Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Okay so… what are the mods that look good but should be avoided?? I’ve played enough modded games on rickety engines (Bethsoft) to know a really robust and cool looking mod can become a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cool deal. I mean the game's got that lovable jank fuzz on it already - I like what some ReShade settings do for the visuals but I can definitely see this thing wheezing as more stuff gets added.

It's not like a bunch of soft cheats aren't already in the game -- marginalizing hunger mechanics, easy prospecting, etc -- but still I get that Dwarf Fortress-y feeling where I hit my sweet spot for management complexity and the game just keeps going further. Like I already have an MBA-adjacent degree irl and I don't ever want to have to think about supply chains for industrialized sandwich production ever again. Alas, it looks like I'm sending my guar generic fantasy pack animal on about a dozen different runs to grab wheat for my big rear end farm. Then I have to train a baker... the grind never ceases.

I realize there's a version of this game in which I could play a solo ninja assassin wandering the land, but I'm honestly not that interested in cheese-kiting dozens of angry bandits every hour or two. That kind of thing isn't super friendly with AI-driven gameplay ime. But who knows, maybe it actually works.

I threw down the mod that allows for training of primary attributes and basic skills up to "not wholly useless" levels for my settlement mooks without grinding through a hundred hungry bandit attacks, in the hopes that at some point I could be able to stop evacuating the settlement and / or grinding out copper for mercenary contract money in Squin. But I remain skeptical. Still, fun game!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Reject modernity (industrial settlement) embrace tradition (lone wandering swordsman)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Started again and am focusing on tuning my own guy for solo romps. Still ended up designing a settlement bc I like The Sims, but I've only got three dudes on retainer and they all focus on any one given thing (copper farming, iron plate gen). It's a little bit slower than multiple supply chains going at once, but far easier to manage, easier to evacuate, and I don't really have to worry about sustainability when my ninja man can just sprint over to Squin at any given point in time and steal all the food from the bars there.

Spending 30 mins at the start of your running sneak-sprinting and lockpicking in the ninja tower really is a cheat code. Long live eurojank.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah but that middle ground is "RTS" and I don't like it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They must have done some updates since I last played. I don’t see the City Conflagration anywhere

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's really funny that the Spartacus scenario is somehow the least game-y method of building up toughness. How else is it done, besides picking fights with patrols with a medic hiding nearby?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Where would a good spot be if all I wanted to do is make a small settlement that focused on making wonder foodcubes and swords? You know, every warriors' balanced breakfast.

Somewhere between Squin and The Hub, imo. Somewhere you don't have to hoof too far for iron and copper.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Me: “how powerful could a slave start really become”

Me, 365 in-game days later: *sneaks through a bandit raiding party in broad daylight, pacifies and steals away with leader without getting caught*

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

How do you make your character run to the rock processor to pick up building materials then automatically build things you placed down? I managed to do that somehow but ever since I got attacked by beak things I had to turn off the jobs for a moment to take care of the situation, once I turn them back on everyone except the "engineers" started up their routine again.

Tbh restarting the program usually works for me. This isn’t what you’d call a technically solid game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The real pro strat with Kenshi is to do the slave start, jump into a cage within view of the guards, remove your shackles while in the cage so that they give you new ones without hurting you, and keep doing that until you’ve got at least 80% encumbrance. Then you turn the timescale to 3X, turn off your monitor, then do other things / go to sleep, giving it 12 hours or so. Depending on race You’ll end up with strength, labor and athletics in the 60-80 range.

From there it’s more of a grind — break out at night and sneak around the big statue in the middle of the quarry to level up stealth, unlock the poles (but NOT the shackles) of other prisoners, steal stuff off tables and out of containers (but do not touch any food, you’ll need it for your escape). Do this every night, ending with a knockout attempt on a guard. (Another note re: food is to try and make it back to a cage around the point your hunger gets to just below 80 — you don’t want to pass out)

As long as you’re wearing shackles, you’ll be patched up as soon as you’re knocked out and recaptured. Be careful not to start out fights with any limbs too close to negative (otherwise you risk getting dismembered), but you’ll gain toughness fairly quickly.

Once it takes a few hits to put you down, you can probably start taking off the shackles when you get into scraps. On the one hand, this delimits some of your stats so that you last longer, and thus gain xp more efficiently, especially with things like dodging. Otoh, if you get a critical injury that makes you unconscious and the AI doesn’t get around to re-shackling you quickly enough, you could bleed out (though it never happened to me after a good amount of toughness raising).

From there you get Assassination and stealth to a point where you can KO one of the building guards and give him a taste of his own medicine by putting shackles on him and dumping him in a cage, thus enslaving him. In practical terms, this takes a guard out of the building permanently, allowing one slaver you can spar with every night.

Once you’ve gotten to the point where you can hold your own against a single guard using just your fists, once you’ve won a boxing match against a guy with a sword, then you’re ready — in a state of starvation, you’re actually playing at 30% of your actual power. Stock up on food, get some kit, and sprint out — south to the Hub is a good start.

Really, I decided to blow Rebirth once a “rich man” came through at night, presumably to buy a slave. Felt like a sign. I knocked him out, took his high-grade kit, and left him in shackles.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kenshi doesn’t have cheats like that, far as I’m aware. There are training task mods you can get which add like “weight racks” that let you train up a stat to a respectable number. The problem with those “cheats” is that you still have to put real hours into doing the task to accrue stats — Kenshi is an extremely grind-happy game, the vast majority of it is built on grind.

Slavery allows you to leave the game unattended to boost stats like nothing else because (1) there are dozens of well-equipped and pre-ground AI soldiers to protect you from random events and (2) you don’t have to worry about food, whereas a dummy-slapping trainee could conceivably suffer from a fatal ED.

So if you want to, say, play a sandbox game without the “juggling eggs” aspect of both settlement building and defense, it’s nice to have a Bane in your pocket.

It does not break the game (it’s one guy) nor does it necessarily even stop you from disrupting all your processes when raiding parties show up. But it does vastly reduce the amount of time you have to wait while bandits run around your emptied town — a raid will end when all its guys get knocked out, and when the “event” is done the enemies will flee after waking.

But I see you getting upset online, and I respect it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 31, 2024

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

zedprime posted:

The mod dev environment is also a save editor and if you're able to affect complex plans like defeating a beak thing you can probably fix your stats to your liking faster than 13 hours later.
I figured there must be a cheat engine thing out there, but it lacks the rich rewarding irony of enslaving overseers offered by the organic farming method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Idk if there’s anything there but I wonder if there’s a mod that allows you to do something other than wait for a downed-but-not-dying enemy to wake up. I assume the stumbling block there would be a lack of clean ways to exempt your own guys from the mechanic.