Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Fujiwara-san made me lose my poo poo and all secondary characters are gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I can't decide who was funnier this episode, Kasumi or Hanako.

The Inquisition scene was just A+ material from Hanako, but then Kasumi in the last two segments...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kasumi in rare form this episode

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Davincie posted:

i enjoyed the aussie surfer accent

yeah fujiwara's clearly voiced by an aussie i love it :boonie:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the assholery is real

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Fujiwara-san :stare:

Hanako in the middle skit :stonk:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Slugnoid posted:

yeah fujiwara's clearly voiced by an aussie i love it :boonie:

Apparently she's voiced by Shuu Uchida, who spent her formative years in Oz, so that's cool. That said, I think Ep 10 has definitely made Kasumi the Best Girl™ :allears:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

CommissarMega posted:

Apparently she's voiced by Shuu Uchida, who spent her formative years in Oz, so that's cool.

This is just the craziest accent :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LwchtP14cY

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The show is generally hilarious, but do they have to keep pulling this poo poo with Aozora?

admyral

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i cant hear the accent when she speaks japanese

idk why the gently caress she says admyral though

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Pollyanna posted:

The show is generally hilarious, but do they have to keep pulling this poo poo with Aozora?

Yeah, whenever Aozora comes up they seem to take it as a given that you should be freaked/grossed out by the situation and it sucks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm reserving judgement because it seems that little subplot is going SOMEWHERE other than "lol dickgirl maybe?", but it's weird, yeah.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
they also seem to paint them in a much better light in scenarios that aren't fabrications by our rear end in a top hat main characters but yeah it's not great

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm not optimistic that they'll turn aozora's characterization around, but i dearly hope they don't make it worse.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Japanese people find trans people weird and hilarious. :shrug:

Just skip the whole sketch I guess?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems like Japan is in more or less the same place as the US was 10+ years ago with regards to trans people. It's easy to forget (well, for non-trans people anyways - I'm sure it's not so easy for them) that any level of mainstream acceptance for trans people is a very recent thing in the US.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how they introduced a brand new character in this episode and she's already great

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They bring back butt laser just often enough that it takes me a beat to remember it exists.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Negrostrike posted:

Japanese people find trans people weird and hilarious. :shrug:

Just skip the whole sketch I guess?

She's neither particularly weird (by this show's standards anyway), nor especially hilarious, to be honest. VP, on the other hand :allears: And I really hope they will introduce the art club before the end of the season.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Aozora, despite potentially definitely having a dick is actually the most normal of the girls in the school.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doesn't that make her really weird? Being "normal" clearly isn't normal here.

It was very satisfying watching that character type being kneed in the stomach repeatably. :toot:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this was the #1 episode of the series, not sure how they top this one

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

where the red fern gropes posted:

this was the #1 episode of the series, not sure how they top this one

The finale better end with them setting off a chain of events that destroy the school.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Serge Painsbourg posted:

The finale better end with them setting off a chain of events that destroy the school.

i feel like the occult clubs cookies are going to kill everyone at the cultural festival

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Pollyanna posted:

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah, whenever Aozora comes up they seem to take it as a given that you should be freaked/grossed out by the situation and it sucks.

The devil's advocate argument: The show's structure of comedy is primarily 1) girls encounter something they don't understand 2) they react to it terribly, but in a funny way for the viewer. For example, we as the audience know what sex is, so the sex education scene is hilarious because of this format, and the creators of the show assume the audience knows all this in order for the joke to work. I mean, one of the main characters is a misandrist solely because of this concept, and it's hilarious and the joke works, and it would be a stretch to accuse the show of pushing some misandrist agenda.

So apply to Aozora: this implies the creators of this gag are expecting the audience to know the girls' reactions to Aozora are ridiculous and what proper response actually would be if you were to encounter that scenario in real life, i.e. the opposite of being freaked/grossed out. The joke is on the edgier side and has its flaws, but it's possible they meant well and are just exploring their joke limits.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

AnacondaHL posted:

1) girls encounter something they don't understand 2) they react to it terribly, but in a funny way for the viewer.

That's how I read it as well. It seemed to me that Kasumi's desire to peek under someone else's skirt was portrayed as a ridiculous character flaw of hers, not as something any decent person should feel sympathy with. Rather than the writers being ignorant assholes, it's our main characters being ignorant assholes, as per usual in every situation.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
everyone knows Aozora is the cutest girl in the school anyways

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Mentat Radnor posted:

That's how I read it as well. It seemed to me that Kasumi's desire to peek under someone else's skirt was portrayed as a ridiculous character flaw of hers, not as something any decent person should feel sympathy with. Rather than the writers being ignorant assholes, it's our main characters being ignorant assholes, as per usual in every situation.

I'd like to believe that, but the final joke of the first Aozora scene read to me as Kasumi and Olivia falling for her cutesy act and the narrator saying that only one whose natural instinct of disgust/being creeped out had activated was Hanako. I'd like to believe the joke is Kasumi and Olivia are too stupid to be jerks for any length of time and that Hanako's reaction deserves special mention because she's the only one that saw it was all an act and Aozora's not as cute and wholesome as she appears (in that she's a scheming blackmailer, rather than she's trans), but there's not a brilliant track record for that in a lot of media. Hopefully I'm wrong and Aozora's subplot goes somewhere that isn't just "she's got a dick and that is gross."

I think whatever the situation turns out to be, we can all agree that Fantomas is fuckin' ripped.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Space Flower posted:

everyone knows Aozora is the cutest girl in the school anyways

Only if you're not counting teachers.

Otherwise, Thirsty-sensei #1

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kibibit posted:

Otherwise, Thirsty-sensei #1

I keep seeing her as the country girl from Komi-san.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Muscle girl sensei is the cutest obviously.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You're all wrong and Maeda is the best girl next to Conan-Sensei

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

good show

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I took a look at the translated manga chapters. Man, “Playgirl Club” results in some of the earlier jokes making much more sense (particularly the Lord of Playgirls). Anybody know which is the more accurate translation?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh nooooo is it done?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Agronox posted:

I took a look at the translated manga chapters. Man, “Playgirl Club” results in some of the earlier jokes making much more sense (particularly the Lord of Playgirls). Anybody know which is the more accurate translation?

I don't speak Japanese but given how the jokes go I'm assuming it's just one of those Japanese double-meaning puns. Playgirl at least makes the jokes land instead of the weird "past-timer means slut" thing we got in the sub so that one's got my vote.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I prefer the name "Fooling-around club" as a translation of the pun.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Great last line to the series.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This came out of nowhere to be my AOTS. That baby segment was amazing.

I really hope theres a season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

haha maedas little pigmy poo poo and its sound effects

• Locked thread