Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

likelihood of it happening is some crazy equation with a lot of exclamation marks in it that I don't feel like calculating out but let's just say that as you shrink things the effect isn't noticeable until it very suddenly is a huge problem.

got me a new 5nm chip in my computer and 2+2 apparently equals “suck my cock jizz turd”

alert the masses, we’ve been doing math wrong all these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

atoms jiggle when hot. sometimes they jiggle just right to trade places with the atom next to them. when your transistor is half the size of what it used to be the atoms that make it work only have to trade places half as far before they are someplace where they are going to gently caress things up.

oh and wrapping the entire thing in insulation makes it worse because the atoms jiggle harder.

thanks to probability fuckery the actual increase in likelihood of it happening is some crazy equation with a lot of exclamation marks in it that I don't feel like calculating out but let's just say that as you shrink things the effect isn't noticeable until it very suddenly is a huge problem.

everybody loves jigglin

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
old chips best chips

I want a 68000-derived equivalent to today’s Intel Core i7

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
or like a 65816 but running at hundreds of MHz to put in my Apple IIgs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

why can’t one just apply cooling and run a CPU super fast, assuming other components can be made to keep up

what’s the physics behind needing a different implementation to hit higher clocks

or is it really just a matter of practicality and susceptibility to error?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

eschaton posted:

why can’t one just apply cooling and run a CPU super fast, assuming other components can be made to keep up

what’s the physics behind needing a different implementation to hit higher clocks

essentially, when a gate switches on or off, the output doesn't transition instantly - it takes a (small) amount of time to transition to the point that the next transistor in line will see the change, if that causes a flip then it takes a little longer for the next one to see it, and so on. the fixed clock rate essentially allows the signal to propagate all the way through before moving on to the next stage. if you make the clock rate too fast, the signal can't propagate fast enough, and your cpu ends up doing totally random stuff and giving you back total junk.

(this is why the p4 was such a piece of poo poo by the way - they designed it to have really fast clocks, which required making every stage really short so that the signal could go all the way through in time. but having lots of really short stages meant that if your branch predictor made a mistake, it had to throw away a ton of work and start over, instead of only having to throw away a little bit of work like in modern cpus)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Midjack posted:

use the turbo button judiciously.

funny, urmom said the same thing last night

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

you can dunk your cpu in liquid nitrogen and run it at its maximum rated frequency continuously. above that you end up with propagation delay issues as described in the post before this one.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there's some research into superconducting logic that's been going on, which has absurdly fast switching speeds due to superconductors having zero resistivity. When you're on supercomputer scale you can get computing power / power consumption savings even taking into account the energy needed to cool the circuit into superconducting state

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

speed of light is a bitch. same with discharging capacitors

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

stick a 68000 soft core in any modern fpga and you can prob clock that poo poo high

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
condense my posts and liquid cool your cpu with them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

stick a 68000 soft core in any modern fpga and you can prob clock that poo poo high

that’s what the Apollo Vampire accelerators for Amiga are

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"apollo vampire accelerator" is way too cool a name to be wasted on something as mundane as a faster processor for a dead computer system

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

once your core frequency passes a higher multiple of the bus than it was designed for then it is just going to spend those extra cycles blocked on data access.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

that’s why the accelerators generally have their own RAM

(they also usually include some modern I/O but that’s more for convenience)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

"apollo vampire accelerator" is way too cool a name to be wasted on something as mundane as a faster processor for a dead computer system

what on earth is the market for people who want to play modern digital video on an Amiga?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

what on earth is the market for people who want to play modern digital video on an Amiga?

Nerds

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dsyp

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

man the amiga fan base is so weird in that it just will not ever ever die

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

in 2099 they will still be trying to force a motherboard originally forged in early 1985 to interact with the holonet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Damnit, should have called this "Fab-gab: Chips 2HOT4TV (56k: :cry:)". Mods, plz do the needful.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

an Amiga is a Mac in a fursuit

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
glofo just threw in the towel on 7nm.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13277/globalfoundries-stops-all-7nm-development

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
are they really cutting another 5% in addition to the 5-10% that got let go a month or two ago

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

countdown until tsmc announces a delay

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

PyPy posted:

Classic cool.

drat I had one of those when I was a kid
they were apparently introduced literally the month I was born

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

are they really cutting another 5% in addition to the 5-10% that got let go a month or two ago

i hope glofo burns. they owe me $20k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Tokamak posted:

countdown until tsmc announces a delay

what i thought only intel was having any issues, don't stop now, pleasurekevin is almost there

• Locked thread