could anyone critique the below build? It's something I've wanted to try for a fair while now, but haven't felt masochistic enough to actually try.

100 Animal taming
100 Animal lore
100 Magic resist
70 Music
70 Discordance
70 Provocation
64 Magery
63 Eval. Intelligence
63 Meditation
Five issues:
1. Like mentioned above, you get a music check before a bard skill check so having less than 100 music will up your fail rate significantly
2. They're adding barding difficulties, so I imagine high-tiered mobs will need more than 70 provocation
3. 64 magery isn't high enough to summon EVs without fizzling a lot, and EVs are your magery bread-and-butter in that build - they do more damage than what you get out of direct damage spells plus 60 eval.int.
4. You have no weapon skill, so every hit will connect and every hit will interrupt. You'll be very vulnerable to getting jumped by PKs (and mobs when you lag out).
5. Without veterinary you won't be able to heal your pet enough for it to tank, especially once they implement the mana regen nerfs.

My five cents is that the build tries too fit too many roles at once and you'd be better off adjusting it.

Dante fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 24, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh yeah before I buy this, LOA is in beta right?

So are gonna be any wipes before live, if I play and kill some nubs and take their poo poo am I gonna have to do it all over again in 2 months or something?
LoA will wipe before release, LoU isn't planning on wiping.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

LoU will need to wipe housing if they're bringing in an era accurate map, won't they?
Yeah that's true, but that's a wipe as in you need to pack up your poo poo and place your house again. Nothing gets lost.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I didn't even kill him, he just straight into a door trap and died while I was hidden on my lockpicker char (with zero offensive skills) next to him. I picked up his loot bag and recalled :sax:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Our reputation is spreading

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

:laugh:

Dante fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 30, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Andi got the boot shortly after we left. Godspeed you raging salaryman.

haha, what happened to Andi? Wasn't he literally the one paying the bills?

RIP this game, it was fun even though the server was a mess. Just goes to show that the UO formula is still loving awesome to play

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

soy posted:

ya it was sorta fun until they broke the poo poo out of it with whatever that patch was. It was pretty cool building little pvp towns prop by prop and having fights with the buttmad pubbies.

I'm still sad I didn't get more than a week or two out of my noxmage before everything broke. Considering the sheer talent behind Outlands I really wish they just coded a new client from scratch. I really enjoy UO-style PvP, but not the late-stage where it was basically scripts duking it out. Also they kinda made Outlands a little too grindy for my taste.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I can confirm this game is good again, get back on your chars and stock up before the new map launches.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Does this server still have any population?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I get to grind everything all over again? WHAT A DEAL
Yeah this seems weirdly unnecessary, gold/item wipe is good but no one likes macroing the same char twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

The premise, I imagine is a creating a robust player driven economy by making individual skills such a pain in the rear end to raise that people won't make their own individual *everything.* I have no idea who they think their player base is.

This, no one that actually played UO has a desire to grind out skills in UO. UO was all about macroing your char up and then going on adventures. Turning this into a grindfest is a bizarre version of UO.