Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Welcome to SEASON 10?! of the 20-team fantasy league. Can you believe this thing made it a whole decade? For those of you who don't know, our good commish JetsGuy decided at the end of last season to step down. He has done an amazing job of making this what it is today and I can only hope that I can carry the torch and maybe leave it a little better than I got it.

:siren: CURRENT DRAFT IS LISTED AT Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 9PM EASTERN TIME :siren:
There is no Game of Thrones this year, so no bitching.

LITERALLY ALL THE RULES ARE HERE, READ THEM

Members
Priority goes to the players who got into the league last year. These guys will have til about Aug. 11th to tell me IN THIS THREAD that they are going to participate. Not in PM, not on the league page. Here. I am not psychic, and I really don't keep up with HILARIOUS FORUM JOKES, so I do not know if you've changed your username, so you know, lemme know if you did that. Also, if you're changing your team name, tell us so we can update the OP. IF YOU ARE A RETURNING MEMBER, ALSO POST IN THE LEAGUE PAGE TO CONFIRM YOU CAN ACTUALLY READ.

Second priority goes to wait list people. If you were on the wait list from last year, you're below. If you want to be added to the wait list, post and I will add you first come first serve.

Scoring :siren: Changes! Pay attention:siren:
With our 10th year upon us, I've taken a lot of time to reflect on what made this league great and what could be done to improve it. After last season, we had a few discussions about what changes we could implement to improve the league. Quite overwhelmingly, 2 changes were supported.

1: Non-resetting waiver wire - As it currently stands, the waiver wire resets to reverse standings order weekly. This is a fairly unpopular feature as it made using your waiver claims less of a decision if you were doing poorly and also made it impossible to gain a quality replacement if you were not in the bottom 1/3 of the league. Moving forward this year, the waiver order will NOT reset weekly. If you make a successful waiver claim, your priority will go down to the bottom of the order.

2: .5 points per reception (PPR) - This might be the biggest change of the year, but it is one factor that will help balance other positions against the quarterback. This should help boost the value of higher workload WRs/TEs that may not get huge chunks of yardage but are still vital to the game. This could also add some value to specialty short yardage RBs and WRs to bring them from unplayable to replacement level.

3: -1 point for missed PAT - I actually think this was just overlooked for a decade in the black hole that is kicker stats. Missing a FG at any yardage loses a point. PATs are essentially really easy FGs and it is super embarrassing for a kicker to miss one. He should feel bad and so should you.

4: D/ST Rework - While probably less impacting than the PPR addition, changing how the D/ST position scored is certainly the biggest change and the one I expect to be met with the most skepticism. While I understand the trepidation, I ask for a bit of faith as I believe it will be the best in the long run. There are 3 key changes I want to make to how the D/ST position is scored.

a: Scoring of forced fumbles and fumbles recovered: Currently we score 2 points for a fumble recovered, essentially 2 points for a turnover and 0 points for a fumble forced. Forcing a fumble, whether it results in a turnover or not is a marquee play for a defensive player. It stops the play dead, much in the way a sack does (which we score a point for). Forcing the fumble should not be negated if a turnover does not occur, I see them as 2 separate actions. I would like to see it scored on equal footing with a sack, 1 point for the force, 2 points for the recovery (the turnover)

b: Passes defended: Currently we do not track passes defended as a stat. This undercuts the value of defenses that have star safeties and corners. While interceptions are rightfully rewarded as forcing a turnover, there is no equivalent to a sack tracked for pass defenses. I believe passes defended could fit this role and at the .5 point per pass defended value would put it in line with sacks.

c: Points allowed: The current scoring of points allowed is as follows:
PA0 0 points allowed 10
PA1 1-6 points allowed 7
PA7 7-13 points allowed 4
PA14 14-17 points allowed 1
PA18 18-21 points allowed 0
PA22 22-27 points allowed -1
PA28 28-34 points allowed -4
PA35 35-45 points allowed -7
PA46 46+ points allowed -10
This breakdown is problematic for several reasons. First and most damning of all is that it makes the thought "Well, I will just play no one" the right though in far too many circumstances. This league is already stretched on startable players, we do not need to arbitrarily make it smaller. There are also too many variables to the outcome other than the defense playing like poo poo. Maybe the offense was poo poo and the defense was on the field 3/4 of the time. Nothing feels worse than getting a great showing from most of your players, playing a close fantasy game only to have your Monday night defense play against Tom Brady. You should want to start everyone you can and this league should be conducive to that goal. I would like to change the points allowed scoring as follows:

0 points allowed: 15
1-6 points allowed: 10
7-13 points allowed: 5
14-17 points allowed: 3
All other points allowed: 0

This system rewards better defenses without punishing poor showings. I have run the numbers from last season if scoring were changed this way. The biggest gainers from this change is among the bottom 1/3 of defenses. With the changes, they can be counted on for a few points, which is a heck of a lot better than just running no one because it isn't worth the risk. Overall, with all changes, defensive scoring is up ~6-8 points. Will this make high end defenses more viable as early picks? No. But it will make them reasonable 4th-6th round picks which I think is a lot better than trying to figure out which RB left might be good for 4 or 5 touches a game.

I know this is a lot to process and change is a little bit frightening. It is also not permanent. After this season, these changes will be reviewed and anything that has been a problem will be tossed.

BREAKDOWN
The draft *does* take time, but really the roster is smaller than most. Most people seemed happy with the way the rosters were last year, but we are always up for debate to expand it (contracting is out of the question). Last year, we voted to expand the rosters to:

QB, RB, WR, RB/WR/TE, RB/WR/TE, TE, D/ST, K, 5 BE, 2 IR

DRAFT
We will be doing a live draft. Please plan your schedules accordingly. Set your rankings, and get a friend to draft for you if need be (better option).

Draft order will be randomized after the league is officially filled.

LEAGUE SCHEDULING
I have yet to set up the schedules. I need to fill the league before I do
your schedule will look like this:
-8 division games
-3 conference games
-2 OoC games

We keep the same divisions. The AFC and NFC conferences will be placed on other ends of the real playoffs when the time comes.

PLAYOFF BERTHS

I could have sworn I had a section on this, but since I am asked this every year, I'm putting it in the OP. IGNORE THE ESPN PLAYOFF BERTHS, THEY ARE WRONG. The playoff berths are determined using the ACTUAL RULES THE NFL HAS. In some cases, I skip a tie-breaker, like "margin of victory", because you cannot control how the other team scores.

SEASON 10:

SA Name
JetsGuy
Silly Burrito
commish
Eltoasto
halonx
jabro
Diqnol
darkwolf220
braksgirl
Power of Pecota
Pain of Mind
tadashi
Dubious
tuckfard
MikeyKins
bbf2
chrix
*JuicedSixFo
Baldrash

*- Not signed up yet

WAIT LIST

cheese
Lock

RETIREES (pour one out)

SA Name TEAM NAME
3 DONG HORSE Mouth Breathing Retards
Metapod erotic smashmouth
pmchem chem's cylons
LINKS FOR THE LAZY:
http://games.espn.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=524484&seasonId=2018

HALL OF HONOR:
Season 1: J-City Rockstars [Joe Montana Division]
Season 2: bbf2, Plaxico's Hand gun Emporium [Dan Marino Division]
Season 3: bbf2, Stevie J's Hand gun Emporium [Dan Marino Division]
Season 4: JuicedSixFo, Zoltan Mesko [Dan Marino Division]
Season 5: Chrix, Naptown Sleepers [Bart Starr Division]
Season 6: Braksgirl(a.k.a Mrs. Burrito), Taco Tuesday [Dan Marino Division]
Season 7: Commish, Baller Status [Joe Namath Division]
Season 8: Double Discount Champ[Joe Montana Division]
Season 9: Seattle Fraisers [Joe Montana Division]

LEAGUE HISTORY:
Season 9 - The Final Sunday?
Season 8 - The Thing Still Exists?
Season 7 - What the gently caress is Wrong With Us?
Season 6 - Still Not as Tough as the SEC
Season 5 - The Only Place Dan Marino Gets a Ring
Season 4 - Bounty Programs Aint Crazy Y'all
Season 3 - More Nuts than CBA Arguments
Season 2 - Still loving Nuts
Season 1 - Let's Go Nuts

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Placeholder. Just in case ;)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Andrew Luck is throwing footballs and the Spinnin Freeneys are back for another year :c00l:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Back in.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
One of these years I'm winning the whole goddamn thing. :argh:

Glad to see one of my favorite leagues ever back!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Silly Burrito posted:

One of these years I'm winning the whole goddamn thing. :argh:

Glad to see one of my favorite leagues ever back!

If you want to know how it feels just ask your wife.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

jabro posted:

:drat:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

jabro posted:

Trust me, I see that goddamn trophy.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm back in. And for the record, winning feels real good.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

In for another championship.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

I'm back in. And for the record, winning feels real good.

How's that 2nd place ribbon treating you these days?

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

This seems far enough away to post for all the people who didn't read the OP (I know someone didn't). Scoring changes. Read them. Live them. LOVE them.

It is so nice to have the old gang back together :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

darkwolf220 posted:

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Dan, there's a reason why we get emails calling you Le Bafart, Le Baturd, Le Bajerk...
gently caress yeah, back to party again

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I will rejoin to replace the Dalvin Cook shaped hole in my heart team from last year. Is there any way to make PPR only apply to plays that gain yards? 90% of the reason I hate PPR is because someone will gain points for some -3 yard reception.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

I will rejoin to replace the Dalvin Cook shaped hole in my heart team from last year. Is there any way to make PPR only apply to plays that gain yards? 90% of the reason I hate PPR is because someone will gain points for some -3 yard reception.

There is no way to do that, but at .5 PPR, the impact of 1 or 2 catches for a loss is minimal. Besides, the idea is to reward the receiver for doing his job: catching the ball. Even if he did a good job in a lovely way :haw:

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Back in! This is pretty much the only fantasy football I do anymore. A ridiculous 20 team league with internet strangers for 10 years straight. What a time to be alive.

Thanks for all the work, darkwolf!

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

That’s a strange request! I haven’t seen any league capture a catch that way. Not sure it’s even possible.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

darkwolf220 posted:

There is no way to do that, but at .5 PPR, the impact of 1 or 2 catches for a loss is minimal. Besides, the idea is to reward the receiver for doing his job: catching the ball. Even if he did a good job in a lovely way :haw:

Hey, sometimes you have to heave a desperation pass to your RB in the backfield and the other team has correctly guessed your Tecmo Bowl play. :shrug:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Let’s do an auction draft this year! It’d be way more fun! And more fair, too.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

tuckfard posted:

Back in! This is pretty much the only fantasy football I do anymore. A ridiculous 20 team league with internet strangers for 10 years straight. What a time to be alive.

Thanks for all the work, darkwolf!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm back and will continue to be back as long as this thing keeps going.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
The Emporium will return

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

The Naptown Sleepers are in!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

darkwolf220 posted:

GOOD THANKS. IT'S FINE. I'M NOT BITTER AT ALL.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

pmchem posted:

Let’s do an auction draft this year! It’d be way more fun! And more fair, too.

Hahahahaa, no.

On the off chance you were being serious, an auction draft would take days. Ain't nobody got time for that.

e: Also, if someone knows how to get ahold of JuicedSixFo, he hates PMs so direct him this way.

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 5, 2018

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

Hahahahaa, no.

On the off chance you were being serious, an auction draft would take days. Ain't nobody got time for that.

You're commish, but just know, that statement is false. I do a 14-team auction league and the draft takes a bit over 3 hours. It'd take like 1 hour more, tops, for a 20-team league.

It would not be a problem to do a 20-team auction.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It is I! The soon to be champion again!

Not sure how I feel about the d/st changes. Harumph!!!!!

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 6, 2018

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I think I remember us discussing it last year, but are we actually going to change the schedule this year as it says in the OP?

quote:

LEAGUE SCHEDULING
I have yet to set up the schedules. I need to fill the league before I do
your schedule will look like this:
-8 division games
-3 conference games
-2 OoC games

As an example, I don't ever think I've ever played against Braksgirl in the 6-7 years we've been in the league together. I'm sure I haven't played some other people too. While it's probably a case of be careful for what you wish for, I wouldn't mind a more randomized schedule every year assuming it's easy to do so. I think ESPN allows you to randomize it, but I'm not sure if that would include the 8/3/2 divide above.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 6, 2018

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

pmchem posted:

You're commish, but just know, that statement is false. I do a 14-team auction league and the draft takes a bit over 3 hours. It'd take like 1 hour more, tops, for a 20-team league.

It would not be a problem to do a 20-team auction.

Its falsehood is noted then. That being said, that is a massive fundamental change with how the league works and I'd rather not.

Diqnol posted:

It is I! The soon to be champion again!

Not sure how I feel about the d/st changes. Harumph!!!!!

Welcome back. While the changes are different, they won't be quite as steep as they seem. Mostly it is going to help out the worst defenses by preventing them from going negative rather than adding much to the better defenses.

Silly Burrito posted:

I think I remember us discussing it last year, but are we actually going to change the schedule this year as it says in the OP?

As an example, I don't ever think I've ever played against Braksgirl in the 6-7 years we've been in the league together. I'm sure I haven't played some other people too. While it's probably a case of be careful for what you wish for, I wouldn't mind a more randomized schedule every year assuming it's easy to do so. I think ESPN allows you to randomize it, but I'm not sure if that would include the 8/3/2 divide above.

I think this setup is fine, I think the best way to add variety is to look at previous years and make sure the OOC games I schedule are different from previous ones. This means making a taxing task even harder on me, but I will try at least this year :suicide: I will also accept applications for divisional realignment if you and someone else want to swap divisions. Also, if you really want to get beat by your wife so bad, maybe you should win more during the regular season...

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

darkwolf220 posted:

I think this setup is fine, I think the best way to add variety is to look at previous years and make sure the OOC games I schedule are different from previous ones. This means making a taxing task even harder on me, but I will try at least this year :suicide: I will also accept applications for divisional realignment if you and someone else want to swap divisions. Also, if you really want to get beat by your wife so bad, maybe you should win more during the regular season...

Yeah, about that...

Don't think that I don't see right through your thin attempt to move me out of our division when I had the best regular season record last year in the whole league. I know your tricks, Darkwolf! :argh:

As if I don't hate Atlanta enough, I'm still pissed at them knocking out Alvin Kamara in the game last year. drat cheating dirty birds.

Being serious for a second though, you could probably use this schedule maker as a good starting point to help you out if ESPN doesn't have a native way to do it. It's got the same settings as our league does now (Each team plays divisional opponents twice, three other conference opponents, and two non-conference games). Swap out team order (but keep the same divisions) and you get new schedules.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 6, 2018

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Count me in for another year of starting scrubs and praying.

Changed my team’s name to Circling Wagons.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
im back in!

im going to win it all btw

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

Its falsehood is noted then. That being said, that is a massive fundamental change with how the league works and I'd rather not.

Yeah, it'd be a big change, but it'd be a really cool way to kick off the season! Auctions are crazy fun!

Let's maybe put it to a vote? If 5+ people object, we scrap the idea, but otherwise, try it? I remember in the thread at end of season last year there was some positive momentum, some people wanted to try it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I object. I'm in enough auction leagues.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

pmchem posted:

Yeah, it'd be a big change, but it'd be a really cool way to kick off the season! Auctions are crazy fun!

Let's maybe put it to a vote? If 5+ people object, we scrap the idea, but otherwise, try it? I remember in the thread at end of season last year there was some positive momentum, some people wanted to try it.

I don't think it was mentioned at all last season, at least, not in the last 3 pages of the thread from a quick look. Only talks of PPR, non-resetting waiver wire and a couple other minor tweaks. Changing to an auction format isn't a scoring tweak, it is a fundamental change to how the league works. Not everyone here has signed up for or wants to put the amount of effort into the complex (by comparison) auction process.

For those who need it blunt: I object.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
i object to auctioning, as much fun as it would be to bid $50 on bilal powell

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I want to have an auction in as many drafts as feasible as I agree that it is the fairest way, and even I think that a 20 team auction is nearly insane in the terms of time spent. If you spend even just 60 seconds on each player and we have 260 slots to fill (20 x 13), that's at least a four hour auction draft. And we aren't going to spend just 60 seconds on the first 50-100 major players.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I like auction drafts, but this league should just stick with what we have imho. I don't want to nominate the 3rd string CB that's going to get a lot of return yards and let anyone in on my insane sleeper (that i will end up cutting week 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Yeah, auction’s great for regular-sized leagues, but past a certain point everyone’s basically interchangeable. It doesn’t really matter if you spend $1 on the Colts WR4 or the Rams WR4.