Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Is this thread for 3D Printers too? I want to print off a model on the work printer and downloaded .stl files, which Makerbot says it uses, however it doesn't see the files on my USB when I plug it in

Never worked with a 3D printer, so this may be completely off base, but what filesystem is the USB formatted as? Odds are quite high that the printer would only be able to read FAT32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Heners_UK posted:

FOR FUCKS SAKE Google... You're killing Google Cloud Print? Thanks, from all Android users.

? What was that even good for? What would people (or you) would use that cloud print thing for? I got a lovely HP printer not too long ago and it has things like I could send an email to this address and it would print the document. WTF? Who in their right mind would want to do such a thing? What's the use case?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I hear all these "use cases" and I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I mean, it only takes 20 seconds to print something. I would never think that i need to print something while I'm away from the house for it to be "ready" . Or ... "having to juggle between each printer vendor custom poo poo apps," ? What apps? What vendors?

"print directly from google web apps without having to setup poo poo on your incognito/kiosk pc" Where is that kiosk pc we're talking about? An internet cafe? I suppose in some parts of the world they're still going strong, so i guess there's some value there. Maybe.

Nah, I'm still confused.

Geemer posted:

If you ever figure out someone you don't like's printer email address you can sign it up for all sorts of newsletters or send dumb pictures.

Of course. That's the first thing I thought about. Why would anyone want that crap enabled ?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I understand. I guess I'm just too old now, but I never had the need to print something when I was away from the printer. For me it is incomprehensible. I suppose others didn't either since they're shutting down the service.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Oodles posted:

Unfortunately I’m trying to find the holy grail. I’m looking for a printer which can scan, wirelessly print and can print decent quality photos.

We’re looking to start making some photo albums and we’ve got a lot of photos to print off, and going to the local print store isn’t really feasible. The printer will be mostly used for photos with the occasional black and white text print.

For a home, not an office.

Ok, help me out here to understand: what does "wireless printing" mean? My understanding of the term, which is obviously wrong, is that the printer is a networked printer (wi-fi or not) and one can send print jobs to it from a wireless device connected to the local wi-fi/lan. Therefore, all that one would need to print wirelessly is a networked printer, a local wi-fi and the device connected to the local wi-fi.

Is there more to it? Additional capabilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a Brother laser printer (scanner, and all), MFC-something, and while I think I had to install some stupid "drivers" for it, they had them on their website so it wasn't much of a hassle. I like, from that point of view, the HP printers because they come with their tools, install their drivers if they need to and generally just work under linux. Odds are (and you can check on your system) that maybe CUPS already knows about it and it will be a seamless install.