Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The matter of the deceased is quite simple; they were eaten by a common grue. The elevation of the peasant living conditions from hovel to cottage introduced the novel architectural element known as the attic, which is often not sufficiently illuminated to deter these pests.

Black Robe posted:

The peasant believed he had discovered the secret to your immortal god-king status. He was mistaken. (Make sure he's buried very deeply, or better yet cremated. You know. Just in case he wasn't completely mistaken.)

Nordick posted:

Really I think they just flat-out died of dysentery.

These are good submissions, and I will grant each of you a small boon. Request them of me through PMs or in the thread. Your choice.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Why do peasants mysteriously die? Why, the answer is as plain as day.

This man has spotted our miscreant! Those darn fiendish fairies steal into our town and take off with the souls of our precious vassals!

We must mount a punitive military force to locate all the nearby fairy circles and burn them down! Fortunately it's well known that fairy kind are weak to iron, and our wise lord has recently called for a smithy to be built...

This is the best one! You get a major boon! PM me and I'll see how I can do it.

And now, for your regular update!

-----

Hey, and welcome back! Today, I'm going to built defenses for my city, and have them actually be useful. I hope.

I'm going to be skipping over wide swathes of development. You've seen it all already, so I'm just going to show off milestones or important points.

First, let's make sure there are enemies that will spawn.

After a bit of fiddling, I decide to go with this map - the Medium Land mass with a seed of 706002772. Only one Iron deposit I see right away, but there's a hella-lot of stone. Good for walls.

I pop down the keep for the City of Goons here.

Farmland to the up and right, Stone to the up and left, future housing to the bottom, and plenty of trees to the left. I really do like this spot!

I'm doing a lot more prep-work this game, such as building this ring-road around the Keep before getting a move on to expanding my city. It'll slow of my start, but I think it will pay off dividends in the future. This picture is from Spring 2, where I had my farmers chopping wood over the winter rather than standing around on farms that weren't doing anything.

Spring 3, and this road that I'm building will be the primary access road for my Foresters and multiple Stone Quarries. I maintain that this is a good start for my game, but it's going to be a slow first patch.

It isn't until Summer 5 that the road is done with the first Quarry built. I've started to build more houses and farms to support my population.

Granary and first Stockpile are done in Winter 6.

Summer 9, and I hit 25 pops. Cottage under construction, and a Forester is built.

Spring 10, another Forester and a second Quarry.

As space becomes available, I start demolishing Hovels to replace them with cottages. Eventually, pairs of cottages like this will be replaced with Manors.

:doh: Need more Wells!

An interesting thing to note is that fires can not only spread from building to building (but not across roads), but they can also spread to adjacent trees. This burning Forester has started a small Forest Fire!

Just a quick stop in Spring 14 to show off my development. I'm sticking with Farms for now, aiming for Windmills in the future. Tavern, City Square and three Charcoal Burners have come up as well as a third Forester.

Summer 17, and I put down my first Treasure Room. This is going to set the flag for the first new thing this game.

I've been over-producing charcoal, so I've turned off two of the three as you can see here. This freed up 6 more workers for other things, while still allowing me to boot production immediately should I need to.

Ah, nicely coming along. Things are just perfect!

Wait. What's that?

That looks ominous...

Uh.... uh oh.

PANIC!

REDA ALERT! ALL HANDS ON DECK! DRAGON INCOMING!

So, Dragons. My screenshots aren't doing this guys justice, and I'll have to see about making a GIF of one in motion, because it's pretty awesome. Dragons fly overhead, and breathe down fire on your structures before leaving. The trigger to get your first dragon is either population based, or in building your first Treasure Room, with the first Dragon coming 10 years later or thereabouts.

Now, the first Dragon doesn't actually do anything. Rather, it's a warning of what is to come, and you need to start preparing for it.

So, what to do?

Well, I've ignored most of the Castle buildings so far this LP, but no longer. It's time to build our defenses!

Castle Block and Wood Castle Blocks are the basis of your walls. Wood blocks can be stacked up to 3 units high and only require Wood. Castle Blocks can be stacked as high as you can make them as long as no segment of wall is more than 3 units higher than an adjacent stack, but requires more stone and wood to build.

Stone takes more damage than Wood before being destroyed.

There's an achievement for building a very, very, very tall tower, which I naturally already have, called "Tower of Babel".

Stone Gates allow you to build a road through your wall and let your population in or out as needed.

Archer and Ballista Towers can only be built on top of walls, and I'll get to them later. You can build Archer Towers at any time, while Ballistas need the construction of a Chamber of War.

Chambers of War are required to build Ballistas and the Barracks. Through them, you can start to build your armies by hiring up to three Generals. Barracks allow you to convert your pops into Soldiers, assuming you have armaments made by Blacksmiths for the purpose.

Moats are just that. You used to be able to attach Norias to them, but I don't think that's possible any longer. They slow down certain invaders.

The Great Hall is something I'll cover much later as it has nothing to do with city defense.

The clock is ticking on the next attack, so it's time to start with a Tower.

So, here in an Archery Tower atop a tower made of Stone. What is very important here is the two rings around the tower. The outer ring represents the maximum range at which this tower can deal damage to invaders. However, this is not the guarantee of damage. The inner, filled in ring, represents the guaranteed damage it can deal.

Now, the important part is this - the taller the tower that you build upon, the larger these two rings get. This four-tile tall tower provides archery coverage for six tiles in each direction, with partial coverage for another five.

But I don't want Archery. I want Ballista. Which means getting a Chamber of War built.

Here is a wood tower, which I am building to save on Stone.

And in Winter 26, I lay down the Chamber of War. Only 11 years to go until the Dragon comes back!

Now, this is a Ballista on the Wooden Tower. There is no 'maybe hit' range, for with this, if it fires, it will hit. I've watched the shots curve in mid-flight to hit a moving dragon before - almost as funny as watch PPC's curve over hills back in my MechCommander LP.

Now, Archer Towers are low damage, but you can build them sooner and they cost less resources to build. They also fire much faster, and are great for taking on multiple targets. Ballista have a longer range, deal lots of damage, but require more to build and fire slowly. They're better for taking on single larger targets, like Dragons.

And here that same Ballista's range on a 4-high Stone tower. Remember everyone, Higher is better!

:doh: Dammit! I knew I was forgetting something!

Oh.

Oh dear.

Um...

CRAP!

Vikings come with no warning. Or rather, the Dragon starts a hidden timer for these guys as well. They sail in from the edge of the map, and path toward your town. Once there, they will start fires, kidnap your peasants, and worst of all ... they will mix the glass with the plastic recyclables!

THE HORROR!

I'm lucky. The Vikings have made landfall about as far away from me as possible. There's a couple things to note here. First is that the ship comes equipped with a Catapult. So if you get the bright idea of simply walling off your land to give them no room to set down on, they'll start knocking down your walls from at sea. Second, wherever they do land, they'll knock whatever is there down. In this case, to tiles of trees went away.

I don't care about that. That's on the other end of the island.

It takes them the whole year to march across my island, giving me time to not put up enough new defenses. This is gonna suck, I know it.

Here they are, setting fire to an unbuilt cottage just as the Archery Tower gets built. The length of the Flag is their HP meter, giving you an idea of how much more punishment they can take. Being in the crossfire of an Archery tower and two Ballistas makes short work of the first attackers.

The heat is on, and it's time to invest in my defenses seriously.

Summer 34, and I'm a town! Yay!

Please note that walls do nothing against Dragons, and they will only slow down Vikings.

Spring 37, and the first actual Dragon Attack begins.

Now, Dragon and Viking attacks lower happiness while in play, and defeating them improves happiness. It's win-win all around!

Also, attacks can come from any angle. This one is flying in from the opposite side of the bay that the Vikings landed on.

If you can squint, you can see the Dragon off in the distance. I'm confident that this will be enough to kill the Dragon before it causes too much damage.

Having gotten into range, the archery tower starts firing tiny little arrows at it.

Let me say again just how beautiful this game is in motion.

Ahh! :flame: Dragon breathing fire on my Farms! Well, at least it's something quick and easy to restore. And I have nearly 300 food in stock, so I can afford to lose out on those for a year.

:flame:

Here, the Ballista has finally killed the Dragon as it was leaving. Dragons fall from the sky on their back and they rarely crush what is under them - so be careful if you're fighting one over your city - and even more rarely can cause a fire where they land.

And slaying a Dragon makes your peasants happy! Who knew?

Winter 39. Time to build the Barracks and get my armies rolling. I have space right beside the War Chamber ready, so this should be easy, right?

Well, can someone remind me what I forgot to do before this point? Something that I'm going to realize very shortly?

Now, the first step in building an army is getting a Hero to lead them. This uses up a Peasant and costs 100 Gold.

Heroes are Knights on Horseback, and have 50 Health by default. Each soldier in their army grants an additional 10 HP. You can recruit soldiers once they are built at the Barracks by clicking on the "Recruit" button while adjacent to said barracks.

Well, here's the thing. The game likes to escalate attacks. In this case, we have two boats of Vikings coming my way. Fortunately, I have a Hero and more defenses, but still no walls. I can handle this.

Ohhh! Pretty! Whales show up in the water off the map edge, and are just there to look good. There's no mechanical effect for them. Yet. I know there are requests for the game to include fisheries as an alternate food source, but I have seen nothing come of those yet.

Aaaaannddddd.... this is where I realize I've made a large mistake. You see, I need and want to build an army to deal with the Vikings. And Soldiers need Armaments. Armaments require a Blacksmith. Blacksmiths require Charcoal (which I have), and IRON.

Here's my Iron.

Do you see the problem?

You don't get to see me banging my head against my desk for a couple minutes. Well, I have static defenses that should be able to hold, and I can throw my Hero into the mix if I need to.

A very long road to be built, a Stockpile, and an Iron Mine. This is going to take time to build and get in motion, so it won't happen during this update.

This Viking Army (one of two), has its own Hero (the big guy), and 9 soldiers, for a total of 140 HP.

And there's two of them.

When a Viking Army is destroyed, their ships sink. It's a pretty nice detail actually.

And I leave you here with an image of my slowly developing Iron Mines. I have plans for this, but they won't come to fruition until next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Used to be that you could walk off an island and stymie the Vikings more or less. I see that is completely impossible now!

What sort of thing is a minor boon? Hmm... Can you rename the heroes and peasants? I don't remember.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the offer of a boon, but I'm just happy we're arming our citizens and sending them out to slay the fae. And the vikings and dragons too I guess, as minor a threat as they pose in comparison.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

What sort of thing is a minor boon? Hmm... Can you rename the heroes and peasants? I don't remember.

I should be able to. Want to be someone in particular?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Thanks for the offer of a boon, but I'm just happy we're arming our citizens and sending them out to slay the fae. And the vikings and dragons too I guess, as minor a threat as they pose in comparison.

Got to practice before going for the big enemies!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After a point I couldn't build enough walls, towers, and soldiers to not get rolled by a constant stream of Vikings. It was pretty fun. :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I want a dragon named after me!

Guessing that can't be done though.

Hm. Can I be a Hero? Let's see me get immediately incinerated in the most pathetic way possible.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If you wanna boon me then name some guy Ahab, and imagine him being the one behind the posts asking for whale fishing being implemented.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
For my boon, I ask that you cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... with..... A HERRING!

Barring that, just name something cool after me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The invasion warnings are new to the game. It used to be several viking ships just show up with a little text telling you to expect visitors.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

berryjon posted:

I should be able to. Want to be someone in particular?

Got to practice before going for the big enemies!

I don't reckon we have bees in the game, so name a tax collector for me if you would! And please advise me when I'm kidnapped or die of plague, though I suspect that would be hard so don't sweat over it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'll name you guys, don't worry.

Now, some screenshots for the next update have been released. Walls will be able to be stacked with, or serve as, Aqueducts. In addition, Gardens can now be built, which seem to act as roads, and small happiness boosters.

That's the problem with LPing games in development. So much fun stuff comes out while you're working!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Exterior aqueduct walls seem like an invitation to the forces of chaos.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hey everyone and welcome back!

You know, this is probably going to be my shortest LP ever, but that's alright. I wanted to do something lightweight and fun to get back into the swing of things. And Kingdoms and Castles certainly deliver in that regard.

So, last time I left off, I realized that I was nowhere near where I wanted to be with Iron. Namely, I had none and needed lots. So, to alleviate that problem, I started to build this long road out to the only Iron deposit on the map. Now, the problem with this location is that it's far away from my existing stockpiles, so it takes time to move resources back and forth to build things. Which is annoying as all get out.

You can see here that I have a large Stockpile, my first Iron Mine, and a small tower under construction here. An isolated section like this will require its own defenses.

In the summer of 47, this dragon approaches from an angle that makes it irrelevant to my issues.

Winter 49, and with the Iron Mine working, I set up construction of my first Blacksmith and a Gate. The Stockpile you see here is finished and is set to accept only Iron, Tools and Armaments. No Stone or Wood.

The Gate is also placed where it is to act as an anchor point for the first serious wall set I'm going to put up.

Now, while the Blacksmith was being built, I was accumulating Iron, and I set all the other stockpiles to stop accepting Coal. Well, I left one for the use of the housing back in town. You can see here the graphical representation of all the Iron and Charcoal. I really do love those little touches.

The plan at this point is to get ten Tools, ignoring armaments, and then clearing out the rocks at the end of the road to put down a second Iron mine. After that, I can switch to full production of both resources and set up a second blacksmith.

Also, Walls being build section by section as I get enough Stone.

And the true brilliance of my planning - I've dismantled the old Barracks, and set up a second one here, right beside the source of armaments. This saves me some money, as well as recovering some of the resources used in the building of the first Barracks.

Two dragons in Summer 55. That's not nice, and they set some fired before they go down.

While the farms will burn and get rebuilt, the tower is technically on fire. But only the archery top to it. The stone tower itself is immune to fire and does not need to be rebuilt. Thankfully throwing water at the base of the stone structure helps put out the fire at the top of it.

Spring 56, and I finish clearing out the rocks in my way and I keep expanding the walls. The neat thing about them is that you get the slightly oversized edges on the corners as well as wherever your start and endpoints are.

Winter 57, and with an imminent Viking attack, I start to build an army. I recruit 9 soldiers from the general population, taking away from my Idle citizen numbers. I will run my General down here to gather them up once they're constructed. Each soldier costs 5 gold and 2 Armaments, and unlike my comment from last update, will increase the HP of the army they are in by five - not ten.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.....

I have no army. One Ballista, which isn't meant for fighting Vikings, and the walls aren't complete. I could loose everything here! SHITE!

So I send my doomed hero/general/army out to buy time by delaying one, possibly two Viking armies. I'm doomed. They're doomed. I screwed up and should have advanced more carefully, building out toward this spot first, rather that making the huge leap.

I haven't even built any stone streets yet either!

Two Iron mines on fire, as well as the Well. Wait. How does a well catch fire?

Here is my brave general forming a delaying action. When two armies meet, they start to deduct HP from each other in equal measure. The larger of the two survives. It's simple, but that's alright. Also, combat is simulated by having all the little army figures hop up and down, and when the HP drops low enough, they start falling over like pegs.

It's cute in action, and I really need to sort out my problems converting an AVI to a gif.

Things that were on fire no longer are, and those that weren't on fire now are. My general is dead, but he delayed long enough for the Ballista to finish off one army. The last two are headed into town, where my more effective defenses will take care of them.

I am very confused. Those are pieces of a dead dragon from the last attack they made. Why are they being collected by my stockpile workers?

These guys are collecting food.

Are....

Are they collecting Dragon Meat?

Is that a thing now?

I know that there were requests for something along the line made on the Discord channel for the game. But I didn't see an update to implement it.

What?

Seriously?

Anyone?

Sir Jeremias is my new General/Hero/Viking stabber. He will have a big army!

I also realized that I don't need to man the ballista's full time. I can turn them off between attacks, get those guys doing something productive and not worry about paying them which allows me to get more gold faster!

Sir Jeremias with his escort of nine Army dues. Alas, stacking them all on one tile gets to be annoying for the engine, as they keep bouncing around, rather than staying put.

Man, there is a lot of Stone over this way. I think I should start developing it to build more walls faster. After I kill these dragons.

The walls around Army town are finished. It's time to build up the corners for the defenses.

Winter 70, and there are now 26 soldiers in the army. You can only put 20 into a Tile, so the next six start on the next tile behind the General.

I hope that's enough.

Spring 71, and I start to set down the next level of Walls. Each level adds to the HP of the total, so higher is better.

Dragons attack. Fires start. Dragons die. Fires put out.

Four Viking Longboats this time! Great. They also approach town from the forest side, meaning my army is well away from where they need to me. Move it, guys!

At least there are plenty of towers to deal with them for now.

Here, Sir Jeremias (I can't rename him, sorry Goons) is tangling with two Viking armies with the support of all the local towers. And winning!

My screenshots end here for this session. I beat back this attack.

Next time, I think I will look into some better fortifications, build a couple buildings that I haven't yet, and perhaps, if we're unlucky, deal with some more advanced foes.

Man, I really do love how chill and relaxed this game is, even when I'm scrambling to keep up with the latest disaster!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

There won't be much this update, as I'm going to focus a bit on the last two enemies.

And now I realize that I forgot to built a couple buildings! Oh well, there's still the Hard Mode game to do that.

I never did show the game load screen, so here it is! I'm putting up "City of Goons, Year 75"

Augmenting my defenses around my training center, I start putting up more Ballista. This is the range put out by one on top of a 5 tile Tower.

I also need more stone. Lots of it, so I chop out this path for a road to the next two Stone sources.

Once the woods are cleared, I spend all that wood lying around to build a road out here, three Quarries, and a Stone Remover for the spot I want to put the fourth Quarry. This will increase my stone production by 100%!

Uh... that's a lot of Plague going around. Why aren't my Doctors doing anything? Or maybe because there's only six of them and I should look into building a second hospital.

On the bright side, it looks like the Unhappiness malus due to plague is capped at -50. Thanks developers! That's nice!

You know, I don't need these guys between attacks. Go get regular jobs you slackers!

I decide to build the Waterwheel/Noria in this space between the Farms and my new Quarries. Now, something I haven't shown off is that you can rotate structures. Mostly is a cosmetic choice, but for the Noria, it's important as you have to have the wheel itself in the water for it to work.

Like so!

And in Spring of 79, we get our newest enemy!

Meet the Dragon I've been asked to call "Trogdor"! It's red, not Orange, larger than a regular dragon and....

It's breath attack is HUGE! Thankfully, this shot only connected with three Farms, but the AI for the citizens are still programmed to fight all fires, even ones that aren't actually burning any structures.

Also, thank goodness it's raining.

Have you ever seen anything so beautiful?

Actually, yes! :)

First Reservoir up here, to help later, rather than now. Don't worry! I have a plan! And step one will be to call it "Dragon Poison Well!"

And here is the Dragon's Blood Bathhouse! Well away from my residential area, but it will get rid of 10 Unhappieness just by existing even if it doesn't provide a direct benefit to my houses.

Build a second Waterwheel to help funnel water to the second Resevoir.

Lots of houses, and a second Town Center as I've reached the extent of my existing one.

And here is my current town!

Year 90, and what the heck are those?!?!?

Meet the Ogre, the super-Viking. This bad boy can demolish Walls with aplomb, but is stymied by Moats. Which I still haven't built. :sigh:

For example, this Ballista tower had 3 HP, and got demolished in one hit. Yeugh! But I suppose its a nice way to keep players from simply turtling up behind multiple layers of walls for their defense.

You know what? That feels like that's it for this city. I'll start the next game on Hard Mode, and I will invoke my winners requests for playing the my little contest earlier.

See you then!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That was one big dragon. :stare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The baddies keep getting bigger. Jeez.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Excellent! My dithering and waiting have borne fruit!

The next update will include the "Beauty Update"! Gardens! Aqueducts through walls! MORE DRAGONS! And miscellaneous updates and tweaks to the game.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
More dragons?

More dragons!!!

I'm excited to see the new content.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hey everyone, and welcome back! It's been a while for those not reading the archives, but certainly for those on the forums.

Today's update comes to you courtesy of the Garden and Fountain update for the game. This is a minor update for the most part, introducing a couple of new building to the games - the titular Garden and Fountains. There's also another one which I won't build this update because I'm going to be on Easy Mode, and all it does is attract Dragons.

This is my island today. I'm going to be starting to the right side form this shot, with the two fertile patches squaring off with the barren section. Sources of Trees, Stone and Iron are present, which means this is actually a nice spot! And the cove will provide fresh water for the Noria later on.

In celebration of the new update, here is the name of the new Kingdom!

Two things of note here. I once again mess up initial keep placement by one tile, wasting farm space on roads later on.

But the other, more important thing is that the G+F update has done a few 'quality of life' improvements to the game. Most of them are mechanical, tweaking unhappieness for the most part, but the most obvious one is the construction menu at the bottom of the screen. Thanks to feedback from the players, they made a few changes to where certain buildings are, and optimized the menu for better feedback and information.

Another QoL improvement in the game is that when you construct a building, the game will outline in a thick white line where you can put that building, which is usually 3 tiles away from a road. It's very convenient.

The Town tab now includes all of your basic buildings.

And the renamed 'Advanced Town' tab has the new buildings in it. The rest are effectively unchanged, but everything is presented better in motion.

I'm going to be skipping ahead a lot in this update. I only took 32 screen shots in total for crying out loud, and the above is number 11! Anyway, I just wanted to show off how I'm playing this city so far. I'm aggressively replacing Hovels with Cottages as the stone comes in, and they will get replaced by Manors as soon as I get to the point were Tax Collectors start working.

Seriously. Don't be afraid to knock down old buildings to make way for the new. Eventually, I'm going to get rid of that well to lay down new roads.

WHAT? Why is my Keep on fire? How is that possible? Thankfully that Well is right there, so it doesn't burn down.

Now, it's the Summer of Year 21 and I've finally gotten enough resources to build Gardens. They have only a minimal cost in terms of Wood and Stone, enough that by the time you have the rather large monetary investment required for them, you can afford the more material requirements with ease.

Now, Gardens have a few special properties. The first is that they generate happiness in a small radius around them. This is normal for a lot of buildings, but what makes them special is that while they generate 3 Happiness by default, this increases by 1 for every adjacent Garden on the Cardinal directions! So, for a square of four Gardens, they will each produce 7 Happiness in their radius. They also produce more happiness if they are irrigated by a Noria/Reservoir combo.

Here is your basic garden. You can see the white line indicating where I can put it, as well as its radius of effect.

Now, sharp-eyed readers might look at that and see that there is a little pathway down the middle of the Garden. And that is true!

Gardens count as Roads for movement purposes. And, more vitally, you can put Gardens onto Roads.

Like so. Because of this, Gardens-on-roads are excellent ways to provide happiness to nearby housing, and the adjacency bonus works quite nicely!

Now, there is one problem though. Stone Roads and Garden Roads are exclusive to each other. You can't have both on the same tile. From my practice, I tend to put Stone Roads down for resource tracks, such as to and from Storage locations, while Garden Roads get put up around my homes.

Another thing to note is that Gardens will change their shape and presentation depending on what other Gardens are around them. Here, you can see the four Garden Roads in a row start to form a nice pathway along them.

But I'm not done with them yet. There's still one more upgrade to go onto Gardens.

(Note to self - check if Garden Roads are compatible with Aqueducts running along them and not over them.)

Something I also figured out in this game is that Bathhouses are not an 'end point' for Water being distributed by Noria. It can also extend the water system!

Of course, I now have fresh water flowing from the cove into the Bath House, which is then pumped into the reservoir for irrigation on the farmlands. Is that even safe or sanitary?

Now, the other new building is the Fountain. Coming in 1x1 tile and 2x2 tile varieties, the Small Fountain costs 25 Gold and Stone, unlike the cost of the large fountain here. Both provide water like a well, but with happiness to boot. However, they have to be constructed on Irrigated land to work.

This isn't irrigated land, past me! I wind up fixing that later.

So, so you see something odd here?

I mentioned that Irrigation affects how the Gardens, and here you can see that visually. An Irrigated Garden will provide an additional +1 Happiness, and start to sprout flowers to go with the green plants. It's actually quite pretty!

Fixed that 'lack of irrigation' problem. Now, for something even more fun!

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Garden of Goons! Who cares if it's horribly inefficient in terms of space used and optimized location. It's beautiful.

Oh, and Aqueducts can now be placed inside of walls as well. So, that's something.

Join me next time when I start out on Hard Mode.

Joy.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Now this I'm interested to see. I've never actually played this game with any of the enemies on, cause I just like to build fancy cities.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That last garden looks really nice. It's a cool update, I enjoy making my towns prettier in city building sims, more decorative options are always welcome. And these even have real gameplay benefits!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I didn't expect a simple city sim game to have gardens to sprout flowers when watered.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
This game has some nice little touches!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

So, with the holiday weekend up here in Canada, I figure I'm going to stream some KnC on Saturday for you guys just so you can see stuff in motion because the game is really pretty.

https://www.twitch.tv/berryjon , at about Noon Mountain Time. Hope to see you there!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

berryjon posted:

So, with the holiday weekend up here in Canada, I figure I'm going to stream some KnC on Saturday for you guys just so you can see stuff in motion because the game is really pretty.

https://www.twitch.tv/berryjon , at about Noon Mountain Time. Hope to see you there!

There's no VOD. :negative:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

There's no VOD. :negative:

I only had one watcher for most of the game, and after two hours, I was just getting tired.

So, once I get off my lazy rear end, I will show off the new things in the game! Wolves and Witches!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hello everyone! As part of the Halloween Update in 2018, this game received a small update that was themed to the season, which would be the titular Witches, Graveyards and a Wolves. So this update will cover these new mechanics!

See! Told you that's what's up!

And here we have today's city. I'll eventually run out of punny names, but for now, you all get to suffer with me.

Anyway, on every map there are now generated 2-5 "Caves", such as these:

These are the spawn points for Wolves, and I'll cover those in more detail later. But for now, know that they exist, and act like any normal unworkable stone tile.

Each map now comes with a single "Witch's Hut", a 1 tile terrain piece that you can click on every so often to talk to the Witch that resides within. I haven't even put down my keep yet, so I can't knock on her door! So, let's get to it, shall we?

Here we have the first two new buildings in this update. The Cemetery and the Caretakers. The latter requires 3 people to staff properly, and Cemeteries come in four 'arrangements', which I will show in a moment.

Now, how this works is that when one of your peasants dies, they generate a small unhappiness malus until they are buried in a Graveyard. This doesn't stack with the 'Deaths from Plague" malus, but is there to account for random deaths such as from accidents and from old age.

Like the Gardens, when I get around to building them, the Cemetaries have expanding boundaries as you put down more tiles.

The Clinic isn't part of the official update, but rather a building added to the game in response to player feedback. You see, people didn't tend to build a hospital until after their first plague, as it was simply too expensive to construct and keep up. So, the Clinic was added to the game as an early Hospital. Much cheaper, but it also only has two Doctors.

So, clicking on the Witch's Hut brings up this window. You see, you choose when you start interacting with the Witch. She won't start it. So if you don't want to talk to her, you don't have to!

The Witch will have requests for you, as well as a certain time frame to complete them. You can absolutely refuse, but doing so annoys her, which is bad. Agreeing makes her happy! This request is for 15 food, and honestly, I can afford that right off the bat.

Wait.

How does one woman eat that much?

Here is her after sending her food. You can't ask more of her until a certain amount of time has passed, but for now, she'll be done her breakfast in 8 years.

What is she? A Hobbit?

One of the small changes made was to make the "!" above your castle less obtrusive, yet also more visible. So now it's a Pink "!". I, uh, don't know about that.

Also, check out that Stone. Isn't it beautiful?

Another thing to note is that the balance of Food has changed. Now it is as I said it was initially, 2 Food per person per year, instead of 1. This means that you'll need to focus more on food production in the early game, rather than running as thin a margin as you used to.

Also in time for the holiday, the Town Center now has Pumpkins! I wonder if that will change for Christmas?

Just wanted to show off my town 8 years in, as well as point out that when the Witch wants to talk to you - or rather, when the cooldown on her last request is done, she'll put a nice colored notice into your message scroll.

I forgot to screencap it, but this time she wanted some wood to feed her fire. I didn't have enough on hand, so I chopped some for her, and by winter, I had enough.

And here's the benefit to being nice to the Witch. You can pay her money to fix a problem for you. Peasants starving because all your farms got flooded out and the Vikings torched your granaries? Well, for 1 gold per person, she can provide them all with a year's worth of food!

And things will get better from here!

In Winter 14, she wants more wood, so I provide. I have two fully-staffed Foresters at this point, so that's only 1/4 of my yearly production. Not a hard sell. Let's see what she gives us in return...?

Now she can cure the Plague for you! For a cost, of course.

Something that has happened many times before, but I've never pointed out, is that your keep improves and gets bigger as you build certain buildings. The first of which is the Treasury, which gives our Keep proper walls, a second flag, but no improved storage. Not that you'd need it at this point.

I'm also building a Clinic in this shot, so once it's built, let's have a look at it....

GET ME MY ADVISORS!!!!

WHY IS THERE A VAMPIRE IN MY CLINIC?

What do you mean he's sanitary? HE'S A BLOOD SUCKING UNDEAD MONSTER!

Because he can't be infected with Plague, which makes him a good Plague Doctor?

Fine.

But if I find any of my peaseants dead under "Mysterious Circumstances", I'm going to remind this ... person that I have a forest full of wooden stakes next door.

As part of a balance pass, Garden Roads were reduced slightly. Now, walking on them is slower than regular roads instead of being the same speed. Still build them around your homes, and Stone Roads for the rest of the town.

Also, it's been revealed that there will be improved transportation options in the next major update! Stone Bridges, Wooden Gates for your wooden palisades and other stuff! Woo!

Spring 26, and the Witch comes a knockin'. I can afford this.

Although I have to wonder... what happens if it's your turn and you're still asleep? How does all that work?

Anyway, here's our reward:

Double Tree Yield is funny, when I get around to showing it off. But for now, know that paying that price doubles all the wood you get from chopping trees - for a time.

:sigh:

Tithing still does nothing. C'mon guys! It should do something!

It's Winter 23, and I decide to put down my Graveyard. Now, here's the thing. Your Gravekeepers come with a free 1 Tile Graveyard beside them. The Game doesn't tell you this, nor does it show the location of said graveyard when trying to lay down the Gravekeeper's accommodations! It's annoying!

Here are the four styles of Graveyard. They hold 9/13/13/16 dead peasants for, I think 25 years before the space can be recycled. Ones with denser graves cost more.

And here, I put down 1 of each to show you all how they look as people die.

Which they don't do. Because I take care of my citizens.

But you know what? I've been putting something off for a while now.

Let's build a Great Hall!

It does nothing! Except take up space, some people to run it, and it also makes our Castle Keep reach Level 3 - the current maximum in the game.

Wait a minute.

Are those Charcoal makers generating light? WAaaaaaaaaaaaat!

While I'm waiting for people to die to fill my graveyard, the Witch looks at my Castle and decides she can do better.

And now she'll kill Vikings for us YESSS!

Here's the completed Great Hall, with some Farmers in the background. Back to Work!

And then I discovered that my only source of Iron on this map was blocked off by Rocks. I need Tools to remove the Rocks, and I need to remove the Rocks to get the Iron. I need the Iron to make the Tools.

See my problem?

Fortunately, there is a solution!

I build a Dock.

Now, I don't think I've explained Docks and shipping yet, so here's how it goes.

Docks operate as Storage places, like Stockpiles or Granaries. Now, because the K&C AI is still a work in progress, I destroyed all my other Stockpiles in order to get everyone to move everything over here for the next part.

You see, when a ship docks at your Dock, they come from another country, and have their own supplies in supply! Which means that you can sell the stuff in your Dock for Gold, then turn around and spend goald to buy new things!

But, you see, it costs more to buy than to sell. CAPITALISM!!!!

I know I need 10 Tools to start Iron Production, and I can well afford it. So, let's just buy those ten tools, and be on my way.

Wait.

THERE WERE ONLY 9 TOOLS ON THAT BOAT!

I have to wait for the next one. And they randomly come. :sigh:

Goodbye Boat. Please come back with more Tools.

Considering you got this far on the last batch of Charcoal, I can part with a measly 23 units.

You read that right. That's her final spell.

Watch in Action here.

Noria have also been tweaked. They now supply 16 tiles of Aqueducts instead of 12, but they cannot be built close together, much like Foresters. I don't mind.

And I finally get a second ship with tools, three years later. :sigh:

Here's the Graveyard starting to fill up. Graves are filled from the tile closest to the Gravekeeper's residence, and this is the 16 Grave tile.

Once her spells are filled out, the only reason to send her gifts is to keep her happy. Letting the timer run out is the same as Refusal, so, eh.

YES! Die for me to fill my Graves!

Also, statue of a Giant Dragon being built. Because I can.

Looks like the recent Plague pushed into the next Grave tile. This one will fill out to be 3x3.

Now, making the Witch happy also makes her spells cheaper, which is nice. But you know, let's fire off that Double Tree Yield.

And so, for the next 45 seconds, all Wood gains are doubled.

Real life seconds. Set your game speed to MAX for this! If you pause, the timer runs down. Alt-Tab out? Timer runs down. Take a screenshot? Timer Runs Down.

I chop trees with all my available people, and it was fun.

There is also a cooldown between spell castings to prevent abuse.

4x4, 3x3, and the Diamond formation are here. All that's left is to fill out the Circle. But it won't happen this game, sorry.

And rejecting or letting a Witch's request expire results in her friendliness meter dropping a point, and she won't talk to you for a while.

So, Wolves.

Wolves spawn in around Empty Caves as the game progresses, and they 'patrol' around in a two tile radius. There are 10-15 wolves in a pack, and they have 5 HP each. They will attack non-Forrester peasants that get close, and can be fought off by Soldiers, or Archery Towers. They're a nuisance for expansion, but not a serious threat, which is how it should be for an enemy meant to come before Vikings!

And here's Wolves and Witches in close proximity. With the Wolves running away. All is right in the world!

Now hopefully the next update will come before the next time the game is updated. :)

berryjon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 20, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Pumpking festival!!

I like most of these new features, I think. The graveyard mechanic is basically like Banished’s, though the cemeteries aren’t staffed in that game. I don’t know if any other previous town builders really handled individual unit deaths on that level.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We must burn the witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I really need to get back to playing this, I'm like 3 updates behind.