Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I recently picked up an Hll-3290cdw which works great. Wireless and decent color. Didn't even install any brother bloat ware. Windows 10 recognized it and installed perfectly. A little klunky with the lcd display for connecting to my home network but nothing terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a Brother HL-L3290CDW that I really like

BUT

after I put in 4 new Brother toner carts, I get print outs like the attached. I looks like Toner is getting on some rollers. I have taken all the toner carts out, used that little wire cleaning slider gizmo on each of them, taken a cotton ball with isopropyl to them as well.

I am a bit of an idiot with printer maintenance, but I'm not sure what else I should be doing. Any ideas on where I should be specifically looking/cleaning and how?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes, it's the same if there is no text/image. Any idea how I would go about cleaning that?

e:
Nevermind! I think I found it and I see stuff on it. Thanks !

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 31, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, I think I see how the toner got on that belt. Here is where I laid them down when I pulled it out.

Prints MUCH better, but still not great. There is still that background "haze" on it. Not white. Although to be fair I can't be sure it's not from re-inserting the toner cartridge.

Genuine brother toner cartridge

There was a smaller roller underneath it, seemed kind of soft/foamy and it also had toner on it. I guess I should clean that now too?

It has # WT223CL

e: gently caress, that black one poo poo all over the belt again ffs

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I'm calling brother tomorrow. It's brand new. I don't have the receipt any more (bought months ago, but just installed). Hoping they can help. :(

Appreciate it guys

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Brother surprisingly said they'll send me a new toner cartridge so hopefully that'll cure my issues.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Received the new toner yesterday from Brother. Gave the machine a good last clean out, installed the new toner on the black drum and works like a charm. Was a pity just throwing the full one into the trash but :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Peachfart posted:

You have learned a valuable lesson: generic toner is garbage.
I think that it might be more accurate to say that OEM is less likely to be garbage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've got a brother color "LED" type thing, HLL3290 CDW and other than that one issue I had with the OEM toner making GBS threads all over the place, it's been a good printer. No complaints. I'm not going print glossy photos with it anytime soon, but color text/documents look great.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Windows Update has shown an optional update for my brother color laser for a while. I can't find much info on it from searching.

Any benefit to it? One PC always seems to have trouble printing to it on wireless on my network, but I always chalked it up to the PC, not the printer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Has anyone run into anything weird with windows 10 and networking? I have a Brother HLL-3290CDW which my wifes PC seems to have trouble seeing with regularity. They are both connected to my home network via WAP 2.4ghz.

For some reason, her PC, even though it's on the same WAP 50/50 chance if it can print. Generally an error like it cannot see the printer or unresponsive or something. My PC which is connected to the network via a totally different method sees it without fail, as does my work PC downstairs.

I typically have to uninstall it on her PC, and the re-install it, which typically seems to work but it's quite annoying.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 9, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Quackles posted:

Check that toner hasn't leaked from the cartridge. A design flaw I've found in these printers is that toner can occasionally get out of the cartridge when it's not supposed to.

If there is toner in the insides of the printer, I found wiping it up with Kleenex worked fairly well.

I had that happen to me with Brother. To their benefit, they sent me a brand new one PPD and apologized.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a Brother HL-L3290CDW which seems to be really fussy with wireless network printing.

I have a couple PCs on my home network which can see it, but never seem to be able to print on it and another 2 that when they go to print, an error comes up that Windows had a problem printing, but it actually does print.

Does anyone with Brother experience know if there some janky wifi settings or something I need to tweak? I do have my main PC hooked up via USB and it's fine, but the printer doesn't have a network port for hardwiring to a hub (which I do have close by)... alternatively, is there such thing as a RJ45-USB printer cable I could use more reliably?

Mrs. Slidebite emails documents to me or whatever which is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tribbledirigible posted:

Side-grade to a -DN suffixed model. Those designate just an ethernet port on the back.

Boy, I'd really rather not have to buy a new printer :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Interesting angle - never thought about that. Using the vanilla ISP supplied router with my FTTH (Telus).

Good idea. Thanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It looks like walt disney threw up lol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I doubt it, but I think the more interesting question is where did the piece that broke off end up?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Geemer posted:

For Android you want the Brother Print Service Plugin to enable printing from apps.
FWIW, I can print to my Brother from my Pixel 6 when on wifi with my home network and I never installed any software.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How does the Brother nomenclature work for models? Like MFC-L, HL-L?

By popular demand posted:

The cartridges are drat expensive though.
Yeah, but they last a long time, and their customer service is actually pretty good IMHO.

When I WFH during Covid, my company bought me cartridges for my brother color laser. Didn't install one of them for a couple of years and it started puking tonor/color/filler whatever is inside them when I eventually did.

Too long had past for us to do a return to Staples but I called brother, gave them the serial #, explained the problem, and they sent me a new cartridge prepaid to my door and just told me to throw away the old one.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 9, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Accidentially posted in a different thread :downs:

We have a Brother multi function color laser. Speaking of, it only has USB and Wifi.

Wifi has always been flaky and the network PCs can never see it reliably. I do have a network switch near it. Would a USB->RJ45 work to get that thing to see the network reliably? Or even do-able? Or can the USB port only used for a single, direct control PC connection?

It's a Brother HL-L3290CDW
https://www.brother.ca/en//p/HLL3290CDW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nielsm posted:

USB is for connecting to a single computer, which could then be set up to share it over the network. Or you could set up a dedicated print server.

If the printer is connected to the same WiFi network as your computer, and there isn't anything in the way that could block the signal between the printer and the router, then it really ought to be perfectly reliable. Don't rely on a direct wireless connection between computer and printer, always make the printer a part of the home network, connected to your access point (router).

Maybe that's the issue, it might be connected to a closer WAP instead of directly to the main router. It should be a solid enough connection for printing but not for huge data flows. It's 2 floor away from the main router, but the 2.4 should be strong enough for that if not stellar.