Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We have a HP Color LaserJet M554, and it says it's time for new toner. I just expected to be able to buy some non-HP cartridges at a fourth of the cost, but the pickings seem slim. Only place I found was a dodgy German webshop with instructions on how to move a chip from the old OEM cartridge.

What's the skinny on non-original toner for this model of printer? I'm 100% OK with toner levels not being reported, as long as it prints.

All four CMYK colors are at 10% or lower, it'll cost more than the printer did to replace them all with OEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Having recently been burned by HP laser printers and their cartridges having the chip, preventing me from buying non-HP toner cartridges... are they all like that?

What are the recommendations for a multi function laser printer (scan, fax, copy. print, duplex) where a new set of toner doesn't cost as much as the printer itself?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Quackles posted:

Brother printers are currently the gold standard for laser printers imo.

Don't worry about HP, their quality just went off a cliff in the last 10 years.

Thanks I'll check those out.

tribbledirigible posted:

Which model do/did you have?

I have a HP Color LaserJet M554 and a site office is asking about the HP Colour LaserJet Pro MFP 4301fdw. Both only work with OEM cartridges, unless you spend an hour with a pair of tweezers moving over the chips.