Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

In fairness, Nancy was originally all about how hot Fritzi was. They introduced Nancy, made her the main character, and changed the name of the comic years later

This new completely un-bodacious version of Aunt Fritzi has gotta sting for long time fans

Those motherfuckers ain't been reading since 1922! They're not that old!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

In fairness, Nancy was originally all about how hot Fritzi was. They introduced Nancy, made her the main character, and changed the name of the comic years later

This new completely un-bodacious version of Aunt Fritzi has gotta sting for long time fans

I mean, the only people who read newspapers are really old, but I don't think there's that many people left who are that old.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Those motherfuckers ain't been reading since 1922! They're not that old!

Personally, while I don't have any emotional connection the character, I still think it's a loss for representation of sexually liberated bodacious babes in newspapers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Guy Goodbody posted:

Personally, while I don't have any emotional connection the character, I still think it's a loss for representation of sexually liberated bodacious babes in newspapers.
She was a flapper girl originally and never really had huge (or particularly prominent) breasts until the strip was taken over by Guy Gilchrist and wait a minute

Guy Goodbody look you can still do commissions with Fritzi's breasts as big as you want. Bigger! Someone will buy them probably.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

simpler times....

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Guy Goodbody posted:

simpler times....

I'm the flat yellow sky

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Guy Goodbody posted:

simpler times....

She looks like a corpse. I mean, look at her face! It's lifeless. Like a doll.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Apparently there is a ComicCon in Atlanta from Today through Sunday.

I guess I'll go and take pictures, but is there any interest in a thread about it or should I just save that poo poo for Facebook and let the Comic Con discussions just be for the San Diego one?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Apparently there is a ComicCon in Atlanta from Today through Sunday.

I guess I'll go and take pictures, but is there any interest in a thread about it or should I just save that poo poo for Facebook and let the Comic Con discussions just be for the San Diego one?

Who are the guests?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Madkal posted:

Who are the guests?

Sean Astin, Lea Thompson, Cary Elwes, Breanna Hildebrand, lots of artists, etc.

Full list is on this website about it.

https://atlantacomiccon.com/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you could get a picture of Ty Templeton giving the thumbs up or a wave or something and post it on this forum that would be cool.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When did Marvel get rid of narration in comics?

That was a big mistake, imo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It was a comic thing in general. I say mid 2000s. It's why stories take longer to finish now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

It was a comic thing in general. I say mid 2000s. It's why stories take longer to finish now.

Yeah, I was reading a bunch of old Ka-Zar and Black Panther comics, and I just jumped ahead to "Heroic Age" superhero comics, and jesus christ. You used to get your goddamn money's worth for 75 cents. Back then a comic book told a complete story, even if it was part of a larger story too. I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I paid four dollars for Avengers #7 and got a chapter of some super long story that doesn't even bother to explain what's going on.

Why do they even bother doing monthly issues anymore? there's no point to a single issue of that kind of comic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Madkal posted:

If you could get a picture of Ty Templeton giving the thumbs up or a wave or something and post it on this forum that would be cool.

Ty wrote one of the best Plastic Man comics ever printed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Ty wrote one of the best Plastic Man comics ever printed.

His name isn’t Jack Cole or Kyle Baker, so I doubt that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, I was reading a bunch of old Ka-Zar and Black Panther comics, and I just jumped ahead to "Heroic Age" superhero comics, and jesus christ. You used to get your goddamn money's worth for 75 cents. Back then a comic book told a complete story, even if it was part of a larger story too. I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I paid four dollars for Avengers #7 and got a chapter of some super long story that doesn't even bother to explain what's going on.

Why do they even bother doing monthly issues anymore? there's no point to a single issue of that kind of comic.

That was one of Shooter's rules, wasn't it? "Every comic should be capable of being someone's first." I recall one X-men Masterworks or omnibus introduction where either Louise Simonson or Ann Nocenti remarked that most of the issues Claremont wrote at the time had its own conflict which was introduced and resolved within that issue whether or not it was part of a larger arc and how that was one of his underappreciated talents as a writer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think they do it because they have no choice. This is how the direct market works. I’ve been reading a ton about European comics and how they sell them in NA, and the album format they use just fails whenever they try it. One of the imprints for Euro books talked about splitting up a 3 album series into 5 issues to fit the direct market, in other cases they may split it up even more. And even then European comics are still generally so compressed that a “2 issue” album takes more than than 15 minutes to read, whereas that’s rarely the case for 2 decompressed modern American comics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
American publishers still do single issues because for better or worse it's what the market seems to honestly want.

To use one of the very few A=A examples possible: Squirrel Girl.

There's been a monthly Squirrel Girl comic coming out for a few years now, written by Ryan North and (up until recently) drawn by Erica Henderson. Like most comics, the monthly sales decay over time, and after about forty issues its average monthly physical sales have drifted down to the 8500-9500 range, with occasional spikes for cover variants.

In October 2016, Marvel put out Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe, an original 120 page graphic novel by Ryan North and Erica Henderson.

It got 4,542 pre-orders through Diamond, or about 1/3 as many pre-orders as Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #13 the same month.

But what about bookstores, you ask? As with all of this information we've got incomplete information but looking at Brian Hibbs's annual Bookscan analyses, Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe did not crack the Top 750 in either 2016 or 2017. Over the course of the same two year period, Bookscan shows nearly 14,000 copies of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl v1 sold through bookstores, and a little over 5,000 copies of v2.

For reference, in order to make it on the 2017 Top 750 bookscan you'd have to sell at least 4,007 copies over the course of a year.

No one other than presumably the publishers knows exactly how many copies of anything are sold digitally so that may change (or be changing) the market as we speak, but as it stands now for whatever reason the "monthly series that is later collected" is by far the most successful (relatively speaking) release format.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I just got back from the doc and diagnosis isn't what I wanted to hear but I feel confident they have a great grasp of what's going and will treat it as needed.

Basically I have two conditions, Mastoiditis which is a build up of infection and fluid in the bone behind the ear. The doctor is very confident this can be treated by another round of stronger antibiotics and steroids together, but it still may be possible I'll need surgery.

Through medicine/surgery/time/special exercises he is fully confident I'll regain my balance completely.

The hearing loss is more complicated. What I have is called sensorineural hearing loss. This is nerve damage in the ear. He said it's rare, but not totally unheard of, for this to happen with a sinus infection. The prognosis on this is to be determined at this point. He wants to see if the stronger steroid helps at all but was pretty up front that this could either be temporary, recurring, or even permanent.

My worst fear going in what this could be permanent, and it's possible it is. But I still somehow feel a little better just finally knowing what the hell is going on.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 13, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

X-O posted:

He said it's rare, but not totally unheard of

:rolleyes:

But it's good that they finally nailed down on something! Now just good luck with the treatment.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

So I just got back from the doc and diagnosis isn't what I wanted to hear but I feel confident they have a great grasp of what's going and will treat it as needed.

Basically I have two conditions, Mastoiditis which is a build up of infection and fluid in the bone behind the ear. The doctor is very confident this can be treated by another round of stronger antibiotics and steroids together, but it still may be possible I'll need surgery.

Through medicine/surgery/time/special exercises he is fully confident I'll regain my balance completely.

The hearing loss is more complicated. What I have is called sensorineural hearing loss. This is nerve damage in the ear. He said it's rare, but not totally unheard of, for this to happen with a sinus infection. The prognosis on this is to be determined at this point. He wants to see if the stronger steroid helps at all but was pretty up front that this could either be temporary, recurring, or even permanent.

My worst fear going in what this could be permanent, and it's possible it is. But I still somehow feel a little better just finally knowing what the hell is going on.

Hope it all goes well. Luckily you don't need ears to read good comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is very much true. My Spotify subscription is in peril though! Seriously I used to fall asleep at night listening on earbuds and it's just not the same anymore. It's been weeks since I've really listened to any music because it's just a bummer.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

This is very much true. My Spotify subscription is in peril though! Seriously I used to fall asleep at night listening on earbuds and it's just not the same anymore. It's been weeks since I've really listened to any music because it's just a bummer.
Look, man. Worst case scenario, we get you robot ears and a costume and see if the Doom Patrol is feeling particularly picky.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
glad to hear you got some diagnosis and treatment in the pipeline, thats good news. i hope everythings only temporary!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Modern music is trash so you aren't missing anything. However, if your spotify is filled with greatest rock songs of the 90's, then I feel for your pain.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Modern music is trash so you aren't missing anything. However, if your spotify is filled with greatest rock songs of the 90's, then I feel for your pain.

My list is filled with everything except country and electronic music. From ATCQ to Snarky Puppy and from Metallica to Liszt. I listen to a lot of different stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It is crazy how much some of Liszt's work sounds like 80s rock ballads, but for piano.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

It is crazy how much some of Liszt's work sounds like 80s rock ballads, but for piano.

The amount of material he has is nuts. And I hear the groundwork of a lot of different styles in different things he does. From pop to prog rock. There's a wide variety of great stuff there. And the intricacy and difficulty of some his stuff is just off the charts. I love seeing modern players try to play something like Totentanz for example.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 13, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like Liszt fans are probably sick of hearing about it, but I recommend Ken Russel's "Lisztomania" to basically everyone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like Liszt fans are probably sick of hearing about it, but I recommend Ken Russel's "Lisztomania" to basically everyone.

Lisztomania is fantastic. My favorite ridiculously nutty Liszt piece is the aforementioned Totentanz. If you're a fan of Liszt you owe it to yourself to see the performance of it by Valentina Lisitsa at Royal Albert Hall. You can find it on Youtube. I bought her DVD because of it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jordan7hm posted:

His name isn’t Jack Cole or Kyle Baker, so I doubt that.

I said "one of the". It is a good comic.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Plastic_Man_Special_Vol_1_1

Covok
May 27, 2013

I've been reading some of the old Stan Lee Steve ditko Spider-Man stuff. One of the weird things on noticing is that most of Spider-Man's core Rogues gallery were introduced within the first 10 issues. That really doesn't happen anymore. Consider a lot of the newer characters like Kamala Khan and Robbie Reyes and Miles Morales. Try to imagine the Rogues gallery. Kamala Khan has like for villains and that's after 50 issues and some of them only appeared once.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Covok posted:

I've been reading some of the old Stan Lee Steve ditko Spider-Man stuff. One of the weird things on noticing is that most of Spider-Man's core Rogues gallery were introduced within the first 10 issues. That really doesn't happen anymore. Consider a lot of the newer characters like Kamala Khan and Robbie Reyes and Miles Morales. Try to imagine the Rogues gallery. Kamala Khan has like for villains and that's after 50 issues and some of them only appeared once.

Villains are definitely the weak point of Ms. Marvel but I liked the evil teen crew she fought during Civil War II. The only other two returning villains I can think of off of the top of my head were kind of dull-- when the most recent one turned up again I rolled my eyes and felt like it brought down what had been an enjoyable soap-opera arc up to that point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah kamala definitely doesnt have a great rogue's gallery

Theres like, that virus from world of warcraft...and the guy in the chicken suit

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RE Lee/Ditko Spider-Man: Yeah a lot of classics appeared. But more than a few forgetful ones also. Who else remembers The Circus of Crime?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

notthegoatseguy posted:

RE Lee/Ditko Spider-Man: Yeah a lot of classics appeared. But more than a few forgetful ones also. Who else remembers The Circus of Crime?

They were originally Hulk (!) villains but later on sort of became one of the bad guy teams everybody fought at least once.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

Yeah kamala definitely doesnt have a great rogue's gallery

Theres like, that virus from world of warcraft...and the guy in the chicken suit

Which is weird because her supporting cast is huge, almost entirely memorable and endearing, and Wilson has shown no trouble in continuing to flesh it out and complicate it in fun and interesting ways. So it isn't like Wilson is just bad at coming up with characters-- I think it's more that creating villains has not turned out to be a priority for the way Ms. Marvel works as an engine for storytelling.

Which I guess is a testament to her ability to refine the Marvel-Hero formula-- fighting people is probably one of the least important elements of her run, and one of the most incidental parts about Kamala's conception of heroism. She's more effective and more interesting as a community beacon, and I think it's telling that her powers lend themselves to non-violent action set-pieces like stopping a runaway train (and that Wilson can sell stopping a runaway train as a valid and exciting multi-issue conflict).

Maybe this is why Kamala can seem so "off" in other titles-- she doesn't really fit into the narrative mold that team-comics and team-ups have settled into, for better or worse. I'd really like to see some writer try to meet the character half-way and translate their own characters into her narrative logic instead of trying to force her into a punch-punch kick-kick thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

The circus of crime loving rules you fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduke posted:

Which is weird because her supporting cast is huge, almost entirely memorable and endearing, and Wilson has shown no trouble in continuing to flesh it out and complicate it in fun and interesting ways. So it isn't like Wilson is just bad at coming up with characters-- I think it's more that creating villains has not turned out to be a priority for the way Ms. Marvel works as an engine for storytelling.

Which I guess is a testament to her ability to refine the Marvel-Hero formula-- fighting people is probably one of the least important elements of her run, and one of the most incidental parts about Kamala's conception of heroism. She's more effective and more interesting as a community beacon, and I think it's telling that her powers lend themselves to non-violent action set-pieces like stopping a runaway train (and that Wilson can sell stopping a runaway train as a valid and exciting multi-issue conflict).

Maybe this is why Kamala can seem so "off" in other titles-- she doesn't really fit into the narrative mold that team-comics and team-ups have settled into, for better or worse. I'd really like to see some writer try to meet the character half-way and translate their own characters into her narrative logic instead of trying to force her into a punch-punch kick-kick thing.

Agreed. Im interested in seeing whether willow can make the same narrative shift with wonder woman, i think it would be good for diana to be wirtten similarly

• Locked thread