Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have a feeling this is a niche need but am hoping someone has this information.

I am looking for a printer that can print 250 gsm paper, preferrably an ink tank type, does not need to be able to print larger than A4, double sided without manual feeding is a big plus.
I am going to use it to print magic the gathering proxies. Been using the high end printer at work so far and the results are good but obviously fake so no counterfeiting concerns.

I have tried googling but i am unfamiliar with the correct terminology to use and/or its such a niche need that there simply aren’t any good hits.
Have also looked at individual printer spec sheets but many doesn’t even list paper thickness or lists «cardstock»/similar (which is technically as thick as 800gsm but when then googling to confirm the thickness it turns out it can only print 120gsm). Or they list a bunch of «genuine» paper product names which is useless.

Is there a list/database of printers with this information or does someone happen to know of a few printers with this capability? Within home-use budget that is (so like $500?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

Canon Image proGraf 1000

Pixma Pro-200

Both of these are available where i live. The prograf1000 is well beyond what i need though. The price is high but manageable, but i only need A4 and it can print as large as A2

In the official specs it states they can print 105gsm regular paper or up to 300 with Genuine Canon Premium Paper. Is this a thing or just marketing bs? The paper i will be using is regular (in terms of material and surface) just thick.
The home printer industry seem like such sociopaths it might as well be true for all i know, like some nano markings on the paper or something similar on the Genuine Canon Paper so the printer refuses to print if it is not there.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 18, 2024

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

By popular demand posted:

All three of my last inkjets could handle 250 GSM

It feels like this is mostly coincidence? The 2 home printers i have access to can not handle thick paper, and the gigantic, professional, printer at work can only handle it if i put paper in tray 1.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions on other methods. I am not just printing a couple though, so they need to be ready to go without further modification after i have cut them apart.

My only real requirement is the printer being able to print 250gsm, with a high preference on an inktank printer (impression being that that is cheaper, though could just be marketing)

These 3 are interesting:
Canon Pixma 200 (not inktank, 300gsm, can print photo, currently has a cashback making it ~20% cheaper)
Epson Ecotank 8850 (inktank, 300gsm, a bit more expensive than i was hoping, can print photo)
Epson Ecotank 4850 (inktank, 250gsm, not sure how good at photo)

Photography is my other hobby and i have been curious about printing photos at home for like a decade. Thinking of going for a printer that can do that too (and do it well) now that i have the opportunity to do so.

I have used budget Epson home printers in the past (e.g. XP-2200) and they have been frustrating to use. They install like 6 different software in your computer and regularly are unable to connect to (with a cable even, not wireless)

Are the slightly more higher end Epsons easier to use?
How does Epson compare to Canon user friendlyness?