Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Like others I bought this during the steam sale and am enjoying it so far. The landscape, creepy ambient noises, and the weird rear end NPCs are great, especially Hobbs. If he dies I'm starting over.

I made enough money leading bandits back to the town of Squim or whatever it's called to buy a broken building, repair it, and research some tech, but in the process actually killed all the bandits in the immediate area.

The map is huge and everywhere I go leads to losing a limb and/or a slow pitiful death. Well worth the $15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

The game is still in alpha. I think it just runs badly regardless of how powerful your system is.

Not bad enough for me to stop playing though

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is there a nice human-friendly place to go recruiting? I set up home in Squin, seemed like a decent enough base, but no-one wants to join up because I'm a disgusting flatskin.

Me and Hobbs are getting pretty tired with having to Benny Hill book it from every fight and never getting any combat XP.

I'm doing the same thing. Picked up Hobbs in the Hub, and Reka in Squin. I risked a solo trek SE into the Swamp. Mud Town and Shark are very close to each other and both have some free people. I added 3 to my group this way. Getting them back to Squin took some serious save scumming and cost me an arm, but it was worth it. I recommend sneaking the entire way back. Those blood spiders don't mess around.

Mud Town and Shark were almost constantly under attack. I made some extra cash selling loot off the bodies.

DONT DO IT fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 13, 2018

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

I loaded my save yesterday and had 2 bandit revenge groups (for stabbing a demanding dust bandit in the face) and a shek 'return for blood' spawn inside my walls. Granted I have multiple sets of walls so they weren't inside inside where my buildings are, but something is messed up with this patch. I guess while I was playing those attacks were supposed to happen separately but something wasn't triggered correctly, so loading any of the autosaves from the same 'day' resulted in them immediately spawning in a huge swarm.

I dismantled a back wall and ran like a coward. The shek took care of the dust bandits then went about their day.

Also if you do end up with any tribute demand groups be sure to let the dialog reach the end point otherwise it doesn't seem to satisfy them despite the war leader saying otherwise. You'll have additional dialog options beyond 'I bend, take whatever' and 'fight me'

I assume this is also a bug.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Just wanted to re-emphasize how amazing the recruit prisoners mod is. Every starving bandit attack is an opportunity for new laborers. Those that don't convert are used in the fighting pits...

Now if someone could make a betting/colosseum mod my thunderdome dream could be realized. Winners get glory and freedom.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Donkringel posted:

So if you have tech hunters contracted with you, don't steal from tech hunter towns. Even if you have 100% sneaked, they realize what you've done and immediately go hostile.

Any 'hostile' action it seems. I had hired some to help me defend against Kral's Chosen and stripped one of gear when he went down. For whatever reason the mercs decided to stick around and patrol my town for free. Well "Soto" survived and patrols naked. I tried to knock him out to give him his gear back before the KC came back for round 2. The second group of tech hunters I hired somehow noticed from across the map and went hostile. I've only seen this with the tech hunters. Ninjas don't give a poo poo.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Anyone know which 'bandit' (or non bandit) factions are immediately hostile towards eachother? I made a crappy thunderdome to train my main character in martial arts and I might as well go all out. I know there's a mod that makes some bandits hate eachother, but does it also work with recruit prisoners?

All seating in my town will be around the fighting pit. I can turn AI 'sitting around' on before the match for a crowd. I can even put some shop counters around with cheap crap for the wandering mercenaries. Someone should make a gambling mod.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

So what you guys are saying is that the $200 I spent on 32 gb of RAM has a legitimate use? Hot drat!

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

If I wanted to start small fights and raids by the Holy nation without immediately escalating to an all out holy war what would I need to do? I've built a sizeable and decently well defended base in the 'rainbow valley' on the border of Vain and the Border Lands. I was thinking I'd plop a watch tower in the HN farmlands and tell them to screw off when they came to bug me about Jesus (which they don't do now), hopefully offending them enough to come after my primary town. Will that work or is there a better path?

I know I can capture some of their leaders but it sounds like that triggers an event I'm nowhere near prepared for.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

If you just want regular raids in general, with no particular preference in who comes after you, the settle near cannibal country. I like to go to the Northern Coast. Cannibals are kind of wimpy, but they love coming in huge groups. It's satisfying to mow them down with a battery of harpoon turrets.

It also has the advantage of being really close to World's End, which is one of the best towns to have nearby.

Oh I definitely want to take on the Holy Nation. My 'goal' is to remove them and the UC if I end up playing that long.

I don't know why I didn't think about attacking a few patrols.. I'll do that. I've got a sizeable group of competent fighters so a few raids I can take. If anything it will expose holes in my defenses.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, godspeed with that goal. Might take you a while, they cover a good quarter of the ~940 square kilometer game world when added together.

I may have to settle on just capturing the UC nobility and letting the faction fall into chaos. I've already robbed one of them. Gotta collect those bitchin clothes

HN must die though.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

My war on the Holy Nation has stalled while I try to ally myself with the Shek through small bounty turn-ins and get a proper watch tower set up going. It's slow going.. Many lives and limbs have been lost in preparation.

~pro tips~
#1 - Instead of putting new recruits straight on turret duty, give them junk bows and just have them stand around on guard duty to build up their precision first. Friendly fire from a turret shot is a quick way to shamefully lose limbs and/or instantly die during a starving bandit attack. Also, with multiple watch towers use some way to differentiate which tower is under attack. I use various head gear!

#2 - Remember to put your boots back on after you're done thieving!

#3 - Tech Hunter and bar thug mercenaries tend to hang around and patrol your town after their contracts expire. They don't always defend you, but the fact that they patrol gives you a convenient method of doing so with your own guys. Just set them to 'bodyguard' for your own homegrown couch to 5k program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

Anyone got a recommendation for a gladiator arena mod? In my save file I built this complicated building and gate system to release prisoners of opposing factions. I had hoped they would fight and get the appropriate Stat improvements, but they usually just sat there or attacked a gate.