Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Peachfart posted:

Lots of IT guys bemoan how terrible printers are when in most cases they are just set up incorrectly.

Hey let's be fair, it can be both. It's probably a terrible printer set up incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I have an ancient Laserjet CP1215 that has some color alignment issues. Black prints perfectly fine but the rest are off with cyan being way off. I've got a XP VM running the HP Toolbox to run the automatic calibrations, which did nothing, then I did a factory reset on the printer and ran three more calibration cycles, which did nothing, and I've replaced the cyan and magenta cartridges with genuine HP cartridges just in case.

Anyone know if there's anything I can do to fix it?

Here's the main calibration page:

And the supplies page. I've since replaced the magenta cartridge but it's still showing the same alignment issues.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

tribbledirigible posted:

This is going to sound so dumb, but replace the K toner cart as well. Near end of life toners sometimes cause weird signal issues. I can't give the actual why, I've just seen it happen or someone I was on a call with/ chat say it worked.

Not a dumb idea at all, but I gave it a shot and no dice. I even swapped out the Y cartridge just to be sure that wasn't the problem.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

tribbledirigible posted:

Ok, are you seeing any error messages?

Because it sounds like your misregistration sensor on the ITB is borked.

The calibration process puts down toner on the belt directly, this sensor assembly checks the placement of each band of toner as it passes. If it sees misalignment, it signals the corresponding laser to adjust.

If it's not working right, that usually produces a "54.XXX" error.

I'm not sure where you are in the world, so I can't give you availability on the part.

And it sucks because these were really the last gasp of when Hp printers were drat solid. poo poo these days don't last 5 years, nevermind 15.

No error messages at all, this unit only has idiot lights and not a LCD. The HP Toolbox software is only complaining about having non-HP cartridges installed. The printer seems to think it's working fine.

I'm in the USA. If you think there's a part I can replace I'm game to try, I just don't know where to go for that since fixyourownprinter.com went down.
Otherwise I'm looking at getting a used Brother HL-3170cdw for that sweet duplexer and cheap toner.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Cleaning the ITB didn't help so I'll look into getting a replacement, I just wish they weren't so pricey.

Thanks for all the help, if nothing else I have the service manual for this thing now.