Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this game is almost nothing like Mount and Blade, where did you even get that idea from lol

Been playing Kenshi for a long time, I go back to it once every couple of months to see the new feature they've added. It's a pretty tight game, very aimless right now but they team is finally finishing up the map and it's pretty big at this point. Essentially it's a squad-based RPG with base-building mechanics. It's pretty brutal, in presentation (think Samurai Mad Max) and mechanics, especially since they added limb removal and recently cybernetics. You'll lose dudes early and often until you get a base up and going.

Also it's super loving janky so be prepared for that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you here. Kenshi features very similar concepts to the overland travel, faction ecosystem and companion recruiting portions present in Warband. Also, whatever "aimlessness" that may come from Kenshi is the same kind of freedom that comes from the late game of Mount and Blade. The late game of Kenshi, especially for me in this current playthrough, feels very similar to a game of M&B. You own towns, you have armies, you've fought and destroyed enemy factions... Feels a lot like Mount and Blade, really. The jankiness and freedom especially.

Though, the beauty of Kenshi is and I understand why you think it's not like Warband, is that you don't have to play it this way, the way I am describing.

Yeah I can see that I guess. Last time I played was before you could actually acquire other towns and have then generate resources for you or fight other factions over their fortresses. I described the "aimlessness" negatively because late-game M&B is my least favorite part lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 9, 2018

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is my boy Infinite Wingwang still in

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hey check out what I've been figuring out how to do:

(nexus)

I added a Clown named Steady to the town of Clownsteady.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Updated Steady

He's a little dirtier and grungier, and now he keeps that thang on him

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're asking what the secret ninja club gets you, in most towns there's a ninja tower, and inside that ninja tower you'll usually find a plastic surgeon to retool your character and a fence in order to sell your stolen goods. As for what to do in general, slowly work your way out of Hub, but stay nearby. The copper mine will get you money. You need to start making pilgrimages to Stack (north-northwest) and Squin (south), and maybe even Bad Teeth (northeast of Stack) and Admag (west of Squin) to get recruits; Sheks are fighty boys and more expensive, Greenlanders are your average joes.

Numbers is the important thing early game if you plan on going a base-building route. You should get someone farming greenfruit ASAP, even though it's really lovely to grow greenfruit around hub. Having a high farming skill is important for self-sustainability. You can also start working on stone mines and refineries in order to get building materials and people's labor stats up. I'd say you should stay near hub until you can take Dust Bandits by yourself.

Be aware that when you start building near hub, it'll establish an Outpost, which means you'll start getting attention from all sorts of unsavory types.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can slowly work your way up to becoming a solo superfucker. Good enough armor, good enough stats and you can start cleaving through stuff. Having good weapons helps a lot early game since it'll let you put down dust bandits and starving bandits faster, to help thin their numbers quickly in a fight.

It's definitely a lot harder, but doable. Use in-town buildings for most of your work, the larger ones will let you have the bigger benches for research and production. You don't really need to worry about food production and all that when you're solo. Having high stealth helps too, start training it and assassination and you'd be surprised at the amount of stuff you can get away with.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

For a while, no, because your dudes will just shoot the gently caress out of each other until they get good at not doing that.

They're great to station on walls between mounted crossbows (which own like hell). higher level crossbows with good bolts (heavies) in the hands of decent shooters will drop entire parties before they can get in range of you, it's great. They were nerfed a bit recently, not the crossbows themselves, but the trick used to be to put them in heavy armor so that they don't get murdered in melee, but not heavy armor gives you penalties.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They added the groundwork for it in the last patch or two, even. A lot of stuff involving settlements is being held off until the map is finished (which is what they're doing now) but stuff like killing faction leaders and them getting replacements, as well as (I believe) certain factions taking over certain other places if conditions are met.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

buglord posted:

also I just discovered Beak Things and I've never seen a video game creature fueled by so much hate for other living creatures.

Beak Things are the apex predator, they are the alpha life form and I am including the playable races and robots

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I doubt we'll be seeing 1.0 this year but they've been pretty good about patches so far. Lead dev hasn't slowed down a bit since he started this project years ago, I think the only real length of time between updates or fixes came when he stopped to do some crowdfunding to increase the size of his team, it used to be a solo effort.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Play Wanderer, they're all variations on it. Just stuff like "slightly better geared wanderer", "wanderer but you start as 5 people with some building supplies", etc.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

To everyone who hasn't been loving around in the Fog Islands, I highly recommend that every Kenshi player should try to get their rear end to Obedience (the crater-like area north/north east of Mongrel) at least once.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Always bring a skeleton when you adventure, in general. It's your way into the game's Secret Plot, they interact with a ton of stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So TGS starts soon, and I'm looking at the schedule right now and LoFi Games is doing a Kenshi thing at 11 a.m. JST. Which is an hour and a half from now.

I believe it's going to be streamed here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcEdnFszu_Q

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 20, 2018

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"the most important thing about this game is that it tortures the player"

e: "I don't know if they're hostile or friendly because I can't read Japanese"

This is very much not a game that is interesting to watch in real time lol. It doesn't help that he's demoing the early game, which is very slow and not all that interesting since it's mostly getting your rear end kicked until it doesn't hurt so much.

lmao he ran into an acid-rain biome infested with beak tings and got turbo-murdered live during the TGS panel

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 20, 2018

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Exterminate the ninjas and shek

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I need to update the clown mod to be more in line with the recent armor changes, unless it made his start gear worse, in which case it seems more lore-accurate to leave it that way

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's still super duper jank at times but it's well worth it to try and move past all of that because there is a crazy fun game under it all.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

re: mods

I made a clown

I'm trying to get an update out that makes recruiting him more interesting, but god drat is it hard to actually get something to just... spawn. There is no way just place a character down in the editor, you have to do this whole song and dance with building naming and what buildings squads prefer and they'll just pick random buildings to move into if there's more than one option for them, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

new combat skills and animations are.... theoretical at best. It certainly seems possible, but no one's been able to figure out how to get it to work yet.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Back to playing this, really feeling the itch to update the clown mod. Looks like the most requested features are some sort of Clown Town for more clowns to clown around with, and blueprints to craft the clown gear.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's me! Modding is kind of a pain in the rear end, as there's a surprising amount of limitations. Like, you can't just put a guy into the world, you gotta' make him spawn in certain circumstances in certain places. Ideally I would have Steady start off caged like the beast he is and you talk to someone else to let him out into your hands for free (or they even pay you a small amount to take him away) but I don't think there's a way to do that. He either starts as a slave, which means he would have a limited inventory, or starts as a bounty caged up, but unless his bounty is more than 10,000 cats he just goes free eventually.

I know mostly the basics but I can point you in the direction of the same guides I'm using:

Setting up a town + dialogue stuff
Blender stuff for adding new gear to the game
Kenshi Discord with a modding section to ask for advice and such

As for making it a priority to visit Steady, be warned that he sucks and is annoying and has bad stats and his gear is terrible, on purpose lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ivy posted:

It looks like the Mods link in the OP is dead (in a weird Googley way where you can view it for 2 seconds then it redirects you away) - does anyone have a good list?

Yeah it looks like Turt deleted the folder, I'm imagining it's redirecting for privacy or security reasons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hey! Found a cool tower!

oh boy....

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

can't wait to hang out with my boy Stobe

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's gonna be great

My wishlist is improved animations (specifically any kind of hand animation at all for 90% of the game's animations lol), a more varied map (which is going to be a shoe-in since we're going to see what a lot of places looked like pre-hosed) and increased mod support. There's so much I would like to do with mods that are a gigantic pain in the rear end or just aren't possible.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh yeah, especially if it means that big factions will actually attack each other or do campaigns against each other. So you could intercept on behalf of another faction, or meet up with allies to take a town or something. Or they decide to battle where your poo poo is and now you're just collateral damage lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

when I update Clown Mod I think I might add in the ability to spawn as Steady. Gotta' figure out how to prevent him from spawning in normally when I do that, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Get Circumsoldat's other two mods, Cannibals Expanded and Screaming Bandits Expanded, there's some good stuff in there and also makes cannibals kind of scary.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starving Bandits and everyone

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No that's just blood spiders, they do that no matter what stage of the game you're at. The swamp is a hellzone

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Is there any way to reset AI routines? I bought a bunch of slaves, but their 'join or flee' AI doesn't seem to be triggering, possibly because I saved and reloaded in the middle of a city.

EDIT: Asking because they're following my sole Skeleton dude, and I'm heading to the Black Desert.

sounds like your problem is going to sort itself out pretty soon

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ugh gently caress I guess I gotta update Steady if no one actually uses him.

Where is a hilarious place to put ClownTown, that not a lot of other mods would use? I'm thinking somewhere just lovely, like out on one of those islands or at the top of some peak in Arm of Okran

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

these are all good suggestions, but I don't want to put them anywhere actually like, high level or end-game or anything. Just somewhere really annoying. You get him in Clownsteady so ideally it would be in the north, on the opposite side of the map. Maybe west of the Post-Ancient Workshop? There's nothing really out there...

Or like, out here past Crab World:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah sure go for it, you can post it in here if you want or message me, doesn't really matter. Quests in Kenshi really just amount to some dialogue unlocking more dialogue or a note telling you to go somewhere lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

well drat

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao I could definitely have a guy tell you to go somewhere and find something a mega-crab is guarding, or even put something in a special mega-crab's inventory, and them maybe tie that to the town takeover mechanic to repopulate the town. I don't think I could get a bunch of clowns to spawn on the crab though. Placing/spawning NPCs deliberately outside of a bar is actually a huge pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Clowncrab