Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose you can argue that population control in ways other than "turn into a rich western country and have your population decline itself" is probably a complete nonstarter because the other ways introduce a shitload of direct problems and/or are just genocide.

But on an individual level I certainly think it is an objective good to just... not have kids, for shitloads of reasons but undeniably you are removing at least one whole human's worth of consumption from a future where consumption might actually be quite difficult to guarantee for a lot of people, and you're doing it without hurting anyone, so it's quite hard to object to.

It is certainly possible that the planet could host a lot more people but whether it can do so in the long term given the problems that human resource consumption is already causing... I genuinely don't know. So I would be hesitant to suggest that the planet can sustain as many people as we can put on it when human action can create delayed and potentially very serious problems for its habitability.

Actually, if you're the entirety of my wife's/my family, you're literally murdering that kid who could have grown up to be someone.

Why, yes, I do live in the south. How did you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Half of the population of the South in the US, maybe more.

• Locked thread