Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Squalid posted:

I tend to lean towards economic explanations for these kinds of social changes, but there's been several historical studies on this phenomena that suggest it may be driven in large part by culture change. That is to say homicide has become less socially acceptable over time. I can't remember the title of the work I read parts of but it was on the decline in homicide in Dutch/Flemish cities from the Renaissance to the early modern, and focused on the decline in the culture of knife duels.

Probably a combo of homicide becoming less acceptable, the state's capability to investigate homicides and enforce penalties for them increase, medical advances lead to assaults that would've been fatal becoming survivable, all of which combine to make homicides less common. Once it's less common, it becomes further less acceptable, the state's ability to investigate homicides increases, yadda yadda. There's several positive feedback loops in the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread