Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does a full-colour (networked) label printer exist that isn't the Epson TM-C3500? Mainly just being a bit of a cheapskate here because I don't want to spend a grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Put a sledgehammer through that piece of poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.ebuyer.com/663254-fujitsu-scansnap-s1100i-portable-document-scanner-pa03610-b101 ?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The running costs on small colour lasers are ridiculous - stick with monochrome models that have large capacity toner options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Epson are good and the fake inks always work fine. Or you can get one of their Ecotank models and just pour ink in out of bottles.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Run off full pages of CMY and K and see if any colour is noticeably worse, but at a guess you need a new transfer belt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

900 pages estimated out of the starter toners isn't too awful. I don't think I'd ever put genuine toner into those compact desktop colour lasers though, it seems like a very easy way to make yourself poor - some of them can end up costing 15p a page if you're doing colour.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd buy (and have bought) genuine toner for mono devices, but the desktop colour units seem to have reached new heights in terms of consumable pricing vs. quantity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe something like this?

https://www.printnode.com/en

If you're on Office 365 then you can get in on the ground floor with this, but it's very beta at the moment

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/announcing-universal-print-a-cloud-based-print-solution/ba-p/1204775

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/universal-print-concept-overview

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 31, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd pick the Brother because trying to navigate different scan option with a two line dot matrix display like the one on the HP is going to be frustrating.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

...how many times have those brackets on the left pulled out of the wall

Also I hate Sharp devices, total dogshit

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your budget can get you a decent mono laser printer with low running costs, you're not getting anything colour that isn't poo poo consumer inkjet for that money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mono laser is always worth it, except for colour lasers which you should lease with toners/drums/developer etc. included in a per-page price.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The ScanSnap scanners come with an Abbyy FineReader license, but it looks pretty expensive by itself

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

300dpi is more than good enough for printing out normal documents

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going through this at the moment, I only need a mono machine but I want duplex scanning which seems to be a niche option for some reason. I've settled on the HP M428fdw but it's not exactly a budget machine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's from a range of HP printers that must be at least 15 years old now. If you really have to get it working then wash out the ink pads as best you can and try some rubbing alcohol on the print heads if they are crusted over, but I wouldn't be spending too much time on it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SlowBloke posted:

Azure Universal Print went GA yesterday, meaning everyone with a A3/5 or E3/5 can use it now. Sadly they decided to use print procesess (eg print jobs, not print pages) as payment structure. Each user provides 100 monthly print processes to the tenant pool, if you want more you need to buy addons (which add 500 pages each). IMHO numbers are too low to make it useful, anybody which has print complexity issues will require far more prints than the free quotas and asking management for funds when local print server works fine might be hard.

Those are ridiculous numbers - 5 print jobs per working day. Having people pay per-page to *use* printers they're already paying for and servicing is a really dumb pricing model.

Fortunately PaperCut Hive launches this week, is massively more feature-rich than Universal Print and priced per printer.

E: Are you sure about the 100 jobs per user figure? This page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/universal-print/fundamentals/universal-print-license#whats-included-with-universal-print says it's only 5 jobs per month per person.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 3, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who is buying additional print capacity for their enterprise of 1000 people in 500 print job blocks as well, for gently caress's sake. Imagine having to explain that printing across your entire organisation stopped working because the person who was responsible for topping up printer credits was off sick.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the job never completes because the printer has a fault, that also counts as a job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been looking at small multi-function options and a lot of the features I want (duplex printing and scanning, non-poo poo user interface, good cloud storage options) seem to be exclusive to colour laser models, which then come with insane costs for the toner packs. Even looking at compatible supplies it's almost the price of the printer to put toners into it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Interesting, the 2750 would do the job. Not sure how I missed that, but it's on the shortlist now. Thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's either a drum or imaging belt issue. What happens if you run a blank page through, does the crap still get dropped onto the paper? If so I'd be inclined to say it's the belt.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.brother-usa.com/supplies/toner-ink-recycling

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get something on a lease so that when the "yes it definitely supports TLS and v4 drivers" turns out to be a lie you can phone the company up and tell them to come and collect it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nostalgamus posted:

As far as I can tell there's no thread for scanners, but they're basically the same device these days, so I'll ask here.

Is there any significant difference in scan quality between cheaper and more expensive printer/scanners? Is a cheap one sufficient for most normal use cases? I'm planning to scan some old books, and trying to determine whether a cheap scanner will give me decent picture quality.

Have you tried the various scanner apps for smartphones? Something like Adobe Scan and a decent clamp to hold your phone to something that doesn't wobble would probably do a good job of this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would sub out envelope printing to a relatively cheap label printer and stick the labels on the envelopes, and remove it from your requirements of the main printer.

A lot of printers will print on envelopes but you have to put them in the bypass tray and feed them one at a time, which isn’t an option when you have 100 of them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you check the Brother website there might be firmware updates available for it, which will do more to correct connectivity bugs than updating the drivers. With that said there's no reason not to update them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A great outcome of the forced rush to work from home over the past few years has been companies trying to reduce paperwork wherever possible

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The killer with colour laser is the toner costs, even if you buy non-genuine stuff

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's in the Atlantic as well so all of their staff would fight to the death to keep the sort of light touch corporate oversight that got us to that point

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know why printer manufacturers charge such a big premium to get a model with a decent sized colour display on instead of a 2 inch resistive touch or some dot matrix monochrome poo poo, but it’s still annoying.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are the drums and toners integrated with each other? Looks like everything is fine except the black which is making GBS threads all over the place.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My guess is you need a new black developer unit

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you need a scanner or can you get away with using one of the various apps on your phone to take a picture of a document and process it as a PDF?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would something like an Epson SC-P700 fit the bill?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can your label supplier give you the labels on rolls rather than sheets? A thermal transfer printer like a Zebra will do a better job of this. Brady also make printers dedicated to labelling and you can feed things like heatshrink tube into them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fatrick posted:

Please don't get hung up on the rolls and labels thing. It's the solution we're using for many reasons. Rolls are all proprietary, using a proprietary printer, which we have, and do use, but it is expensive and slow. If we want to use a generic printer for volume printing, it's on 8.5x11 sheets. I can pre print 1000 labels and put them in a binder in 5 minutes by sheet. Or print 100 labels in an hour on a strip that I can't put into a binder in any organized way, and it'll cost me more in resources to do it, not just time.

This is what we're printing on:

https://www.panduit.com/en/products/signs-labels-identification/labels-markers-printers/desktop-printer-labels/s100x225yaj.html

We've used laser printers before for this with this product, we've never had issues with the fuser messing up the labels.

I think people are just being cautious because you've mentioned reliability. The 2.25x1" labels that you linked are available on a roll (S100X225VATY) and Newark lists them at $600/5000 with the label sheets at $220/1000.

Anyway, in terms of desktop printers the best one I can see that would suit your requirements is the OKI B412dn which has a manual feed front tray, and you can flip the rear tray down so the paper path is as straight as possible, and you can put a 7000 page toner into it.

Edit: Actually ignore that, I had no idea they pulled out the US market.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of printer companies build the big models themselves and then buy in some complete trash to fill out the range of desktop and small workgroup models. I think maybe Canon are one of the few who don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Printing should be avoided if at all possible