Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We don't even bother with 3rd party toners anymore.

They all suck, every single one of them. Yeah they may be half the price, but they last half as long and have a high failure rate and/or poo poo print quality. Even "premium" ones that are 75% the cost of OEM toner are just as bad.

For HP toners, the image drum is built into the toner cartridge.. the refillers always seem to re-use these way more often than they should, resulting in poo poo print quality well before the toner in the cartridge runs out. And refilled Brother cartridges seem to leak toner on a consistent basis everywhere inside the printer.

Also had 2 of the HP PageWide inkjet printers destroyed by generic ink cartridges. This poo poo they filled the cartridges with gummed up and clogged the print mech so bad never could get it to work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Printers are the devil. gently caress all printers.

This simply cannot be repeated enough times.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Llab posted:

Oh hey, I work at a printer/copier dealer. I only install the darn things, not service them, but it's good to see a bunch of people in the same line of work.

You must stop! You are only contributing to the spread of these infernal machines!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
All printers are a terrible nightmare...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Oyster posted:

They're basically the same as the 6655's and C405's. I have 267 of em. The first one you do will take about 6 hours, yeah. With practice you can knock it down to about 3 1/2.

It's still easier to get the entire machine replaced.

So its much like the infamous "swing plate gear" on HP LaserJet 400 series. In addition, the LaserJet 600 series ALSO has the same problem, as it largely shares its internals with the 400. With the bonus of being more difficult to get to.

I have a few 600s; I have replaced that gear/assembly on one of them. I will not do it again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Most HP inkjet printers use a design where the printhead is built into the ink cartridge itself. Your printer appears to be of this design. There are contacts on top or back of the cartridge that mate with a pogo-pin style connector in the printer. Make sure these are completely clean on BOTH sides. This is what gets the signal to the printhead elements on the cartridge. If they are dirty, it will never print. Also, with this design, getting a new cartridge means you get new print heads every time! If you manage to get it to print, there is a small photo-diode type sensor on the head carriage somewhere. This is what it uses to do the alignment. This would also need to be cleaned.

Your printer appears to have quite the amount of pages on it based on the ink mist everywhere.

If a new cartridge doesn't solve it, then there is likely something wrong with the circuit that drives the printhead.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The 5730s where workhorses. I had a sizable fleet of them at work. Generally got about 150k pages out of them before a failure that was not economical to repair. (like the fuser, which cost the same as a new printer)

If I remember correctly around 100k it will throw a message about the the laser being "end of life". Requiring a reset procedure with the buttons to get around.

The series that eventually replaced it was not so reliable. Having major issues with the fusers failing after like only 15k pages. I gave up on Brother printers after that experience.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Sounds like normal printer operation to me!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
PSA: Avoid the Brother HL-L5xxx/L6xxx series, or any Brother printer using the DR820 drum.

I've built up a sizeable fleet of these recently with new store openings. We've made the discovery that image drums last at best 15k pages when they are rated for double that. They usually start showing signs of wear in as little as 10k pages. So basically you need a new drum just about every time you replace the toner cartridge.

Ugh.. why did I give Brother a second chance...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Peachfart posted:

You are probably doing one of these things:
Using WSD instead of IP address for the port

I understand what they where shooting for when they developed this technology. But good god does it suck at actually doing what it was supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Entry-level lasers seem to be "LED"?: Cheap color laser things like the Brother-HLL3270CDW are apparently LED-based and not real lasers. Does this matter?

Not really... It's still the xerographic process as in a standard laser printer. Just the laser part is replaced by a bar with a bunch of tiny LEDs on it, thus making for a cheaper, less complicated, and smaller printer design. It doesn't really have any downsides compared to traditional laser printers.