Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cyborg hate is super ridiculous.

His biggest problem is never having anyone give him a compelling solo run.

Cyborg is awesome, who's hating? He just was a silly choice to push into the JL at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How is he less of a useful character in the league than Aquaman? Not dunking on Aquaman, but it's rare the comics even use him for anything in particular.

I had plenty to complain about in the N52 JL, but I never felt like screaming "Why are you even here?!" into the comics. He worked fine.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 8, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

How is he less of a useful character in the league than Aquaman? Not dunking on Aquaman, but it's rare the comics even use him for anything in particular.

No one mentioned usefulness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's how they did it, essentially wiping away 30 years of history and blank-slating him. Yes I know they have reverse much of that but at the time it was just a bit boggling. Especially when Jon Stewart was a long-known JL member because of the toon.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aquaman has had long solo runs, he's a character with history who inspires emotions in people. Mostly emotions of derision, and then you get people hilariously arguing that actually he's really cool. Plus he's got the whole exiled king, royal family thing going on. He's even got a wife who is also a superhero and has her own character history. He brings something to the table, narratively.

Cyborg is just Cyborg. He's also there. He's got the thing about having emotions about being a cyborg That's it. He worked well on the Teen Titans because he was the mature, level-headed one. He was also the tech guy. Justice League didn't need either of those things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vic was great in John's Flash run up until he returned him to his original look and then froze him like that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Also Cyborg has relationships and history with the titans, he doesn't really have a history with the justice league, especially the New 52 one. So he was just "the guy in the team who's a cyborg".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Also Cyborg has relationships and history with the titans, he doesn't really have a history with the justice league, especially the New 52 one. So he was just "the guy in the team who's a black".

Let's not dance around it, this is the only reason he was put on the team.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Let's not dance around it, this is the only reason he was put on the team.

I believe that's what started this conversation.

I mean at least when they put The Falcon on the Avengers as a diversity hire they made that into a story beat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I believe that's what started this conversation.

I mean at least when they put The Falcon on the Avengers as a diversity hire they made that into a story beat.

I'm still salty over J'onn getting booted from founder status. I do believe someone even suggested he adopt a black human form and it was dismissed as stupid but hey, it's worked for Supergirl very well hasn't it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What harm has that done, though? He wasn't any sort of reason Geoff Johns' comic or the movie were poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

What harm has that done, though? He wasn't any sort of reason Geoff Johns' comic or the movie were poo poo.

What good did pushing him out do?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

What harm has that done, though?

My grandfather died of cancer because of it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I would have accepted Cyborg into the JL if he graduated from TT into the Justice league. That would have been awesome character growth, instead of shoehorning him in as a brand new original character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Were Black Lightning's daughters invented for the CW show? It would have been cool to have him on Justice League and one or both of the girls on Teen Titans.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Martian Manhunter is really cool. Cooler than Cyborg, for sure. Deathlok is cooler than Cyborg, and Deathlok isn't cool at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Were Black Lightning's daughters invented for the CW show? It would have been cool to have him on Justice League and one or both of the girls on Teen Titans.

No, they first appear in Kingdom Come. I believe they are added to the DCU proper in Winnik's Outsiders and John's JSA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

No, they first appear in Kingdom Come. I believe they are added to the DCU proper in Winnik's Outsiders and John's JSA.

Then my idea for a more diverse founding Justice League is even better. DC, please steal this idea next time you reboot the universe, which will probably be as soon as Bendis gets bored writing Superman (so either less than a year from now or ten years from now).

Edit: Actually I double checked and Bendis wrote Spider-Man in various incarnations for almost 19 years.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 9, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This week's issue of Archie is Mark Waid's last.

He's being replaced by.........Nick Spencer.

:negative:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/books/archie-issue-700-riverdale-betty-veronica.html

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Valkyrie is such a dumb villain early on but oh my god Up Against the Wall Male Chauvinist Pigs is maybe my favourite line in comics.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Endless Mike posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/books/archie-issue-700-riverdale-betty-veronica.html

Starting to think Archie Comics deserves its financial woes.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Jordan7hm posted:

Valkyrie is such a dumb villain early on but oh my god Up Against the Wall Male Chauvinist Pigs is maybe my favourite line in comics.

Uh, pic please?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I got bored and ran some numbers
  • The MCU has made a profit of roughly 12,813,181,079 USD
  • They spent 4,244,900,000 USD on the movies.
  • They made 17,058,081,079 USD on the movies.
  • The most poriftable movie was the original Avengers .
  • The second most profitable movie was Black Panther.
  • It has made, on average, 1,281,318,108 USD per year in regards to its current 10 year run.
All of these are rough figures.
The data is according to Wikipedia.
The figures are collected from Iron Man to the opening weekend of Ant-Man and the Wasp.
Profitable determined by comparing money earned versus production budget.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sounds like superhero movie fatigue is killing the industry, watch my 4 hour rant investigation on youtube please remember to like, subscribe, and comment below

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Sounds like superhero movie fatigue is killing the industry, watch my 4 hour rant investigation on youtube please remember to like, subscribe, and comment below

The answer is blue cat people.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

I dont want to know about your tumblr fetish art

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

I would say there is no sign of Superhero fatigue. The movies are making roughly the same amount of money they have since the beginning. Actually, they've been making more money. The original Thor, Incredible Hulk, and Captain America are actually some of the least profitable films in the entire franchise. Their sequels made roughly double what the originals made. Their sequels all came out after the Avengers, and that likely is what gave them that boost. Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War made obscene amounts of money.

I wonder if the pattern will hold for Ant-Man. The original did pretty poorly by MCU standards, but the character appeared in Civil War (which was, technically, an Avenger's movie). So, I expect sequel to get a boost from it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I bet the phase 3+ movies are even more profitable if you take into account the 3d versions were heavily pushed in the phase 1 era but nowadays no one gives a poo poo and sees it in 2d w/o the extra fee

site fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 10, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I dont want to know about your tumblr fetish art

THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAID BEFOR

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

That's like putting out fire with gasoline

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's like putting out fire with gasoline

:wow:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Valkyrie is such a dumb villain early on

Maybe, but I think that her first appearance is the first Rutland story and I love the Rutland stories.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAID BEFOR

I TOLD YOU THAT'S DMS ONLY I HAVE TO SET AN EXAMPLE FOR BABY TRANS

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Endless Mike posted:

Guh :/ I shouldn't have used that monkey's paw to take it off hiatus. Then again it's not like any writer other than Mark Waid has lasted longer than a few issues on any comic they've put out so far (mainly because the comics themselves rarely last), so if I'm real lucky, he'll rotate out in short order.

I've still got several issues left in my current subscription so I'll still be picking this up as long as Spencer doesn't suddenly establish that "Everyone is welcome in Riverdale" includes Nazis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

"THE FEMINAZI MISANDRIST DISEASE OF THE SJW KATHLEEN KENNEDY IS SPREADING TO MARVEL!!!!!"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

More really weird Stan Lee drama....after dropping his $1 billion lawsuit against POW!

https://twitter.com/TheRealStanLee/status/1017114938630983680

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man I was checking the comments on that new Nancy strip and you'd think 60 year old men would be ashamed of openly complaining about a cartoon character's tits not being big enough, but you'd be wrong.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Never check the comments.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The comments on Nancy are absolutely the most entertaining thing on GoComics as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Man I was checking the comments on that new Nancy strip and you'd think 60 year old men would be ashamed of openly complaining about a cartoon character's tits not being big enough, but you'd be wrong.

In fairness, Nancy was originally all about how hot Fritzi was. They introduced Nancy, made her the main character, and changed the name of the comic years later

This new completely un-bodacious version of Aunt Fritzi has gotta sting for long time fans

• Locked thread