Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I replaced an inkjet all-in-one with a laser all-in-one near the start of the pandemic, and holy hell it was a quality of life improvement. I don't have to print all that often, so the percentage of times I needed to print but the inkjet had clogged nozzles, or wouldn't print text without a color ink cartridge installed, or had misaligned cartridges, or various other stupid reasons it wouldn't print or wouldn't print well worked out pretty high. The laser has been wonderfully uneventful, and I have yet to need to replace consumables (although I think it is getting close to needing it). The worst I have to do with the laser is occasionally power cycle it because it loses the network/the router forgets about it.

the time you think you need to replace a consumable on a laser printer and the time you actually need to replace the consumable has a surprisingly large gap, fyi

like my brother printer goes "hey i need more toner" hundreds of pages before it actually does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My sister wants to try getting into sticker printing and selling as a side job. She's adamant about using a laser printer for it, despite most places I looked at recommending those Epson EcoTanks. It looks like there's basically two Brother color lasers worth worrying about right now, with the big division being a multipurpose 30 sheet tray or doing it versus single manual feed. Would sticker paper work in the multipurpose tray on something like this? https://www.brother.ca/en/p/HLL3295CDW

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

had a quick browse of the brochure and labels (so stickers) are supported through the multipurpose tray, so that would work. Just don't run the labels through the main tray, there will be sadness and set the media type to labels on the driver when printing and when loading them into the tray

Thank you!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

slidebite posted:

How does the Brother nomenclature work for models? Like MFC-L, HL-L?

Yeah, but they last a long time, and their customer service is actually pretty good IMHO.

When I WFH during Covid, my company bought me cartridges for my brother color laser. Didn't install one of them for a couple of years and it started puking tonor/color/filler whatever is inside them when I eventually did.

Too long had past for us to do a return to Staples but I called brother, gave them the serial #, explained the problem, and they sent me a new cartridge prepaid to my door and just told me to throw away the old one.

MFC is multifunction. HL is home laser. I think the numbers correspond to the toners used, because my mom's MFC and my HL use the same toner cartridge and have similar numbers if not the same.