Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tabletops posted:

ah. i have a large backpack full of some plates and armor, i'm at 66% encumberance atm

also a bit of a question : how important is my starting character? Is it entirely possible i'll lose him or he will die at some point and that is fine? i think in M&B the game was basically over if your starting guy died but I can't remember.

this is assuming i have other dudes to control, i guess.

Yeah, you control your faction rather than a character so as long as you have at least one dude left you can rebuild. Your starter guy is pretty much completely interchangeable once you have some extra bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Manage to actually recruit that one Southern Hive dude that's being held in United Cities Supermax before he despawns :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kenshi Space Program alpha looking good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I’m just befuddled way there aren’t any other games like Kenshi.

You’d think there would be more developers salivating on the idea of a “sandbox RPG”. Both of the freedom and tech pushing aspects, and the (unfortunately) near limitless potential to sell DLC.

Like imagine a Final Fantasy game with the Kenshi template.

Final Fantasy games are literally created with the exact opposite goals from Kenshi, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Squeenix would ever try to adopt the Kenshi model for a game.

Like the whole point of Final Fantasy since FF2 has been to take you through a story focused experience first and foremost with any sort of sandbox being an accident if any aspect was ever included.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mean there is a lot of stuff that ticks similar boxes like Mount and Blade, Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld :shrug:. They obviously all play incredibly differently but at their core are games about playing in an RPG sandbox to greater or lesser degrees.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

Just bought this yesterday since it was half off. Started as a Wanderer and walked to the nearest town. Is the map randomly generated each game?

Nope, its a set map.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Challenge run, only recruit Southern Hivers and make sure to grab the sole SH unique character.

lol don't actually do this, I tried once and it took hours to find a Southern Hiver slave to free who didn't immediately gently caress off

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

There are unique hivers?

There are ones with unique dialogue or recruitment yeah.

Espher is the sole Southern Hiver unique, you can find him imprisoned in Tengu's Vault and its kind of a pain in the rear end to get him out. Also his only unique dialogue happens while you're breaking out of Tengu's Vault.

Ray is the only unique Hiver Soldier, he's a slave you can buy and had his tongue ripped out. Uniquely this makes him the only recruit in the game that can't interact with any shopkeepers.

Beep is uh, Beep and the mascot of the game with the most unique dialogue of anyone I think? The other unique Western Hiver Worker is Green who comes as a competent crossbowhiver and has a few unique convos.

Silvershade is a unique Hiver Prince who has slightly better than average stats and a few unique bits of dialogue. The other unique Hiver Prince you can get is Yamdu who has endgame absurd stats, but you can only pick him up if you take out Tinfist and report in to Longren at the Trader's Guild who has him go with you as a reward.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 18, 2023

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah there are 2 Skeletons that are easy to get and 1 that's an enormous pain in the rear end to get.

Which is still better odds than getting a Southern Hiver of which there is exactly 1 unique recruit located in one of the hardest places in the game to break out. Your other options to get them are hoping random slaves spawn as Souther Hivers and then randomly roll to join you after you free them which is comically unlikely.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I dunno why all these modpacks include like 5 mods for progressively more obnoxiously statted beak things and also distribute them in almost every biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, basically there's a pool of generic recruits which each have about a 1% chance to roll as a Skeleton. They're your only option to get a non Agnu/Sadneil/Burn Skeleton outside of starting with them in your party or playing the release slave gacha.

Only Southern hivers are harder to get since wanderers don't even have a chance of spawning as them and you can't start as one without mods so your only options of getting one are breaking the single Unique Southern Hiver recruit out of the pain in the rear end that is Tengu's vault or release slave gacha.