Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think evolution caused humans to have a natural instinct to kill other humans who are not part of their tribe. So whenever one tribe felt that they were strong enough to destroy another tribe they would wage war. War has been a constant throughout human history, and the only time there wasn't much war was during times like Pax Romana where the Roman Empire basically defeated all its enemies, so there was no one to wage war against.

I think we are in a very special time now where nuclear weapons have made it so those that possess them are scared of waging war against other nuclear powers, so WW2 might end up being the last major war for a long time.

As for humans naturally just being dicks to each other, that can be fixed either through education or natural selection. It was only within the last century that human economies have progressed to the point where everyone can get a good education. The healthy economies also allow natural selection to thin the population from anti-social humans.

So I'd say there is much optimism for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bet when the first humans landed on some remote tropical islands there were brief moments of a perfect society where there were no natural predators and there were lots of coconuts and tasty little animals like lobsters. Of course in due time the humans kept reproducing until the paradise could not support all the humans, at which point the society turned into a hellscape of war and cannibalism.

So basically at this point an optimist should look forward to when humans invent interstellar travel so you can steal a FTL spaceship and travel to some unknown paradise planet with the girl of your dreams by your side.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From a neurological perspective humans need to keep doing better and better things to remain happy, because they eventually get bored from whatever they are doing currently and need more. For example after Michael Phelps won 8 golds at the 2008 Olympics he said he got so depressed that he considered suicide, because normal life was nothing compared to the high he got at the Olympics.

So to make everyone happy the goal should be to make sure everyone's condition is improving, even if by a little bit.

• Locked thread