Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a way to extend the shadow LOD distance? I pretty much have everything maxed, but it seems as if shadows are rendering right in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So what do I do after I pay for entry into the secret ninja club? I started as a wanderer and aside from mining copper and starting unfair barfights, my character is pretty unskilled and poor.

I have some random weapons and armor I looted but I’m certain I still can’t win a fight against anything head on.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

dogstile posted:

If you knock down an animal and loot it, it immediately dies. So when one goes down take one meat out of its inventory to ensure it stays down.

christ, the mental imagery of this

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 6, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I made some shack a million miles from home and its only me and some weird spiderlady with goggles running the thing. As long as I keep the doors open and the building "public", it shouldn't be raided by unkind wasteland savages right?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah that's my only defense, if it can even be called that. aside from physically destroying the shack, the worst they can seemingly do is sleep on my bedrolls or use my campfire.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
any mods I can install mid-save that reduce the near vertical progression system? Its taking a while for my poor guys to become bulky death machines, and I feel like should be making more by selling copper. Not sure when I am safe to start a settlement. Last time I tried, everyone and their mother came to bother me and sack me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Garfu posted:

Install the training dummy mod

which, theres like 4

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Carcer posted:

I went with:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1424734278

Because I still want there to be some challenge left.

Thanks homie

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I’m hoping there’s more squad automation in the future. I feel as if I have to keep my eyes on everyone at the same time. Making sure the miners keep mining, my soldiers are training, dudes are all well fed...

Hypothetically seems easy if I have this all under one roof but I can’t afford that. It’s just tedious when your squad is spanned across a large area.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
why are all these skin spiders magnetized to my brand new defenseless base

also I just discovered Beak Things and I've never seen a video game creature fueled by so much hate for other living creatures. Beep was the first victim and I had to reload because I couldn't stand to watch him be eaten.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How can I designate Skin Spiders or other wildlife as kill-on-sight by my harpoon men? They'll wait until a spider walks through the gate, up the ramp, and right behind them. Then once the spider bites, they'll attack. It's lame.

Arven posted:

They really need to make a viable way to start out other than drag npcs to guards or produce a pickaxe from the ether and mine ore.

Some low level NPCs that traveled in groups of 2-3 or some animals that you could actually kill at low levels would be good.
Yeah the initial game is awful because of this. I get that you're supposed to be losing fights to get stronger, but the current early power progression is completely unfun.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I currently have a guy carrying a dead body and an inventory filled with iron ore back and forth between hub and the shek towns. 50% str growth at all times. Sometimes he gets his rear end kicked by bandits but most of the time he's just playing the rocky theme song while walking around.

christ you guys

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Twice now I've left my camp of 10 people to wander off on my own across the map. Both times I've noticed that my bases don't get raided while im gone. Are "unloaded" areas effectively paused? On one hand, my food supplies are lower when I return, so it seems like something is still going on. But the constant skin-spider raids seemingly halt when im far way enough.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There should be some kind of setting to let raiders actually ransack the place instead of just looking for my food barrel. Damage my equipment and structures please.

please let that be just a setting.

How much development time does this game have left? Judging by their website, the game is mostly done. But big chunks of it still seem missing, and the Steam Store page has it listed as Alpha still.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My character is doing the naruto run while sneaking now :catstare:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Similar to the bug above, but most of the time I can’t throw people out of my town after beating them up. One of my squad members will grab them, then can’t drop them. Or if they drop them, the KO’d person/thing will throw itself repeatedly into the air and phase into the ground.

Also how can I kill people that are KO’d? It’s annoying getting raided, then have to deal with progressively smaller battles time and time again after they recover.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Do mercs have the intelligence to target skin spiders or other undesirables before they walk past the gate and attack everyone

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

dogstile posted:

A big protip is to just turn food to 1.5 in the advanced options so you still have to deal with it, but not at the dumbass rate that they have it set to.

also, read the tool tip and don't set it at 0.25 like I did and then spend days wondering why food goes even faster and then assuming it's all in your head because you set the value lower.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What are the Shek's moral failings? Holy Nation hates women and non-humans. United Cities has slave markets all over the place and nobles who hunt poor people. Shek seem to be casually racist against non Shek, but rude comments and weird honor duels seem much more preferable to slave trade and religious extremism.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Dire Lemming posted:

At the beginning of a new game I always go out and kidnap dust bandits to sell their stuff. Sure you have a 0 assassination skill to start but every failure is like 5 levels early on and if you fail or get spotted just try again after they give up the chase. Once you get enough money for a large backpack fill it up with bandit gear, put it in your inventory and carry a bandit till you have 15 strength, now you can carry a body and run at full speed so kidnapping is even easier.

Much more fun than mining and gives you much more valuable skills than labouring.
I think i'm going to try this out on my next game. I seriously got burnt out managing copper supply trains and guarding Beep from bandits so he could mine.

Should I practice stealing from Holy Nation? I don't intend to be friends with them ever, so maybe I can get rich by being a thieving nuisance?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I started a new save and committed crimes and got beat up repeatedly and i'm really strong early on, also rich. also more enjoyable than staring at odd colored rocks.

copper mining...newbie trap after all?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Gah. Screaming Bandits aren't always hostile like cannibals are. So they run past the gate, yell "AUUBUGLUGLUG" to me when I'm doing interior decorating, then, after the dialogue window closes,all 20 of them go hostile in a confined space where I definitely don't have guards or turrets.

Will mercenaries block them from entering? Microing everyone on guard is exhausting. 😪

e: also this game nails massacres shockingly well. Mounds of bodies, pools of blood, scattered limbs *everywhere*, then some people leaving a snail trail of blood when they're crawling to escape. I've reloaded twice because turning a Holy Nation Farmhouse into a cold blooded mass grave of ground beef didn't meld well with my "restoring sanity to the wastelands" headcanon.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 4, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

CommissarMega posted:

But reducing the Holy Nation into a hell of blood and ash IS restoring sanity to the wastelands though :confused:
Yeah im getting there. I just have to convince the wasteland that I'm not just another butthole. Most of my camp is made up of flotsam ninjas, and we're eventually gonna liberate Rebirth and murder our way through it all.

I also managed to capture the Cannibal Grand Wizard (after chopping his arm off in a fight) and got a sweet bounty for turning him. However, days later I found him back at the Cannibal Capital, still with his shackles on him. I dunno if the game teleported him there, or he somehow managed to escape prison and work his way back home. I karate'd him into a coma, ran him all the way across the map, and fed him to skin spiders.

Does this game have any sort of missions/goals? I get its a sandbox, but I would like to be able to topple one faction from power and install another, have cities change ownership, things like that. I'm a little concerned that things will remain static, aside from me adding a small base in Cannibal land.I feel like there's a chunk of the game missing, but maybe im not far along enough to see the rest? I don't really have a good indication of what I can do to "progress" and what's just immersive fluff. But also I dunno if I can complain when I spent $18 and got 48 hours of playtime so far.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 5, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That literally just started happening in my game so I'm glad to know I'm not alone here

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is there a reliable city to find robotic limbs in? Like ones better than Hive stick limbs?

Also I love that limbs are "plug-and-play". I'd like to imagine they pop on and off like legos. Are there any enemies with robo limbs? can I sneak-KO them and pop them off when they're unconscious?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The wastelands are different to me now that my ragtag team of ninjas can literally karate chop armored people's limbs off, oftentimes sending the limbs dozens of feet into the air like magestic birds.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What else do I do now that I seemingly exterminated the Holy Nation? Flotsam Ninjas and Shek kingdom have moved into the new vacancies.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

This needs to be in the OP

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Contrarian opinion: I felt like more could be done with the world? I didn’t really feel as if what I was doing mattered. Maybe it did and I didn’t notice? I was hoping there would be some extra flavor in the world outside your immediate companions. Yeah I knocked out some holy outposts and put the grand priests or whatever behind bars, but that was largely it. I came away from it fall feeling like a certain itch wasn’t scratched. I went in hoping for Karate Warband but with a more fleshed our world.

I played before the final zone of the world was finished so maybe there’s stuff there?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah the sneak animation is hilarious. Unarmed combat is a lot of fun too. You can roleplay a squad of naruto characters that are literally strong enough to punch or kick off entire limbs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

MRLOLAST posted:

So I got this yesterday and have been fiddling around with it. Is there anything that is a must do in the beginning to get a good start ?
I did the wanderer start and have just been exploring and running around/ away from stuff and done some scavenging.

a fun thing to do which breaks the tedium is stealing things from a faction/town you don't mind angering. when you inevitably get caught and beat to a pulp within an inch of your life, you heal up in prison and break out again, only to get nearly beaten to death again. its a great way to build character and gives you a healthy degree of toughness early on. A semy cheesy way to also build skill is to mine an inventory full of rocks, carry a dead guy, and explore as usual across the wasteland.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
newcomers: if you wanna reduce the rate of hunger, drag the slider to the right, not left.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I fondly remember capturing the cannibal leader of Kenshiland (and chopping off his leg in the process) and throwing him into acid water. He didn't die because his regen was just ever so slightly higher than the acid damage, despite being KO'd. It was seemingly impossible to deal a fatal blow before he would get KO'd.

After like half an hour of trying to kill this dude, I had my strongest and fastest guy carry him and throw him to beak things. They eventually ate him and he was gone forever. god bless

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

axelord posted:

You'll need to be careful at first but when the Mercs have the enemies weakened down join in the fight to get some training. Ranged weapons are an option too.

If you start playing around with ranged weapons, make sure a relatively skilled healer is around. At least when I was training harpoons, more often than not my archer headshotted a few of our own people by accident. There's a separate ranged skill to avoid shooting friends accidentally, but you can probably guess how its leveled bring bandages :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What’s the lore explanation for why blood spiders are so deadly

those things are so small yet so terrifyingly dangerous. Are their fangs red hot knives?

Also second tip for new guys: if you want to kill an unconscious animal or beast, loot their body and take one of their meat or furs or something. They won’t wake back up.

Same goes with robots.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I hope kenshi 2 makes people management far easier like Rimworld. Microing who does what is a pain and needs constant readjustment based on who’s crippled/busy/sleeping/dead. Late game isn’t the enjoyable because of this constant juggling.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hi. Doing a new run. About 20 hours in and strong enough to make world changes. What steps should I take to dismantle slavery and xenophobia across the realm?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Goodness gracious why are mountains so awful to navigate through? are there any AI pathing mods that improve how characters travel across mountainy areas? I have to handhold them each time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I tried doing a ranged/swordsman run this time around. While my squad was reasonably effective in combat at high levels, the bitter truth reared its ugly head:

It’s still way better to play unarmed combat style where you can one-shot dudes by punching their stomach out of them or kicking their limbs clean off and watch them fly up into the stratosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
If you ever want some crazy gamer insanity look up Holy Nation or Anti-Slaver articles on the game’s wiki and read the comments. I’m uncomfortable enjoying the same game with these types of people.