Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Oyster posted:

Yeah the solid ink models were pretty batshit. They also expected customers to basically service the machines themselves, scanners etc were all "customer replaceable units". All of those are now legacy, and good riddance. The 3635 is slightly less old (about 7 years) but also pretty solid and dependable as long as the fuser doesn't overheat.

The newer stuff like the 6655 is pretty great. I'm not yet sold on the newest desktops, the Versalinks, but I'm reserving judgment until I see them in action for a couple more months.

I work for Xerox as a field engineer, and the Versalinks/Altalinks are just old engines with a tablet interface - the VLC405 is basically a 6655 with new covers, every part inside is indentical in terms of replacement. Also, the firmware and interface on them is beyond loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oyster posted:

I am too and the C405 ROS assembly can eat poo poo harder than the web interface.

The C8035-70's are my homies though, once you get them not-lovely software. I've only seen one with the significant toner contamination problem that plagued the 78's for a bit.

man, I've got replacing the ROS on one of those down to a fine art, if you ignore everything it says about removing the main drive because gently caress removing the main drive on one of those. I can probably have one of those replaced and back up and running in an hour if I'm in the mood, an hour and a half if it's the end of the day and I want to get home. And toner contamination on a 78xx you say?

That was fun!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oyster posted:

Yep, that's a common thing where I'm from. I'm the only one in my area that's had to do the C405 ROS though - I kinda figured it'd be possible without removing the main drive once I got it put back together but didn't put any tinkering into actually trying. Good to know!

Basically follow the manual for removing the bypass frame up to removing the main drive, then remove the two screws that attach the drive to the frame which are closest to where the bypass frame sits. Flex it towards you by 1cm or so and that should provide enough give to get the bypass frame out, then when once you've put the bypass frame back in, whack the drive flush against frame. Interestingly enough, the 6655 manual does the "flex rather than remove" manual procedure, the 6600/6605 and the 400/405s insist on removing the drive

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

We're running a big "if the plastic bits on the bypass frame break, send them to us" drive over here because I think they're going to try and cut in some new, stiffer plastic for those arms. But yeah, if you can take the dispense assembly out on a 6600, you can take it out on a 6605, a 6605 a vlc400 or vlc405. And you will do if some cheapskate has used knock off toner in it....

Peachfart posted:

That is amazing, I am/was(it is complicated) a lead senior tech for a photocopier company. I didn't realize there were so many of us on SA. I work for an OEM but it isn't Xerox.

apparently, I'm the first level engineer for my team for absolutely everything. My boss wants me to be an APS for the A3 machines but I'm all "unless you give me a significant raise, no way"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I've outed myself as a Xerox engineer but out of all of our kit out there I work on, the only machines I've had no real mechanical problems on are the 712x, 722x and 53xx machines they tend to have electronics that fall over on the reg but the motors, clutches & drives just seem to go forever. I've currently kicked a Versalink C7025 which is new on the market up to national tech support because for reasons I cannot fathom it's skewing out of the second tray and second tray only, despite all of the motors and gears being fine, and the feeders and rolls being replaced. I think it's an internal setting to do with the torque being applied when it pulls the paper through but gently caress going through the thousands of internal settings to figure out which one it is.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Have you tried different sizes/orientations of paper? The color mid speed models we released recently have an issue with feed on DLT, has to do with a lack of support on the non-feed side, lets the paper wiggle back and worth and causes skewing and wrinkles.

yup, tried the same ream of paper, landscape and portrait in all four trays and tray 2 was the only one that was jamming. Tried a fresh ream from a different box and that jammed from tray 2 only so it's been escalated for someone else to have a crack at

edit: wait, the only thing I didn't change was the tray itself. Maybe the lifting plate was warped and that was causing the clash as it fed. gently caress sake

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 19, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I replaced the feedhead and takeaway roll, and I think that for whatever reason the motor's supply too much torque on tray 2 and only tray 2 that it's causing the paper to smash on the way out, as the paper from trays 3 & 4 has to feed out from the same path and goes through fine. I mean, it's not as bad as a 58xx which was jamming from the far tray of a tandem tray unit, and by jamming I mean a random dog ear from a particular paper type and from a particular tray and replacing every single piece that the paper could touch on the way through to the finisher didn't get rid of it. The paper type would print fine from trays 1,2,43, the bypass and tray 6, but the second it was loaded in tray 3 (which I think has the furthest to travel on those machines) it would randomly dog-ear then misstack in the finisher. After four visits (including an aborted visit where my overnight from the Netherlands order of parts turned out to be a ripped and therefore empty plastic bag that was supposed to contain a bearing), me and the national training guy just agreed to bin the thing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Heh, had that happen a few times when I escalate the call to engineering and they decide it isn't worth the effort. Like the production machine that would blow a board whenever you closed a particular tray. After replacing that board 5-6 times, the national guy just decided to replace the machine as that would cost less than continuing the troubleshooting.

turns out my tray two smasher was caused by a loose screw in the left hand door for the three tray module because of course it loving was

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

We sell like 20 varieties of Papercut, Equitrac, Autostore, etc, they are all pretty much the same in the end. The hardest part is getting the customer to pay for it, followed closely by most customers having garbage slow networks and IT infrastructure making deployment and operation a pain.

the mere mention of Equitrac makes me feel queasy. Can't wait until I'm in office tomorrow and I have to relink user swipe cards and their pin numbers because the customer's network is poo poo and loses the sync between them

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I've not been at work today, so when I turned my phone on I got a barrage of text messages from an unknown number asking if I'd look at their 7535 I'd looked at at some point earlier this year. They started out friendly enough, but the last one basically said "WELL WHAT WAS THE POINT OF GIVING ME YOUR NUMBER IF YOU WEREN'T GOING TO HELP?" I love my job

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Never give your number to customers. I took it off my business card 8 years ago and I still get random phone calls.

I did tell him that if he called me, the chances are between unlikely and zero that I'd be able to do anything without charging an exorbitant call out fee (I think he's based about 80 miles from where I live), but he's left me alone for the last two days so hopefully he's got the message

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Tomorrow, I have my favourite kind of job. From the notes I've been given: "User replaced toner, didn't fit, attempted to remove, end of toner stuck in device and now toner spilled within device". I swear to loving jesus some people should just not go near machinery

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oyster posted:

Those caps come off waaayyyy too easy.

I'm lucky to have an office on site I can bring big jobs to and rip machines apart without pressure from the customer. Currently doing a C405 registration assembly, because no other tech wants to touch that and I get an office.

We don't even touch those reg assemblies, if one breaks we put it in for an exchange as I'm not a direct Xerox employee and we get paid a flat fee per job and it's not cost effective to spend however long it takes to pull one of those out and put it back in again. But the caps on the C80xx/75xx/78xx/79xx toners? I think I've seen a few break off, and it can be done (lord knows I've done it myself) but you have to really try and force it to break it off when inserting one. But my earliest "JUST RAM THE loving THING IN" was this old 7232 which had the toner and developer tanks in a rotorary drum assembly and...

loving lawyers

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Murder all end-users.

It wasn't as bad as I've seen. The toner was indeed sent with the cap not attached right, and the end user tried to put it back on and then insert the toner, but because the cap wasn't on just right, it just got stuck. A very small spill which needed five minutes to clean up, and an incredibly fiddly attempt to extract the cap which was at the extreme back of the machine

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

In a "learn something new every day" thing, had a job where the output was blurry, but only because the yellow part of the image was mis-registered. Ran the colour registration adjustment, still out of alignment; reset the internal settings, ran the adjustment, still out of alignment. Turns out that if the sensor that reads the density of the toner patches ran on start up is slightly dirty, it'll gently caress that up so after blowing the sensor out with some air duster, ran the registration adjustment and lo, all the colours look good and proper

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Llab posted:

Oh hey, I work at a printer/copier dealer. I only install the darn things, not service them, but it's good to see a bunch of people in the same line of work.

All this week I've been dealing with a big defense contractor who's had their fleet refreshed, and by refreshed I mean the riggers have literally unpacked the machines and left them there, leaving me to go in and configure the bastards. And by configure, I put an IP address on, call someone, confirm they can see it and moonwalk out while ignoring all the end-users asking me to make it work. Sorry kids, that ain't my job

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Llab posted:

I can't even fathom that. I've heard stories, but it floors me that people just do that. I hate the drat things as much as anyone, but for bigger installs, I nominally have a bunch of people above me work out what needs to be done to configure the drat things once on site.

the customer I'm running around for is a massive defense contractor, with multiple different network set-ups on each base and they're sending the machines out with a default setting that just isn't working, so all we're doing is basically a factory reset, inputting the IP settings and letting out tech guys do the config at their end. But so far I've had: one that had been literally dumped in an office and the delivery guys hadn't switched on, nor taken off a plastic bumper which allowed the horizontal transport to sit right which naturally caused a jam; one where the IP board had failed and nuked the document handler connection, but during the fix I replaced the document handler with a new one which had had the document handler's exit pinch rolls removed (!!!!!!); one where I had two addresses 100 miles apart as to where it could be but it turned out that it was in a third; one where no-one knew where the gently caress it was and my last one was a non-networked, only to be used on a standalone PC via a USB cable with it's USB ports disabled. I feel like a loving idiot every time I go to one

Oyster posted:

Was this on a 75/78/79/C80xx? Cause by howdy is that a common problem where I'm from. It's not always the MOB sensor but that's a good place to start.

twas on a 7220 on a building site, and the yellow image was offset, and the offset adjustment was coming up as "notOK" and an NVM reset and adjustment did the same. I was about to escalate it up when I figured I'd remove the sensor, clean it and then do the offset on a whim and it worked like a charm

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

All solid ink ColorQube machines must die. That is all

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Wax-type inks are a dumb nightmare and I'm glad my company only tried making one machine then dumped the entire idea.

We're currently dealing with a big ColorQube 93xx that for reasons we can't fathom keeps dumping a deposit of wax on the cleaning unit. The printheads are fine, the drum is fine, the abatement plenum and IOD shield are all clean, we've installed new cleaning units, new transfix stripper blades and after a few hours this build up will just start appearing and we have no clue why. We suspect it's something to do with one of the boards that sends the control signals to the cleaning unit as that's a self contained unit with all it's own motors and drives and such, but it's a head scratcher

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I've seen things like that on an 8880 with a dirty thermistor sensor.

its with my APS so he can deal with it and then tell me what was wrong with it when he gets it working

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I'll just chip in with: don't ever expect your sub 1000 printer to print on anything other than plain paper to a high degree of quality for any length of time. It's going to be less than 1000 for a reason

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Feed rollers will be the first to go, but if you set the paper type and weight on the printer, the application and the driver to the same stock you're using, you'll get more life from it. Some of the issues I have are people using a heavy cardstock and leaving the paper type as plan or light card and the image quality blows and the rollers start to wear out

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Lease a small color MFP from a dealer, and if you are going to run that heavy stock make absolutely certain you set the media weight correctly. Modern printers use lower temperatures for energy efficiency and the trade off for this is that if you don't set the proper media weight it will not fuse correctly and/or destroy the fuser.

please please please do this. If it doesn't murder kill the fuser, you'll get ghosting and repeating defects that you will never get rid of until you set the weight right and run some prints through. Also, even though their expensive, use the proper toners/drums/etc. Even before I started working for Xerox, I worked in an office where we had a Canon printer and on a week off someone ordered some drums for it, and on the Monday I spent most of the morning cleaning it up because the toner had gone everywhere because the drums they'd ordered were knock-offs

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

I am looking for a printer with the following qualities:

Color
Duplex printing
decent print speed
print 2000+ pages a year

Price: I am okay with spending more upfront if it means lower per page costs. Ideally, $300 for the printer but I can go up to $500, if it's really good.

Any recommendations?

I'd say a Versalink C400, which costs $400, but a set of toner cartridges which last for 2,500 pages costs close to $500 per set

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

We standardized on the C600 as the workgroup printer before we said gently caress it and started pushing everyone to Follow Me/Streamline on the big managed MFDs. In the year they were in the environment (before I stopped being a printer toucher) I never had to do anything but reset paper tray settings. Compared to ColorQubes, that makes them rock solid reliable. The C400s should be similar.

I heard a story about a Xerox account manager who sold a ColorQube to the Royal Navy for use on an ocean going vessel. When it got back to port, they raised a call because it wasn't printing, mainly because they'd been doing some rough weather testing and the machine's innards were absolutely coated in wax

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Are the rollers accessible enough that you can get in and give them a quick clean with a damp cloth or some sort of alcohol wipe? If it's an intermittent jam sounds like part of a roller somewhere has smoothed out and doesn't provide the grip to get the paper through. Either that or there's a dirty sensor in the paper path somewhere

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

loving hell, that's brilliant.

And apparently very true. In other news, I wrecked the mylar in a registration chute on a SPDH, took one look at the replacement procedure and noped out of trying it on site, so took it home to have a go at disassembling it instead

Not as much as a ballache as I feared tbh, but having enough room on a customer site to remove it and then take it apart would probably be difficult

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

As the resident Xerox engineer (I think) my recommendation is always to not buy Xerox

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Today I finally made it out to an army base where the only details I was given were "it needs a USB stick" and the details I'm given are it's a black and white machine. I get to where I'm told it is an find a colour machine, so get a bit confused, but everyone tells me that, no, that's really the black and white machine. So I pull down the front cover and yeah, it's a black and white box but why does it have a badge saying it's colour? And why has it already run out of courtesy prints? And why is it running on courtesy prints? And why is it asking for a USB Initialisation kit?

So after asking around, I find the USB installation stick and after about half an hour of wondering why this stick hasn't worked, I try something far too obvious and look for the part number for the stick in the colour manual for the badge the box has been identified as and LO AND BEHOLD, it is! So at some point during manufacture, testing, packing, dispatch and installation, no-one noticed that this machine was dispatched with the incorrect installation script key (though the right speed and paper size) except me? Long story short, I've somehow extended the courtesy print count to over a million though I'm not sure how, and I'm not entirely sure if the machine will stay upright for more than a day so I'm going back to throw this at our second level tech support team. And that was the first call of the day!

The second was the third time this week I've gone in after another engineer where they've just done the bare minimum and left the machine as is and not tested it, so for the second time in 24 hours I sent my boss a write-up of how crappy a job this engineer had done. The third job was even funnier, as I went to an over used machine whose SD card (which contains the firmware boot-up kernel) had died, but the last two engineers who'd been in in the last two months had not left a configuration sheet which would tell me helpful things like the machine's IP address, host name, etc. and the only sheet it had been left had been printed out four years ago. And of course, those two engineers had both gainfully ignored the maintenance items inside which needed to be replaced a long time ago and just left them for me to fix.

I need a loving drink

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Charles posted:

What are courtesy prints? Sorry just curious :-P

Basically a set number of pages a printer will spew out before you have to either get a supplies contract or buy your own toner

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Over the weekend I will be disassembling this piece of poo poo

There's an assembly inside which has taken on legendary status amongst engineers, in terms of how long it takes to remove and replace. So on Saturday providing I don't get any overtime, I'm basically going to strip this thing down completely, take said assembly out, put it back in again and see if it still prints when all is said and done and also to see how long it takes (rough estimate was six hours from one other engineer)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Trip update: after seven-ish hours, and almost nearly finishing replacing the reg, I realised that I'd not put the top cover assembly on correctly, so beat a hasty retreat. Came back, pulled the scanner off, reseated that top cover properly, put everything back and... it worked? So yeah, probably about seven hours on the first crack but not exactly fun, not exactly something I'm going to be able to do on the reg in some of the offices where these machines are usually kept as well so we'll just keep scrapping them at least until the kit that fixes the gear snap issue is proved to work right

And did someone mention "swingplate assembly" on HP 40xx? I still haven't managed to remove one of those without wrecking one of the screws

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Yay! Last week went to the tenth or so Versalink C70xx with a horrendous grinding noise and empty toner fault I've had to deal with in the last year, crystallising my own hypothesis that there is either a batch of machines out in the field with badly built toner dispense models or there's a deeper flaw to the entire line. Anyway, went to order the assembly and was told that I'd either have it on the 10th (I was called on the 6th) or 24th February as there is no stock anywhere. It doesn't turn up on the 10th, I go back on the 11th, try and clean out the old assembly and it still makes the same horrendous noise and as no part is going to be forthcoming for a fortnight at least, we agree to exchange the machine. Customer agrees to this, but I explain that once this happens, it's absolutely out of our hands and it will take at least ten working days for the request to be processed and a new machine to be delivered. Two days later, he texts me asking how long it will be and I reiterate the previous commitment about two weeks. He asks for my managers number. To make things even better, I've now been told that the part is due to be delivered tomorrow. and so of course I now have even more poo poo to deal with

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Well I'm currently furloughed as Xerox's functional printing estate has shrunk to about 0.1% of what it was due to the pandemic so if anyone has a Xerox machine that should be playing up, hit me up in here or in PMs and I'll either give you a solution to try and fix it or give you the exact script you need to give our new call centre (because the normal one is closed) to definitely get an engineer out

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a current recommendation / consensus for a reliable all-in-one printer/scanner/copier? Or a "best available" given the current ~*all this*~ ?

as one of the resident Xerox engineers, never Xerox unless you have a warranty/service plan (though they are cheap)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

So that Samsung printer that I "fixed" a while ago. Seems like it's not really fully fixed.

Every couple of pages I'm still getting this horizontal yellow (and sometimes black) strip. If printing more than a few pages at at time, there are also some ghosting of the previous page. It's a bit difficult to see on the scan but it's definitely there in the bottom part of the page.

This might be just down to how the paper was fed in but the page is also slightly misaligned. The url at the top goes right up to the top of the page instead of having the normal margin.

Is the drum hosed? Cleaning it according to the instructions didn't do anything. Hopefully I didn't break it when fixing the toner issue lol.

I used a Pi Zero W which feels about right for the job. No issues with performance.

Maybe they're using an iphone and can't copy/paste

Two things: Does it have a fuser and is it hosed, and are you setting the right paper type for the actual paper you're printing on? I had a job where a user was printing on a letterhead, and the pre-printed letterhead was melting onto the fuser and ghosting onto the rest of the page, so I had to set to a different paper type to turn the fuser's temperature down to not melt the letterhead. If the fuser's fine, and the drum's fine, it could be lovely toner

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Eh yeah I it has a fuser, I'm not sure how it would work otherwise. How can I tell if it's hosed, of if it's the drum? It could be lovely toner (I got aftermarket poo poo and had to clean the cartridges myself) but that's what I'm hoping to narrow down.

I'm printing or regular plain, 80g/m A4. That's also the default setting, although if I change anything, the w10 print dialog resets it because of "setting conflicts". To eliminate this I just printed a test image from a USB disk with the same results, more or less.

if you can pop the fuser out, just check that the heat rolls inside aren't damaged. If they're okay with no obvious nicks or tears, I'd probably lean towards the drum. The ghosting is probably some residual off-brand toner that's still in the drum, which should go away after a number of prints with proper toner

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I was today years old when I found out that the phaser 6700 has an interlock switch which cuts power to the laser, which is no big deal. However, this interlock is activated by the rear plastic cover being removed, which absolutely confused the gently caress out of me as I was looking to replace a HVPS and possibly the MCU board and wanted to keep the rear cover off to save some time

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

In honour of my last day as a field engineer before I embark on a higher paid desk-based role as a co-ordinating supervisor for a big account, I present: Copier In Room With Threatening Shelving Aura

Surprisingly, there was enough room in the hidey hole to detach the professional finisher and allow me to remove the parts - finisher PWB, compiler exit sensor, booklet in sensor and booklet gate solenoid - and not hit either the shelves or the out of shot bucket of stale water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

...how many times have those brackets on the left pulled out of the wall

Also I hate Sharp devices, total dogshit

I didn't ask, but the first time I went there I took one look and thought "if I turn around, everything will come falling down" but as I said, there somehow was enough room in there that didn't seem to exist at first glance. And I had nothing to do with the Sharp, just my belligerent Xerox box