Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

Sounds like superhero movie fatigue is killing the industry, watch my 4 hour rant investigation on youtube please remember to like, subscribe, and comment below

"THE FEMINAZI MISANDRIST DISEASE OF THE SJW KATHLEEN KENNEDY IS SPREADING TO MARVEL!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, I was reading a bunch of old Ka-Zar and Black Panther comics, and I just jumped ahead to "Heroic Age" superhero comics, and jesus christ. You used to get your goddamn money's worth for 75 cents. Back then a comic book told a complete story, even if it was part of a larger story too. I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I paid four dollars for Avengers #7 and got a chapter of some super long story that doesn't even bother to explain what's going on.

Why do they even bother doing monthly issues anymore? there's no point to a single issue of that kind of comic.

That was one of Shooter's rules, wasn't it? "Every comic should be capable of being someone's first." I recall one X-men Masterworks or omnibus introduction where either Louise Simonson or Ann Nocenti remarked that most of the issues Claremont wrote at the time had its own conflict which was introduced and resolved within that issue whether or not it was part of a larger arc and how that was one of his underappreciated talents as a writer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

notthegoatseguy posted:

RE Lee/Ditko Spider-Man: Yeah a lot of classics appeared. But more than a few forgetful ones also. Who else remembers The Circus of Crime?

They were originally Hulk (!) villains but later on sort of became one of the bad guy teams everybody fought at least once.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My absolute least favourite Marvel d-list (which admittedly might be being a trifle over-generous) villains are Salem's Seven. I don't know, there's just nothing about them I like.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Sincere question as I only know them from OHOTMUDE and the Vision and Scarlet Witch mini-series but have they actually appeared in a meaningful way in the past thirty years? I agree they're turds but it's a deep cut to hate on.

They showed up in that Kurt Busiek Avengers annual that re-introduced Patsy Walker as Hellcat.

One on hand, Len Wein was one of very few guys who seemed to be creating all these new characters at Marvel in the 70s before Shooter introduced a royalty system, but they're definitely not inspired work, and I think Pérez must have been having an off-day when he designed them.

I don't know, I just really dislike them. As far as FF bad guys go, even the likes of Janus the Nega-Man (probably my second least favourite Lee/Kirby FF villain after Prester John), Overmind, Devos the Devastator, Paibok the Power-Skrull and Occulus (POWER INCARNATE!) are better than Salem's Seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you are familiar with the website Discogs, which is a combined database/marketplace for music recording (primarily vinyl) it looks as though it has a new sister site called Comicogs which will try to do the same thing for comics.

• Locked thread