Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Anyone got any experience with the Canon PIXMA iX6850? It's the cheapest option I have for a good quality A3 printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Been a while since I needed a printer so what's the consensus on ink tank printers?
I'd probably only use it once a week.

also are all manufacturers about as bad or has one been particularly bad?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My new printer arrived (Cannon G540 inktank) installation was simple and it works like a dream, no calibration needed.
this of course fills me with trepidation for how it will fail me in the future just as I become entirely reliant.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I still remember a dumb commercial they had in the 90's where a small child kept pronouncing it Lecksh-mark.

Don't choose a printer based on the amount of name mispronunciations in the advertisement, you'll only be disappointed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All Printer Companies Are Bastards?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Dunno, I recently got a Canon inktank and it's amazing so far.
I'm sure a proper laser printer would last longer but I Got a three year warranty and I intend to print my money's worth well by then.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Another nice edge for the inktanks, no more relying on bullshit software estimates of remaining ink.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So far the only problem is my stupid idiot brain, and these forums are to blame for that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Man I'm sick of these A3 stories I want to hear about working with those full sized A0 printer/plotters.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All three of my last inkjets could handle 250 GSM just fine, but I had to look at the manual to confirm.
Also get those cheap card protectors from AliExpress, they're so much more convenient than capsulisation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Photo paper is a bit finicky but plain cardstock is not, I just have to remember to turn up the contrast and brightness a bit.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Btw here's some sample cards I printed for ttrpgs 250g cardstock.:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's also dependent on the amount of sheets you load at once, I cant load more than a dozen or two of cardstock.
In any case, make sure to download and check the manual.

Also: 150 gsm is decent and you can fold and glue if you need a stiffer card.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Absolutely get an inktank, those tiny ink carts run out quick and non official ink can eventually ruin the printer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The cartridges are drat expensive though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

slidebite posted:

How does the Brother nomenclature work for models? Like MFC-L, HL-L?

Yeah, but they last a long time, and their customer service is actually pretty good IMHO.

When I WFH during Covid, my company bought me cartridges for my brother color laser. Didn't install one of them for a couple of years and it started puking tonor/color/filler whatever is inside them when I eventually did.

Too long had past for us to do a return to Staples but I called brother, gave them the serial #, explained the problem, and they sent me a new cartridge prepaid to my door and just told me to throw away the old one.

Just for comparison my Canon G540 is estimated to go up to 3,700 pages of B/W documents or 8,000 pages of color documents or 3,800 4"" x 6"" (10x15cm) colour photos on a set of
6* $21 bottles

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I just calculated that every photo quality color page costs me about 0.125$ for the ink alone which isn't cheap but gently caress that suggested HP program of $6.99/20pg per month.
E: unless photo paper is included, I didn't check.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Obviously the thing to do is organize a neighborhood cooperative and take advantage of the 700pg for 36$, assuming that's still for photo printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

3rd party ink is only for the cheap second hand inkjet your aunt didn't need.