Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

El Grillo posted:

^^This is a great post. I feel like this could profitably be renamed the printer ptsd group therapy thread. Also thanks for the further Brother recommendations.

I couldn't believe that poo poo about waste toner bottles when I recently started my new job. I haven't worked a lot with office photocopiers in the past few years, has that always been a thing? Is there any way to empty the fuckers yourself?? I assume not, without destroying the bottle fitting in any case.

Depending on the model. Some are just an open hole with a cap to screw on when they're full. Some can be cracked open, vacuumed out, and taped back together. Those are the waste containers that are $5.60

Some newer (albeit larger floor) models recycle the waste toner, remixing it back into the toner bottle and using it. Only black and whites do it right now, but I'm longing for the day a color process for that is devised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Basticle posted:

Anyone else here have to deal with a Xerox Phaser as their office printer? :sludgepal:

Which model is your bane? The 6180 and 8860 should've never been invented, but the 3635 has been solid in my experience.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Basticle posted:

My company used the 8860 and similar models for 10 years and I want to throw it off a highway overpass.

Yeah the solid ink models were pretty batshit. They also expected customers to basically service the machines themselves, scanners etc were all "customer replaceable units". All of those are now legacy, and good riddance. The 3635 is slightly less old (about 7 years) but also pretty solid and dependable as long as the fuser doesn't overheat.

The newer stuff like the 6655 is pretty great. I'm not yet sold on the newest desktops, the Versalinks, but I'm reserving judgment until I see them in action for a couple more months.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I work for Xerox as a field engineer, and the Versalinks/Altalinks are just old engines with a tablet interface - the VLC405 is basically a 6655 with new covers, every part inside is indentical in terms of replacement. Also, the firmware and interface on them is beyond loving poo poo

I am too and the C405 ROS assembly can eat poo poo harder than the web interface.

The C8035-70's are my homies though, once you get them not-lovely software. I've only seen one with the significant toner contamination problem that plagued the 78's for a bit.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

man, I've got replacing the ROS on one of those down to a fine art, if you ignore everything it says about removing the main drive because gently caress removing the main drive on one of those. I can probably have one of those replaced and back up and running in an hour if I'm in the mood, an hour and a half if it's the end of the day and I want to get home. And toner contamination on a 78xx you say?

That was fun!

Yep, that's a common thing where I'm from. I'm the only one in my area that's had to do the C405 ROS though - I kinda figured it'd be possible without removing the main drive once I got it put back together but didn't put any tinkering into actually trying. Good to know!

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Basically follow the manual for removing the bypass frame up to removing the main drive, then remove the two screws that attach the drive to the frame which are closest to where the bypass frame sits. Flex it towards you by 1cm or so and that should provide enough give to get the bypass frame out, then when once you've put the bypass frame back in, whack the drive flush against frame. Interestingly enough, the 6655 manual does the "flex rather than remove" manual procedure, the 6600/6605 and the 400/405s insist on removing the drive

I've done a fair few 6655 bypass trays (the little plastic levers on the sides love to break) and I certainly noticed the similarities. Wasn't entirely sure if it'd be possible to get the dispense assemblies out like that (though I recall seeing instructions on inserting the dispense assemblies with the main drive still in place), but I'll definitely be trying the next time I have to do one and I'll be sharing that with the other techs. Thanks again!

6605's are outsourced to a third party in my area, probably for the best. I tend to get the calls that require a fair bit of research, and I've been kept quite busy.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Tomorrow, I have my favourite kind of job. From the notes I've been given: "User replaced toner, didn't fit, attempted to remove, end of toner stuck in device and now toner spilled within device". I swear to loving jesus some people should just not go near machinery

Those caps come off waaayyyy too easy.

I'm lucky to have an office on site I can bring big jobs to and rip machines apart without pressure from the customer. Currently doing a C405 registration assembly, because no other tech wants to touch that and I get an office.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

In a "learn something new every day" thing, had a job where the output was blurry, but only because the yellow part of the image was mis-registered. Ran the colour registration adjustment, still out of alignment; reset the internal settings, ran the adjustment, still out of alignment. Turns out that if the sensor that reads the density of the toner patches ran on start up is slightly dirty, it'll gently caress that up so after blowing the sensor out with some air duster, ran the registration adjustment and lo, all the colours look good and proper

Was this on a 75/78/79/C80xx? Cause by howdy is that a common problem where I'm from. It's not always the MOB sensor but that's a good place to start.

Llab posted:

I can't even fathom that. I've heard stories, but it floors me that people just do that. I hate the drat things as much as anyone, but for bigger installs, I nominally have a bunch of people above me work out what needs to be done to configure the drat things once on site.

I'm contracted to a very large account that is currently going through a hardware refresh and any time the installs go wrong (at least 4 a week) I get called in to "make it work". Yeah.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Charles posted:

Hey if my inkjet needs to do the head cleaning procedure all the time now is there something I can manually clean or is it just time for something new?

If that's the case, for cost of ink / toner, is laser still better even with color? Seems like the advertised PPM is way higher, but I've never had a color laser.

Thanks for your help with these terrible devices!

Color laser is still where it's at.

As the resident Xerox engineer (I think) my recommendation is always to not buy Xerox

As another Xerox engineer I agree.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Over the weekend I will be disassembling this piece of poo poo

There's an assembly inside which has taken on legendary status amongst engineers, in terms of how long it takes to remove and replace. So on Saturday providing I don't get any overtime, I'm basically going to strip this thing down completely, take said assembly out, put it back in again and see if it still prints when all is said and done and also to see how long it takes (rough estimate was six hours from one other engineer)

They're basically the same as the 6655's and C405's. I have 267 of em. The first one you do will take about 6 hours, yeah. With practice you can knock it down to about 3 1/2.

It's still easier to get the entire machine replaced.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

stevewm posted:

So its much like the infamous "swing plate gear" on HP LaserJet 400 series. In addition, the LaserJet 600 series ALSO has the same problem, as it largely shares its internals with the 400. With the bonus of being more difficult to get to.

I have a few 600s; I have replaced that gear/assembly on one of them. I will not do it again.

My last boss would not replace machines no matter how many parts or man hours were thrown at them. I learned how to do that registration clutch and assembly of the 6605/6655/C405 out of necessity.

He got shitcanned and I was put back under my previous boss. I put in a request for a replacement of a machine of a completely different model and issue that he had refused for months and it was approved in 7 minutes. I'm looking forward to never again as well.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

In honour of my last day as a field engineer before I embark on a higher paid desk-based role as a co-ordinating supervisor for a big account, I present: Copier In Room With Threatening Shelving Aura

Surprisingly, there was enough room in the hidey hole to detach the professional finisher and allow me to remove the parts - finisher PWB, compiler exit sensor, booklet in sensor and booklet gate solenoid - and not hit either the shelves or the out of shot bucket of stale water

As a field engineer contracted to one of those big accounts, congrats.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

I'm basically being a field engineer and doing other support as well so that two of the sites don't need a field engineer to visit at all as I'll be doing that, and the other two sites which are miles away, the on-site contacts will be going through me before they do anything technical to streamline the process and reduce engineer visits. But all I've done so far is collate the total page counts for each machine, re-do the floor plans for each building on my site, clean out the guy who I'm replacing's stock cupboard - I found a scanner for a machine which had been ordered and replaced by an engineer who'd left the company four years ago on there - sending back two full boxes of spent toner and consumables, making a list of parts I want on site, and just getting everything to a place where I can feel comfortable having every machine working well. Then I'm actually going to start going round and doing monthly maintenance on them all as of next week, just to give myself something to do

Ah. That sounds a lot like my present position, I'm technically a TSR(Site) now. I don't get to arrange my machines the way I want to, but have an office in the largest hospital of the account where I keep my parts and my docucare people go through me. I'm jealous of the free time, I've got around 2,500 machines and kept pretty busy.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

In January, I submitted a workcentre 3655 for a mechanical exchange because after three visits, a new hard drive, a new SD card, two new IP boards and a new MCU board the motherfucking bastard machine would not accept an altboot firmware upgrade (also, when it did boot-up, it was in Italian - so much for a "non scavenged from a deprecated machine Xerox"). Today, having been stuck on the site as docucare and knowing that the same machine was in storage, had been replaced but not disposed off, and knowing I had a spare SD card and HDD I had booked off on previous calls I figured I would throw them in and see if I could altboot the software on. Initial impressions were not good as I got a load of SD card errors, but after re-inserting the SD card, the machine stayed on (still in Italian) but didn't reboot after 15 seconds and instead... accepted the firmware reload and is now perfectly functional?

Lollllllll.

I got a 6655 with basically the same thing. HDD, SD card, IP board. Haven't done MCU yet. If you submitted in January and it's still around, hell, take the free hotswap.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Last week, because I was bored, I removed and replaced the reg transport on a Versalink B405 - mainly because the day before I got a call from head office as to where the paper work on a 3655 I'd put in a mechanical exchange in June had got to (lots of people going on holiday at the same time, apparently) and mainly because I botched the reg transport replacement on that so badly it needed a replacement. Anyway, I really wish Xerox had found somewhere, anywhere else for the MCU board to go because untangling the two wire harnesses for the reg transport from the thick clump going into the MCU board is a pain in the loving arse

This is the exact reason why I have started snipping the clutch wires and soldering the new one on. gently caress replacing that conga line of cables. Before I started snipping the clutch I'd just break out all the plastic holding all those cables in to make the untangle easier.

Edit to not double post: Speaking of B405's, I've had to run replacements on 6 of them now for not booting. Nothing fixes it, not HD, ESS board, MCU, whatever. Every escalation I've done has them pointing the finger at the eMMC card, which they won't replace as it's a "security feature" since that's where billing data is if the machine doesn't have an HD.

Just read an article on Slashdot about Tesla having to replace upwards of 12,000 eMMC cards. HMMMMMMM.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 19, 2020

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Peachfart posted:

Lets just say that when you enter the 6 digit range, laser printers can be the size of an RV and have more colors than CMYK. White toner is common at that level.

Not going to shill for a former employer but I thought the gold and silver toner in the Iridesse was pretty neat on a conceptual level. The fact that it's gold, silver, clear, and fluorescent pink toners that are required in addition to CMYK is wild to me. I get clear for more of a gloss that other toners can't do, but.....fluorescent pink? Cool!

Oyster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 28, 2021

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Thanks Ants posted:

Get something on a lease so that when the "yes it definitely supports TLS and v4 drivers" turns out to be a lie you can phone the company up and tell them to come and collect it

Having spent 7 years servicing large office printers, do this.

I don't service those office printers anymore, now I service the servers. Every company is lying about v4 drivers working.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Had another Altalink C8030 go into a deepsleep that can only be recovered by unplugging the power cable, powering it on at the tablet with the power cable out and then powering it back on, and then doing a software reload. And of course, Xerox have done something fucky to my laptop so I can't do a PWS software reload, the joys

I stopped working for Xerox in April of last year, but I had 200 C8030-C8070's in my account and never encountered that. No altbooting with a flash drive? Kinda surprised to see a software glitch on the altalinks, after the post code 5 glitch with the B8055's on release was fixed I didn't see a single issue on them. Versalinks, on the other hand......

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

The test environment we were allowed to have was "one machine that no-one uses"

Drive-by posting just to say I appreciate your stories. I escaped Xerox in May 2021 (went from printer tech to network security engineer) but I still intimately know the models and issues you throw out. Kinda surprised to see WC59xx's being replaced, in my experience those things were far better than the 58s, kind of a hybrid stepping stone between the 58s and the Altalinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

I don't mind the WC59xxs, they were a massive step up from the shitboxes that were WC57xxs, a machine so terrible that I get PTSD from working on those but thankfully those are exceptionally end of life (and also one was forever stationed outside of David Boreanz's character's office in Bones, but I digress). We just replaced our fleet of WC59xxs with Versalink B71xxs, and our remaining WC6655s and any phasers are due to be replaced with final model Versalink C410s but apparently they absolutely loving suck and are still being tested for deployment into the client's environment.

And in said client news, one of my printers went offline, so I did some testing and it wasn't the device, so handed a job over to networks to see if some VLAN or switch or firewall voodoo had taken it out. Instead, I was told that the comms room the switch sat in had flooded and fried the switch, hence why it was offline. This is a multi-billion pound company that deals with all of its IT on vibes, goodwill and hope

I had a 57xx run 3.5 million before it finally croaked. Had to replace the fuser webbing at one point, only time I ever had to touch that. Replaced it with an Altalink B8055 and never looked back.

When I left there were a multitude of Versalink C405's that would somehow corrupt the EEPROM chip, which wasn't spared, so it was an automatic device replacement. I loved the Altalinks, but I'm very glad I got out once the Phasers were replaced with the Versalinks, even though I got really good at replacing that notorious feed clutch they simply seemed less reliable.

I watched the majority of Bones (think I fell off 2 seasons before it ended) and I literally never noticed that 57xx, lol.