Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm not good at threads, but I see there's not one for this game which is criminal.

What's Kenshi?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

"A free-roaming squad based RPG. Focusing on open-ended sandbox gameplay features rather than a linear story. Be a trader, a thief, a rebel, a warlord, an adventurer, a farmer, a slave, or just food for the cannibals. Research new equipment and craft new gear."

That's the official description, which if anything short sells the possibilities afforded to you. You can satisfyingly do a single character play-through or you can build and micromanage the lives of a city, all in this weird-as-hell, novel, post apocalyptic world.

Its dense, at times overwhelming, it can be buggy, its many systems sometimes perform strangely alongside each other and it feels relatively unpolished, but it's totally unique and really, really, good.

Having played for about twenty hours over an embarrassingly few amount of days I highly recommend it, despite its many and obvious flaws.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Babe Magnet posted:

this game is almost nothing like Mount and Blade, where did you even get that idea from lol

Gonna have to disagree with you here. Kenshi features very similar concepts to the overland travel, faction ecosystem and companion recruiting portions present in Warband. Also, whatever "aimlessness" that may come from Kenshi is the same kind of freedom that comes from the late game of Mount and Blade. The late game of Kenshi, especially for me in this current playthrough, feels very similar to a game of M&B. You own towns, you have armies, you've fought and destroyed enemy factions... Feels a lot like Mount and Blade, really. The jankiness and freedom especially.

Though, the beauty of Kenshi is and I understand why you think it's not like Warband, is that you don't have to play it this way, the way I am describing.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I don't use any mods and am having a good enough time.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

WarpDogs posted:

I bought this late last year as it seems right up my alley. I know a lot of folks compare it to Mount and Blade but I actually get Dwarf Fortress vibes - specifically what DF's Adventure Mode will eventually be

I played it for a bit and tried to steal from some unguarded barrels on the roof of an inn. Somehow the guards outside "saw" me like the psychic guards from Oblivion and I uninstalled the game shortly after. It was an overreaction, but at the time it felt so contrary to the rest of the game's design

Maybe I got unlucky or it was a bug. I really want to go back to it some day

Stealing is still a bit finicky still, but there's a mechanic in play where if you steal from a container, people around are much more likely to "hear" you. I believe there's a different system for sight. I've once stolen something, had a shop guard raise an alarm, search for me, not be able to find me in the dark and then leave me alone. I can live with that.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Pewdiepie posted:

This thread needs screenshots.

I'll happily embed some in the first post if you friends have good ones.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Also runs great on my PC save for the occasional CTD. I've heard that the game has some issues with the latest Nvidia driver, so there's that to consider.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Or capture and disarm an enemy with high stats and set up an arena to repeatedly do battle against them.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I would say the game was worth the price of admission several patches ago.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
If anyone wants to submit some screenshots, advice or FAQs I'll go ahead and add them to the OP.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
If I got a solo fighter guy whose mostly fighting groups, what weapon would maximize defense? So far it seems like foreign sabers might be the best choice, but I've seen people also say heavy polearms for some reason.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

The Lone Badger posted:

Falling sun. Dead people can't hurt you.

You're probably right, but I like watching my guy block like mad. Sabers are fun because they're quick and my dude will alternate blocks with attacks. Polearms seem even faster, so far.

EDIT: Is each weapon as defensive as the others? Do they all block the same amount? I notice certain slow firing weapons will have a moment that they're vulnerable after they attack and I'm not sure that's true of faster weapons.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 10, 2021

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I know we're likely a decade away, but I think I'm ready for Kenshi 2. I love Kenshi, but performance issues inevitably tank every playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The devs seem to post a lot about things I don't care about and nothing about Kenshi 2 (something I care dearly about).