Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

504 posted:

Every thing is hosed, the environment is coming apart, more and more people believe the ridiculous poo poo we thought we dropped hundreds of years ago and the majority of people will actively resist painfully obvious good things if they are not thought up by "their" side in the political game.

Also no one seems to be aware the current 3/400 years of (more or less) general democracy is a flash in the pan of a normally poo poo human life cycle.

Everything in this post is true, but it's also true that this is the time in history where the average person almost anywhere on the planet is by far the best off as far as living conditions and access to medicine and just general wealth goes. The environment getting hosed is a really legitimate concern, however. I'm not an optimist in general at all, but most of the indicators are still looking positive for our species as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

Do you think we would be here today if the Dark Ages never happened and somehow we all got nukes a few hundred years ago, or if climate change started ramping up in the 1500s instead of now?

I don't. We're only here now because we did not have the capability of killing ourselves off in the past.

Do you seriously think we can go another 10,000 years without a nuclear war? 10,000 years is actually not a very long time in this regard either. Try 100,000 or 300,000 years.

I don't.

Just because we were lucky enough to make it through the last half-century without dying just shows that over time we will be unlucky.

Climate change won't be able to destroy us, just reduce our living area a lot. Nuclear warfare is a real issue, but it won't be forever. All these things are real problems, but they are also not permanent. Either we last through them, or we won't. All will be as it should be either way.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

Let's regroup in 10,000 years and I'll give you 20 bucks if I was wrong.

It's a deal.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, this is technically true, climate change will destroy a lot of us, and nuclear war indeed cannot happen more than once in rapid succession.

But I don't know if I would describe either of those positions as optimistic.

The first one is already a reality, there's nothing we can do to stop it at this point, just mitigate the damage. It's not an extinction level event however. Nuclear war could easily be, but there's no reason to believe that it would remain so for the next thousands of years.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure that "may not kill literally everyone immediately" is cause for optimism about the future either...

People die. It's going to be something either way. As long as we don't all die, I'm optimistic, because life is better now than it has ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Thus, humanity won't die out, but will instead limp along in a permanent lovely pre-industrial feudal state until the planet literally becomes incapable of sustaining human life in the far, far future.

Our planet has enough time in it before it becomes impossible for life to exist that the entire oil reserves of the planet we've used can replenish like five times over in that time, and what are currently fishes or whatever can evolve into land dwelling things with huge brains to repeat our mistakes. There's no way humanity will exist that long, but all this can definitely happen again no matter what we do to the planet.

In fact looking at the stats some more something on the complexity level of humans could evolve from bacteria existing currently while the planet is still habitable.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 14, 2018

• Locked thread