Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a reactionary piece of me that thinks its utterly infuriating your first character starts with dipshit stats. But I realize the errors of my ways and that it is awesome because getting captured by slavers and getting the poo poo kicked out of you until you are a badass, or forcing Hobbes to mine copper while he watches you and a captured bandit karate fight in the nude, is art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

a7m2 posted:

I don't know if it also happens when you chain them, but if you throw a guard in a jail cell and the other guards notice, they turn him into a slave. It's extremely exploitable so I'm not doing it in my current game but in my old game I pretended it's because the shame of them failing their jobs so badly is the reason they need to be worked to death and reborn.
"Hey you there! You gotta help! Some slave locked me up here!"
"That's exactly what an escaping slave would say."
"But we've patrolled together. We've slept next to each other!"
"How do I know you didn't forget your copy of the Holy Flame in the dresser one day and got sentenced to slavery"
"You were gone for 5 minutes!"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Coolguye posted:

can someone give me a couple of paragraphs in a quickstart guide? I picked this game up last summer and was completely confused as to how to get any traction at all, trying to get back to it now but I’m kind of running into the same problem where I spawn pretty much naked and starved and I have no idea how to start doing the scut work that you have to start with in these sorts of games.
Your first goal is to grab some free manpower like Hobbs or such. Hobbs is usually at the Hub. Unless you expand your headcount way the hell out you don't need to worry about food yet, you can buy enough dried meat with copper mining or train some goats or garrus into guards and cook their meat for your own source.

You've got a couple of different next steps from here.

If you can stand the tedium, use yourself and Hobbs to mine copper near the Hub or Squin for 10k cats to join the shinobi in the hub. Joining the shinobi as early as possible is pretty awesome and you can pay it off and more if you do stuff like run drugs from the swamp to the northeast (this is also tedious but you get to see the world and get eaten by swamp denizens unlike static copper mining). After joining the shinboi you can use their assasinate training dummy to get enough skill to knock out a sparring partner from dust bandits or starving bandits. Now you can spar with them, carry them back and forth from Squin to the hub for strength. Since you have two people one guy can always hold him while another sleeps. While you or the sparring partner are healing, mine copper or roam about figuring out trade routes, looting vacant sites.

If you want instant action, or eventually you will come to this step even in the tedium grind above, start chasing down hungry bandits and making the entire group kick your rear end. Your goal is to get enough toughness that eventually you can stand back up in the middle of a bunch of hungry bandits solo. So one guy hides somewhere nearby, one guy runs up in the middle and hits them until they themself go down. If you can get back up, do it. If not let the bandits leave and your hiding guy can come apply first aid and throw you into a bed or sleeping bag. Solo standing up in the middle of hungry bandits can get you like 5 or 10 toughness levels at a time depending on how much they outnumber you. As you get a decent amount of toughness on a few folks you can now just actually take the bandits down and that will be good for weapon skill ups now.

As you gain cash, you can get more domestic. Buy a medium sized house in Hub or Squin, add research bench and get copper storage. Now you can automate copper mining and set a guy or two doing it with minimum oversight of your own. Worlds your oyster from here - keep a small domestic base in an existing town to fund and heal up teams that go roaming about, or save up and fill a pack garru with enough stuff to build a settlement guarded by mercs you hire 2 days at a time while your regulars get some turret training.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mining is good when your vitals are half falling out and healing and you are watching TV. Or else when you have it set up to be automatic.

Coolguye posted:

if I missed this I’m sorry but I don’t think anyone answered my other question: is there some sort of skill cap on a specific character or if I somehow made a perfect training regimen could one dude be omnicompetent?
The biggest limits are time investment and gear micromanagement instead of hard caps but I think people have plumbed the depths of the most hazardous zones with a solo character. Its just easier in the long run to train and equip a dozen or two average samurai with a spread of skills and equipment to handle the different types of fights or environmental hazards you would see on your way around the world.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Slave is more fun when you know what you're doing.

Also there's no such thing as a main character, the original lone survivor is out of commision for a while and now you are Hobbs or rando fuckwit #22 that you've recruited.

Combine these two ideas: when you are ready to live life as a slave, growing more powerful with each beating: you can recruit a new guy, pick him up, deposit him in a slave merchant, and now you have a guy on the inside getting his rear end kicked on the Holy Nation dime.

e. honestly haven't done the above myself and it occurred to me it may do something funny with the guy's faction if you sell him by putting him in the cage yourself, in which case just leave him passed out on the merchants door step.

I hope not and they pay you and then you do a ringer escape with experienced dudes you sell into slavery as a plant.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 31, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dark UI feels mandatory.

In-Game Biome Map is also either mandatory or an unfathomable spoiler

Everything else is a bridge you can cross after you have some context with the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Coolguye posted:

i feel like i've gotten the hang of the game in general but even on my really very powerful machine it runs like corrugated butthole. all i'm doing is running a liquor trading ring across a few regions and stealing poo poo and i still drop down to 3 FPS pretty often. i think i'll let this game have another 6 months in the oven to hopefully get some optimizations, or at the very worst to let computers beat the pants off of its requirements a little more, because man is it hard to play like this.
If its random framerate crashes have you turned shadows off? That's the usual culprit.

If its chunk loading (loading bar appears top right) there's settings you can fiddle with to load more chunks at once and keep chunks loaded for all squads but its not smart enough to cap it off before you load more than you have space for and the thing crashes. Assume an SSD also helps with this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is locking prisoners in a cage and letting them out for daily beatings really the best way to level combat? It is definitely effective but it takes so long and is kind of boring.

I would send my dudes out to fight random mobs but they generally get their assess kicked. Which is kind of the point, but I also have said mobs just kind of hang around my dudes as they bleed out in the sand. I had to save scum when a bunch of dudes raided my outpost and took my guys down, but I couldn't rescue them because every dude has one or two strong enemies just staring at their comatose bodies as they bled out.

Not looking to be instantly powerful, but training people up from low stats is a nightmare. This game is crying out for a sparring option.
I'm realizing the sparring prisoners is just the most hands off. It's like the copper mining of skill gain.

Toughness really takes off when you can stand up near enemies and while you can eventually capture enough prisoners to do this from the comfort of your home, it's easier early on to roam around looking for hungry bandits, and kill two birds with one stone by doing this while you take sellable goods to market or visit an equipment store to rob them blind. Once you have toughness your armor starts actually working and you can get weapon skills before succumbing to 4 whacks of an iron bar and sooner than you know it you have a perfectly mediocre samurai or ninja.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Coolguye posted:

how precisely do you attempt to stand up with wounds because i feel like i'm doing that part wrong
When you get KOd there's a timer that counts down. Once it's counted down and your vitals are not below your KO point and enemies are still around your character will "play dead". Give him a command to fight and he gets up and gains unfathomable amounts of toughness experience depending how bad the situation is. Like 10 levels sometimes.

Need a bit of seed toughness so you just don't instantly go into a coma or take 3 minutes to stand up.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I guess my biggest question is how to make enemies gently caress off once they beat you down rather than corpse camping.
Make sure you're attacking roamers and not a camp/nest other wise yeah maybe try kiting. Force attack makes an enemy psychically connect and agro on you so you can do it relatively risk free with enough athletics.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Buy a house in a town. Town house is your babby step toward a settlement and gives you a safe place to do everything but heavy industry.Vitally it lets you research. Also lets you start automating, which makes it so you can make some poor guy mine copper for you while you run around looking for hungry bandits to apply their rod to your butt for toughness.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was starting to get frustrated base surveying until the Shem discussion earlier and I have to say Shem seems to be a pretty amazing spot. Desert and swamp fertilities with some decent minerals for the price of the occasional beak thing is :discourse:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you don't mind micromanaging you can drop pack for fights so the stats don't matter a whole lot besides like using thieves packs for stealing because you need that extra space while your skill is being checked.

They also don't get large enough to hold the fuckoff large weapons which can make looting them back to a pack animal a logistic drag. I think only large backpacks let a person carry those without using up the primary weapon slot.

In general I guess backpacks are more about how and when you want to micromanage. The generalist problem if you have all thieves backpacks and pack animals is you are competing on inventory squares between both the fuckoff weapons and the trade items, where you could offload trade items to a guy if you had some trader packs.

e. or you have trade goods in the pack animals and have a squire with a large pack who holds and divvies out the large weapons vs cross bows if needed

ee. or maybe my eyes are going crossed and you can just get the large weapons into a large thieves pack?

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 12, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mercs are mediocre samurai. Tech hunters are the badasses but their teams are only like a few dudes for the same price.

In dangerous places, mercs for fodder for your excellent samurai or tech hunters to bolster your excellent samurai.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm dying. Apparently every texture starts at 2024x2024 and is scaled down on load based on setting. I might have to actually play for most of my sessions now instead of read the internet on my phone while chunks load.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Shinobi fence has a -50% trade modifier additive. So things with a regional 100% will get slashed in half 100 - 50 = 50. This is good for cheap ninja gear but sucks selling normal stuff. But the regional trade price for hash in UC regions is 400-700% IIRC so you still sell at 350% for example.

The biggest problem is they don't often have a shitload of money. Flats Lagoon normal vendors buy at an ok mark up so other Tech Hunters might be interested as well to do bulk sales easier.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
PC party runs across one beak thing. This isn't too bad, their attack speed isn't impressive and you can kind of micromanage the AOE. Not believing the hype.
Two more beak things show up. OK, we can still do this, I have enough people with defense or armor or both to tank
One beak thing dies and a pack of 4 shows up for the fresh meat. OK now this is escalating.
Another falls but 3 more show up. Welp better just accept we are lunch.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Containers that aren't yours (not sure more specifically but especially those owned by towns, someone deep into the editor can probably explain better) will respawn contents. Usually used for rotating stock at stores and giving you a reason to burgle faction buildings, but will also eat anything of yours you put into it when it rerolls into something else or nothing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You should be able to find one in any holy nation bar
I see a small problem with that.

Did I say problem? I mean opportunity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Good medium armor is most of what you need but if you don't mind the micromanagement carry a set of heavy armor on the pack animal and switch it in on a guy with taunt if the fight looks like it could benefit from a guy with all his engagement slots filled up or would be trivialized if you funneled all the damage into one guy who is resisting it all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Harrison Bergeron it. Get hungry, encumbered and injure your core.

Alternately time to practice in the real world on things that might give you a fight still.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Obviously you mine with a few guys while a ninja runs around stealing everything and while you wait for shops to respawn you take the whole crew hungry bandits hunting while the ninja hides around the corner.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You train your pack bull to be stealthy too. They won't be ninja stealthy but they don't need to be. They just need to get within gear transfer distance of an ancient tower.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What's the hotkeys for rebuilding nav mesh etc.? Sounds like they are not finding a path to the next job in an expedient manner and you can probably avoid the reload with some of the utility hotkey stuff.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Base ping pong bandits, or bandit corpse campers are usually pathing bullshit again getting them stuck in find-the-food loops. You can remedy with reloads or debug keys.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A UC noble will sell his mother into slavery to outfit his samurais to go peasant hunting but there's a certain might makes right transactional honesty to the situation.

Okranites believe other races are sub human and they are actually helping them become human by working them to death so that the good karma might reincarnate them as a white man.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody gets the pick up body job so everyone can get swole, then if we're getting a little infested by beak things I turn on incinerate job for someone being underutilized.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

juggalo baby coffin posted:

gently caress you, dust bandits, your weapons cannot harm me!
This is the most Kenshi picture I've ever seen. Fully maximized weeabo, funny Kenshi training things, and weird skeleton surrounded by corpses all in one. Should be the first store page picture.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Part of the schtick is you swing once and several targets are now missing the use of limbs or knocked out so the following swing being a little slow won't be a big deal.

For sustained attrition fights against things that won't fold in half when hit with a frag axe, there are better choices. You get a team so it's not like everybody needs a gently caress off frag axe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hentai Jihadist posted:

any must have mods for a first playthrough?

finally got this
Half size texture mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/113

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 27, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

dogstile posted:

First thing I do in this game is find the nearest bandit the guards have pasted and carry him around forever on my shoulders while i explore. SWOLE RIDE *bad humming* TAKE IT EASY...
Same but beak things.

Takes the temptation out of using a person as a backpack and then the corpse disappears during garbage collection taking your stuff with it. Also you drag them by their neck, it's really silly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gadzuko posted:

Does skill training take stat reductions into account? As in, something like a wooden backpack that gives -5 to melee skills, am I training as though I'm 5 levels lower now so that I can get levels off someone less skilled than me? Or does it always go off the base skill? I'm hoping I can basically cripple my guys to get some extra skill points because training past 60+ is a real drag.
Its by effective level so cripple away.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Donkringel posted:

Mongrel is the best place to train crossbows. There is an unwalled section of town that overlooks a trail fogmen path through. Station who you on to train on "ranged" and "hold" and they'll take potshots at any fogmen pathing through. For added fun sometimes it pisses them off and then they charge the gate guards.
Training crossbows, needed but not really the thing holding you back from the crazy good bows.

Training precision shooting, important and best way to do it is to just get into proper staged fights with your bow guys in a ball shooting themselves and your guys in melee.

Once you got precision shooting your next hurdle is actually finding or making enough of the crazy size bolts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Might get this game... can I be part of the holy nation and convert heathens?
By convert heathens, you can kidnap non white people and drop them off as slaves so they might work to death and by doing so be reincarnated as a white Okranite.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Scorchlanders in the Holy Nation seem like poor people in the United Cities. We might not enslave the scorchlanders today, and we might not hunt the poor person today, but that's mostly because we are busy with something else today.

Tan greenlanders don't count.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Blade Runner posted:

I remember discussion about this before, but someone better at the FCS than I am claimed to have checked it and couldn't find anything that differentiates Scorchlanders from Greenlanders in HN dialogue, since it only references humans, which Scorchlanders are.

I could be wrong, since while I couldn't find much, I'm really not great with the FCS.
Yeah I googled it and probably read the same thing you're talking about, most of the important checks are same race and male.

I think it's community propaganda/confusion about the obtuse criminal system combined with the higher ups being greenlanders that lead to the community figuring they hated scorchlanders.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Lone Badger posted:

I tried to have a squad afk mine while my other people explored/stole stuff. Everyone got eaten by a bonedog.
(Not bonedogs plural. One dog.)
Good dog.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Mash posted:

Is this game playable and enjoyable in a Lone Wolf style setting if I really just want to make a single character that does the odd job and fights for survival in a mad max type of world?
Lone wolf is a challenge conduct because you don't have anyone to scrape you off the pavement when you get crushed by a hungry bandits stick, which is the main way you get stats in the early game.

You can eventually become a combat god who can hold their own against groups but it's a ton of grind effort.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tabletops posted:

game crashed and it was back to showing 20% swamp everywhere in fog islands.

crashed again 30 minutes later, now it's showing arid and green only again

I tried to do the farm plot thing, which was useful. It only let me choose Greenfruit though, I needed riceweed to test the swamp biome availability (not sure how to get it). guess I need to research it, probably.
Your science skill is giving different survey sizes for different people, some of which are picking up fertilities in a different area. Biome edges can be really good for this sort of thing, the last knowm Goldilocks zones are at biome edges.

Can't you build every farm in every location, they just unbelievably suck? Sounds like you don't have the crops researched yet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Synthbuttrange posted:

Beep's arm got chopped off in a tax raid. One of my bonedogs grabbed and ate the arm. :v:
Good dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ground floor and open roof and nothing between is basically an interface limitation. Imagine trying to set up production chains in a tower, I'd kill myself.