Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Buy a Brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Buy a Brother.

Additionally, look for -"CDW" as the model suffix, C=Color, D=Duplex, W=Wireless. I don't think any current gen wireless printers won't allow you to print from your phone.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Awesome, thanks! Is it going to worth keeping my purely black and white laser around the house? Haven't rocked a color laser before

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have the space you might want to keep a mono laser for everday printing and then use an ink tank colour inkjet for the prints you want. The per-page costs of small colour laser is really steep.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have the space you might want to keep a mono laser for everday printing and then use an ink tank colour inkjet for the prints you want. The per-page costs of small colour laser is really steep.
Unless you're running a professional print shop, only buy an inkjet if you hate yourself.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

Unless you're running a professional print shop, only buy an inkjet if you hate yourself.

Or you're getting a dedicated photo printer. That's about the only use I see for inkjets at this point.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have a feeling this is a niche need but am hoping someone has this information.

I am looking for a printer that can print 250 gsm paper, preferrably an ink tank type, does not need to be able to print larger than A4, double sided without manual feeding is a big plus.
I am going to use it to print magic the gathering proxies. Been using the high end printer at work so far and the results are good but obviously fake so no counterfeiting concerns.

I have tried googling but i am unfamiliar with the correct terminology to use and/or its such a niche need that there simply aren’t any good hits.
Have also looked at individual printer spec sheets but many doesn’t even list paper thickness or lists «cardstock»/similar (which is technically as thick as 800gsm but when then googling to confirm the thickness it turns out it can only print 120gsm). Or they list a bunch of «genuine» paper product names which is useless.

Is there a list/database of printers with this information or does someone happen to know of a few printers with this capability? Within home-use budget that is (so like $500?)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I have a feeling this is a niche need but am hoping someone has this information.

I am looking for a printer that can print 250 gsm paper, preferrably an ink tank type, does not need to be able to print larger than A4, double sided without manual feeding is a big plus.
I am going to use it to print magic the gathering proxies. Been using the high end printer at work so far and the results are good but obviously fake so no counterfeiting concerns.

I have tried googling but i am unfamiliar with the correct terminology to use and/or its such a niche need that there simply aren’t any good hits.
Have also looked at individual printer spec sheets but many doesn’t even list paper thickness or lists «cardstock»/similar (which is technically as thick as 800gsm but when then googling to confirm the thickness it turns out it can only print 120gsm). Or they list a bunch of «genuine» paper product names which is useless.

Is there a list/database of printers with this information or does someone happen to know of a few printers with this capability? Within home-use budget that is (so like $500?)

That's some thicc stock.

You're going to want to have a printer with as straight a paper path as you can. Off the bat, I would normally suggest Canon Image proGraf 1000, but that's gonna be 2-3x your budget.

There's a lower level Canon, the Pixma Pro-200 https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/pixma-pro-200?color=Black&type=New that looks like it should do the trick, but it's currently out of stock from reputable sources, and other not so reputable retailers are giving higher than $500 as the sale price.

In this case, I would actually say to avoid laser printers as the thickness of the stock you're looking to use will necessitate you slowing down the prints to make sure the toner melts properly to the paper, which in turn cuts down the life of the fuser. Hope this helps.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

All three of my last inkjets could handle 250 GSM just fine, but I had to look at the manual to confirm.
Also get those cheap card protectors from AliExpress, they're so much more convenient than capsulisation.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

Canon Image proGraf 1000

Pixma Pro-200

Both of these are available where i live. The prograf1000 is well beyond what i need though. The price is high but manageable, but i only need A4 and it can print as large as A2

In the official specs it states they can print 105gsm regular paper or up to 300 with Genuine Canon Premium Paper. Is this a thing or just marketing bs? The paper i will be using is regular (in terms of material and surface) just thick.
The home printer industry seem like such sociopaths it might as well be true for all i know, like some nano markings on the paper or something similar on the Genuine Canon Paper so the printer refuses to print if it is not there.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 18, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

Both of these are available where i live. The prograf1000 is well beyond what i need though. The price is high but manageable, but i only need A4 and it can print as large as A2

In the official specs it states they can print 105gsm regular paper or up to 300 with Genuine Canon Premium Paper. Is this a thing or just marketing bs? The paper i will be using is regular (in terms of material and surface) just thick.
The home printer industry seem like such sociopaths it might as well be true for all i know, like some nano markings on the paper or something similar on the Genuine Canon Paper so the printer refuses to print if it is not there.

Take this with a grain of salt, but in my experience with inkjet photo printers the paper used did make a big difference. Each of them did push the manufacturer's own paper, and did give good results on it, but they weren't the only game in town. It did require some trial and error to figure out which paper worked well with a given printer, and some of them definitely did not work well, but I eventually got it dialed in.

The caveat being this was dedicated photo paper and some years ago when I did a lot of digital darkroom stuff. And when I say "some years" I realize it was like loving 20 years ago. But I would imagine the base mechanics remain the same.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BTW, if you just want to half-rear end a proxy in the mean time, I had historically taken an Energy card (this was Pokémon; I guess you'd take a Land), laser print the proxy on regular copy paper, then put it and the land together in a sleeve.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Photo paper is a bit finicky but plain cardstock is not, I just have to remember to turn up the contrast and brightness a bit.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh, yeah, if you want color, that's a whole other thing. I was using store brand copy paper and a Brother (black-and-white) laser printer :v:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Btw here's some sample cards I printed for ttrpgs 250g cardstock.:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

By popular demand posted:

All three of my last inkjets could handle 250 GSM

It feels like this is mostly coincidence? The 2 home printers i have access to can not handle thick paper, and the gigantic, professional, printer at work can only handle it if i put paper in tray 1.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's also dependent on the amount of sheets you load at once, I cant load more than a dozen or two of cardstock.
In any case, make sure to download and check the manual.

Also: 150 gsm is decent and you can fold and glue if you need a stiffer card.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions on other methods. I am not just printing a couple though, so they need to be ready to go without further modification after i have cut them apart.

My only real requirement is the printer being able to print 250gsm, with a high preference on an inktank printer (impression being that that is cheaper, though could just be marketing)

These 3 are interesting:
Canon Pixma 200 (not inktank, 300gsm, can print photo, currently has a cashback making it ~20% cheaper)
Epson Ecotank 8850 (inktank, 300gsm, a bit more expensive than i was hoping, can print photo)
Epson Ecotank 4850 (inktank, 250gsm, not sure how good at photo)

Photography is my other hobby and i have been curious about printing photos at home for like a decade. Thinking of going for a printer that can do that too (and do it well) now that i have the opportunity to do so.

I have used budget Epson home printers in the past (e.g. XP-2200) and they have been frustrating to use. They install like 6 different software in your computer and regularly are unable to connect to (with a cable even, not wireless)

Are the slightly more higher end Epsons easier to use?
How does Epson compare to Canon user friendlyness?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Absolutely get an inktank, those tiny ink carts run out quick and non official ink can eventually ruin the printer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you print a lot, the main drawback of inktank printers also mostly disappears, in that the nozzles won't have time to clog if you constantly have ink running through them.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks for the suggestions on other methods. I am not just printing a couple though, so they need to be ready to go without further modification after i have cut them apart.

My only real requirement is the printer being able to print 250gsm, with a high preference on an inktank printer (impression being that that is cheaper, though could just be marketing)

These 3 are interesting:
Canon Pixma 200 (not inktank, 300gsm, can print photo, currently has a cashback making it ~20% cheaper)
Epson Ecotank 8850 (inktank, 300gsm, a bit more expensive than i was hoping, can print photo)
Epson Ecotank 4850 (inktank, 250gsm, not sure how good at photo)

Photography is my other hobby and i have been curious about printing photos at home for like a decade. Thinking of going for a printer that can do that too (and do it well) now that i have the opportunity to do so.

I have used budget Epson home printers in the past (e.g. XP-2200) and they have been frustrating to use. They install like 6 different software in your computer and regularly are unable to connect to (with a cable even, not wireless)

Are the slightly more higher end Epsons easier to use?
How does Epson compare to Canon user friendlyness?

I would suggest the eco tank as well, if only for the economy. They sell almost all home and small business printers at a loss, and make it up on the consumables.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Friday problems. First, an offline printer is because the comms room its wallport is wired into is flooded which I can deal with as, well, it's not my issue to deal with. Secondly, we're migrating the entire site from an older follow-you print solution to a newer one, we started nearly two hours late and have now run into problems which were not apparent in the minimal test environment we had access to

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Update: we binned the migration as absolutely nothing worked. When I heard the phrase "maybe it's a DNS issue" I internally screamed, then chuckled and peaced out

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Update: we binned the migration as absolutely nothing worked. When I heard the phrase "maybe it's a DNS issue" I internally screamed, then chuckled and peaced out

In the past I have been involved with 20-30 of these and only once did everything work properly the first time. And that was because they tested it in advance on multiple machines before it was deployed.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The test environment we were allowed to have was "one machine that no-one uses"

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
This seems to be the closest thread I can find to the problem I have.

My coworker bought a 3d printer with 2 options for data transfer.
1. Wifi
2. Micro SD

The first is a problem because the company aggressively sniffs out rogue wifi networks and won't allow us to put this device on the main IT network.
The second is a problem is the huge pain in the rear end it is to transfer a file from your PC to an SD card then bring it to the printer.

What we want is to be able to plug our laptop into the micro SD port on the printer using a USB cable.

Something like This

but with USB on the other end.

has anyone seen a cable like this before?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://badgerd.nl/sdwirec/

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

I love this dead forum

thanks!

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

The test environment we were allowed to have was "one machine that no-one uses"

Drive-by posting just to say I appreciate your stories. I escaped Xerox in May 2021 (went from printer tech to network security engineer) but I still intimately know the models and issues you throw out. Kinda surprised to see WC59xx's being replaced, in my experience those things were far better than the 58s, kind of a hybrid stepping stone between the 58s and the Altalinks.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I don't mind the WC59xxs, they were a massive step up from the shitboxes that were WC57xxs, a machine so terrible that I get PTSD from working on those but thankfully those are exceptionally end of life (and also one was forever stationed outside of David Boreanz's character's office in Bones, but I digress). We just replaced our fleet of WC59xxs with Versalink B71xxs, and our remaining WC6655s and any phasers are due to be replaced with final model Versalink C410s but apparently they absolutely loving suck and are still being tested for deployment into the client's environment.

And in said client news, one of my printers went offline, so I did some testing and it wasn't the device, so handed a job over to networks to see if some VLAN or switch or firewall voodoo had taken it out. Instead, I was told that the comms room the switch sat in had flooded and fried the switch, hence why it was offline. This is a multi-billion pound company that deals with all of its IT on vibes, goodwill and hope

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 25, 2024

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

I don't mind the WC59xxs, they were a massive step up from the shitboxes that were WC57xxs, a machine so terrible that I get PTSD from working on those but thankfully those are exceptionally end of life (and also one was forever stationed outside of David Boreanz's character's office in Bones, but I digress). We just replaced our fleet of WC59xxs with Versalink B71xxs, and our remaining WC6655s and any phasers are due to be replaced with final model Versalink C410s but apparently they absolutely loving suck and are still being tested for deployment into the client's environment.

And in said client news, one of my printers went offline, so I did some testing and it wasn't the device, so handed a job over to networks to see if some VLAN or switch or firewall voodoo had taken it out. Instead, I was told that the comms room the switch sat in had flooded and fried the switch, hence why it was offline. This is a multi-billion pound company that deals with all of its IT on vibes, goodwill and hope

I had a 57xx run 3.5 million before it finally croaked. Had to replace the fuser webbing at one point, only time I ever had to touch that. Replaced it with an Altalink B8055 and never looked back.

When I left there were a multitude of Versalink C405's that would somehow corrupt the EEPROM chip, which wasn't spared, so it was an automatic device replacement. I loved the Altalinks, but I'm very glad I got out once the Phasers were replaced with the Versalinks, even though I got really good at replacing that notorious feed clutch they simply seemed less reliable.

I watched the majority of Bones (think I fell off 2 seasons before it ended) and I literally never noticed that 57xx, lol.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think the Versalink bricking the EEPROM was solved by a firmware issue iirc. The last B80xx issue I had was a faulty document handler, and the replacement I was sent had most of the cabling missing, so I had to canibalize the harnesses from the faulty one, and then the same machine wore out the fuser gear six months later. Shame as it was in an office on the harbour docks near home, so I could watch the ferries come in and out while working on it

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm trying to help out a friend who is tired of having to go out to send faxes all the time (she has to deal with certain services that require them, not a high volume but on a regular basis).

She probably wants something that can scan & fax. Ideally the fax function would be on the printer/scanner itself; she's not the type to use an app to send a scan, and might distrust online faxing services. She does have a landline that isn't used often for the phone, and could likely plug it in as needed to send, and maybe receive.

Currently she has a laser printer (Brother HL-L2350DW) so I'm guessing something that at least has those capabilities. What I don't know is how easy to use the fax functions are on all-in-ones. Does anyone have experience with them, and maybe which brands have the simplest interface for fax? I'm not going to be around to help out generally for it as I don't see her all that often. She's the sort who will have little trouble following a sequence of operations, even if it's complex, but will be lost as soon as something goes wrong.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is an internet fax service unacceptable? Must it be sent or received via an at-home land-line?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

nielsm posted:

Is an internet fax service unacceptable? Must it be sent or received via an at-home land-line?

Not completely out of the question, but she needs a scanner anyway (she doesn't want to try and use her phone and I don't think it'd be a good idea for her). When I suggested using a scanner and an internet faxing service, she didn't seem to like the idea.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Kangra posted:

Not completely out of the question, but she needs a scanner anyway (she doesn't want to try and use her phone and I don't think it'd be a good idea for her). When I suggested using a scanner and an internet faxing service, she didn't seem to like the idea.

Have her look at a Brother MFC-L2750dw, it uses the same consumables as what she has (TN760/DR730) and there's very little a lower amount of things that can go wrong.
Just make sure she gets something with an MFC- prefix if she does go Brother, the DCP- line might not have an ADF and scan/fax jobs start to really suck after 3-4 pages.

I would have her stay away from HP AIOs inkjets, only because those won't let you scan or fax if an ink cartridge needs to be replaced. I think other inkjet machines aren't as hatefully designed, but it's been a bit.

Edit: as for ease of use, you plug in the phone jack, press the fax button to turn on fax mode, and dial away.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Shout out to the guy in an office whose 6655 has been in a rebooting loop since 8am this morning not doing anything about it until I wandered down before leaving to tell me that, yes, it was definitely in a bootloop

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Howdy, my Mom is finally starting to realize the futility of inkjets after years of using her current printer (some Canon pixma MFP she got without consulting me). She's looking for another MFP and I'm trying to edge her into laser but she threw the curveball that she still wants color and she does tend to print enough of it for print shops to be not really ideal for her use case. In fact I did try to convince her to go that route but she's not having it.

At the moment I've been looking at these two:

Brother MFC-L3765CDW - $390 from Costco

Canon Color imageCLASS MF753Cdw - ~450 from Amazon

She does actually use the scan and copy features so it does have to be a MFP. Any other similar suggestions would be welcome, from my side, something reliable would be nice because I'm the one that will be computer janitoring the drat thing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Brother is probably fine.
One of the risks with color laser printers is that the paper path tends to be much more complicated than in a monochrome one, so there are more places the paper can jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The cartridges are drat expensive though.