Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
I've seen this on Steam before but I really hate buying into Early Access games so I ignored it. Reading through the thread makes me think it's totally worth the 20 bux though. I'm excited to fight bugmens for sweet katanas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linall
Feb 1, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

I bought this late last year as it seems right up my alley. I know a lot of folks compare it to Mount and Blade but I actually get Dwarf Fortress vibes - specifically what DF's Adventure Mode will eventually be

I played it for a bit and tried to steal from some unguarded barrels on the roof of an inn. Somehow the guards outside "saw" me like the psychic guards from Oblivion and I uninstalled the game shortly after. It was an overreaction, but at the time it felt so contrary to the rest of the game's design

Maybe I got unlucky or it was a bug. I really want to go back to it some day

The analogy to Dwarf Fortress can certainly be made, but the M&B comparison ( start as one guy, level up, recruit more people and slowly take over and build up parts of the world ) is really strong. DF combat is certainly more similar to Kenshi than M&B is though.

Anyway, picked this up yesterday. I didn't have a ton of time to put into it but I quite like what I've played so far. I am curious about faction relations though. Obviously attacking/stealing from factions will drop faction relation but how do you actually build them up? Is there any way to do so aside from hoping to wander across someone from that faction who is hurt?

Also is the only way to up defensive skill to have someone hit you? As near as I can tell training dummies only seem to raise attack skill ( which makes sense I suppose) but I just wanted to make sure.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
So at some point I decided to gently caress off from the homey little shack I purchased in the Hub on a long tour of the area to the north. Spent most of my time running from things, so I didn't accomplish that much but when I returned a fair amount had changed. The rebel base to the north was completely de-populated, but all the loot had been left in place. Stripping the place and selling most of weapons and drinks has been a fairly huge boost to my personal economy. The Hub itself has lost most of it's ninja guards and it fairly routinely occupied by dust bandits. Luckily the tower and the bar both have a few left, so if I pick a fight I can't handle backup is still available.

No idea what happened to the bulk of the ninja population though. Given how easily they gently caress up the bandits ( both starving and dust ) and escaped slaves who get uppity I'm really confused as to what could have done away with them. I did find a few other ninja factions in my travels up north so I like to fantasize the Hub ninjas are off on some sort of pilgrimage.

On an related note there is a safe in the rebel base that I can't attempt to lockpick at my current level. I'm debating joining the thieves den so I can get lockpicking up to 20 via the training safe. Anyone know if that will let me attempt to lockpick the safe?

linall fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 11, 2018

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'll happily embed some in the first post if you friends have good ones.

I think I finally found a place where I want to set up my base, so I'll snap a few screen shots when I'm in the process of doing that tonight.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

So how does importing work? Do you get your characters and buildings to day 1?

Also, what's all that stuff in the prospecting window?

As near as I can tell it's just your current assets ( money/buildings/people/inventories ) dropped into a new game. I've only done it the once in order to reset my game state for mods though.

Re Prospecting: http://kenshi.wikia.com/wiki/Prospecting

I visited Mongrel last night. I was under impressed by the supposed difficulty of it though. I only had to fight one group of Fogmen ( which, granted, was 15-18 guys probably ) before being able to find my way to the back entrance. I'm excited to go out the front and pick a fight with a prince tonight though.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

linall posted:

I visited Mongrel last night. I was under impressed by the supposed difficulty of it though. I only had to fight one group of Fogmen ( which, granted, was 15-18 guys probably ) before being able to find my way to the back entrance. I'm excited to go out the front and pick a fight with a prince tonight though.

Front gate of Mongrel trip report: Much more satisfying. Attacks on the gate are 20 - 30 assorted Fogmen and the roaming patrols are up to a minimum of 20 Fogmen. Accidentally assaulted a Deadhive while trying to get into Obedience and faced 50 - 60 Fogmen at least. Then on the way back to Mongrel to lick my wounds the group came across a patrol of at least a hundred Fogmen. Luckily they were booking it over to another Deadhive to respond to an incursion from some of Mongral's guards or I imagine the whole group would've ended up on some Prince or another's table.

My new friend Beep lost an arm in the fight with the Deadhive and I'm now pondering buying him a shiny new robot arm. On one hand, robot arm but on the other I do find the idea of a one armed martial-artist hiver very compelling.

Overall has been a lot of fun. Would Mongrel again.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

ElBrak posted:

Get the mod that boosts gate health, its way way to low for you to fight off raids early on.

Not to mention that something about a closed gate seems to attract every roaming squad that passes within a 50 mile radius of your walls. It's really obnoxious.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

is there any way to make the camera not horrific because i'm really into every other aspect

Not as far as I've seen. It's really too bad. Fighting with the camera makes some of the more interesting environments not a ton of fun to visit.

linall fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 2, 2018

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Carcer posted:

I bought a babby house, but its fine because now I have space for more stuff.

I've got 5 guys now. 2 of them are mining copper full time, 1 is making bandannas when fabric is available and the other is researching. the last one floats and either does resource runs to other towns or shuttles copper to the bar to sell.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I haven't really explored because everything is so dangerous.

If you drop 10k on the Thieves you can train a bunch of skills ( Attack, Lockpicking and Assassination I think? ). Otherwise you just want to research up to cages, build one and then wait for the guards to beat someone up so you can imprison them for use as a punching bag.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

dogstile posted:

That's holy nation territory, the skeleton is a no go, they'll straight up attack if they see them. If you have a male greenlander, you can convince the guards that the hiver and the shek (i don't actually know if shek are a problem) are your slaves.

Shek definitely are. Also you can get through the conscription events by having a male greenlander but occasionally they will say they are taking them to work in the mines near Blister Hill and there didn't seem to be any peaceful way through that I could find. Which sucks because otherwise Okran's Pride would be like the perfect place for an early base. Honestly it might be if you can get by with just greenlanders. Unfortunately half my party was Shek at that point, so that base had to be abandoned.

edit: Do Bonedogs only eat raw meat? I suppose it would make sense, but I can feed my Garru protein cubes and those weird meat tubes, which seems pretty counter to the whole being a herbivore thing.

linall fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 6, 2018

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Agean90 posted:

u should keep a supply of liquor around so they get drunk and pass out, then sneak back in at night and attack them in their sleep

I have no idea by if that's possible but it should be

As far as I know the player can't actually consume alcohol. Not sure if it's any different for NPCs but I would be surprised.

dogstile posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that their doesn't seem to be a way to send mercs to defend the outpost of your choosing if you have multiple, so tonight before I leave i'm going to be reimporting the game and leaving the buildings option ticked off.

I assume if I chuck everything I own on my characters I should be able to keep it all right?

I think there is a mod for the outpost thing? Dunno if it's still up to date though.

As for the second, yes. But I'd save just before you import just in case.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
I started training a Beep as a martial artist after one of the fogmen chopped his arm off. I know that from a stats point of thinking I should probably go back to Mongrel and get him a kickass prosthetic, but a one armed martial arts bugman is just so amazingly cool that I don't wanna.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that happened to me once and i couldn't work out why, but every other time it's been fine

i think it might be if you make an aggressive action towards the beak thing? maybe their faction isn't totally hostile to the hivers or something

I remember reading on the wiki that the Hivers don't fight Beak Things anymore unless they are directly attacked. No idea if that information is up to date though.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Mr. Pool posted:

Running to hivers for help still works for me? But it could still be right, beak things attack everything immediately around them, not hard to get them to aggro on some drones.

I can't say I've gone west to find out but this reasoning makes sense to me. I'll have to give it a look see after I stop procrastinating and hike back to Mongrel to pick up the artificial legs my crew needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linall
Feb 1, 2007

buglord posted:

Yeah im getting there. I just have to convince the wasteland that I'm not just another butthole. Most of my camp is made up of flotsam ninjas, and we're eventually gonna liberate Rebirth and murder our way through it all.

I also managed to capture the Cannibal Grand Wizard (after chopping his arm off in a fight) and got a sweet bounty for turning him. However, days later I found him back at the Cannibal Capital, still with his shackles on him. I dunno if the game teleported him there, or he somehow managed to escape prison and work his way back home. I karate'd him into a coma, ran him all the way across the map, and fed him to skin spiders.

Does this game have any sort of missions/goals? I get its a sandbox, but I would like to be able to topple one faction from power and install another, have cities change ownership, things like that. I'm a little concerned that things will remain static, aside from me adding a small base in Cannibal land.I feel like there's a chunk of the game missing, but maybe im not far along enough to see the rest? I don't really have a good indication of what I can do to "progress" and what's just immersive fluff. But also I dunno if I can complain when I spent $18 and got 48 hours of playtime so far.

As I understand it the world reacting to what you do is one of the last things keeping the game from being feature complete. There is a mod ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1358096888 ) that supposedly builds some of this in ( weaken one faction, another grows in power ) but I can't say I've thrown my weight around to the point where I've noticed anything changing in my game.