Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Megabound posted:

Spotted in the wild, I wonder if the dirty rag is an optional extra

Looks like parking your car in the full Queensland sun is bad for your bootleg iPad

there were reported issues with the glue just straight up melting out of the display, starting with the model 3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

elon runs the exact same poll two years apart, both of them end with the exact same percentages and the winning percentage both times is the funny sex number. clearly twitter polls are legit and absolutely not manipulated by him

also,

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Megabound posted:

Spotted in the wild, I wonder if the dirty rag is an optional extra

Looks like parking your car in the full Queensland sun is bad for your bootleg iPad

in florida it's apparently very common for them to just get unglued and therefore delaminated from the heat lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

there were reported issues with the glue just straight up melting out of the display, starting with the model 3s

yeah, my dad had to replace the screen in his twice. i witnessed one such swap and the display did absolutely not have the same color temperature as the previous, lol

so not only are they not color managed, they're probably from the bargain bin

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

...! posted:

elon runs the exact same poll two years apart, both of them end with the exact same percentages and the winning percentage both times is the funny sex number. clearly twitter polls are legit and absolutely not manipulated by him

also,

really wanna give dogedesigner an atomic wedgie

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

there are rumors (afaik none confirmed) that elon (or some other extremely rich people) might have loans against their tesla shares, which can be pledged in collateral for, well, real money. the problem with that is, the shares are only worth that amount if the stock price stays above a certain level; if it falls past that, the loans may ostensibly be worth more than the combined value of the shares, meaning the lender will never be repaid, so they will seize them before that happens

based upon TSLA's historical performance, that level seems to be $150. whenever the stock drops below that point, it usually faces extreme resistance in the form of heavy volumes of buy orders at a considerable premium, likely signaling that someone with extraordinarily deep pockets is propping up the price

but this is all theoretical, afaik — we don't know who is placing those buy orders, or why. tesla insiders have to disclose whenever they buy or sell an appreciable amount of stock and, well, elon isn't the best about complying with SEC regulations. but there hasn't been any suspicious movement by insiders according to nasdaq: https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/tsla/insider-activity the last significant sell order was on april 1 by some guy. though again, elon doesn't really comply with regulations very well, and there are regardless many loopholes, so who knows

e: though notably there haven't been any insider buys (other than automatic options executing) in the past few years either, lol

why doesn't musk simply take out a huge cash loan collateralized by his TSLA stock, and use it to buy as much TSLA stock as possible

that'll cause the price to skyrocket, and he can then take out more loan with his more valuable TSLA stock and repeat the process

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

did you touch it? and did it leave a stain?

I didn't want to risk contact dermatitis

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
and we juuuust hit a new 52-week low

TSLA: everyday low prices

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Even on Mars FSD is hitting pedestrians.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

why doesn't musk simply take out a huge cash loan collateralized by his TSLA stock, and use it to buy as much TSLA stock as possible

that'll cause the price to skyrocket, and he can then take out more loan with his more valuable TSLA stock and repeat the process

there's only so many times that can work, and either way would probably be limited by lenders (they will usually only collateralize a certain amount of a portfolio because of volatility; multiple lenders can't be used extensively because you'd a. not have much choice of institutions with that much cash and b. be overleveraged) or by the SEC (although it's elon, so who knows, he could simply ignore them). idk though, the last time i went into the weeds on SEC regs was during the twitter acquisition and that wasn't really related. either way it'd be pretty risky from a few perspectives, assuming it's not straight up illegal (e: and i don't know if it is)

like when pledging shares as collateral it impacts your potential ownership, so if for example elon has 50% of his 11% of tesla shares collateralized, and they get seized because the stock falls, he's now owner of 5.5% of tesla and the lender could easily gently caress him by dumping the other 5.5% for cheap, or something similar. then if the rest is pledged to some other lender, rinse and repeat, etc. — that might not work in your favor if you're trying to reincorporate the company elsewhere or get a huge undeserved bonus

e: i suppose buybacks are sort of a way of doing this, but surprisingly i don't think tesla has done any

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 19, 2024

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

Even on Mars FSD is hitting pedestrians.

Accurate depiction of elon's mars base:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i keep checking the nasdaq tab periodically and lol, now there's someone forcing it in the down direction

at the last minute too, after-hours trading closes at 8 pm

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 19, 2024

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beeftweeter posted:

i keep checking the nasdaq tab periodically and lol, now someone's trying to force a move in the down direction

at the last minute too, after-hours trading closes at 8 pm

Wishin' em luck

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAUXTON posted:

Wishin' em luck

tomorrow's probably gonna be real interesting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Elon doesn't believe in trains, proof :

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Megabound posted:

Accurate depiction of elon's mars base:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

lmao. you beat me to it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

...! posted:

lol less than half as many votes as two years ago

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FuturePastNow posted:

lol less than half as many votes as two years ago

now imagine how many are bots and what that lower number means

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
So much lust for a business owner to suffer.
Sad!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SpaceAceJase posted:

So much lust for a business owner to suffer.
Sad!

all business owners should suffer

but even so elon is a special case

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

quote:

If you pay attention to the investment media, you’ve probably heard plenty over the past four years about Cathie Wood, head of Ark Investment Management.

Wood (Mama Cathie to her acolytes) soared to acclaim after an amazing return of 153% in 2020 and lucid presentations of her investment philosophy in numerous media appearances.

But her longer-term performance is less impressive. Wood’s flagship Ark Innovation ETF (ARKK) , with $6.5 billion in assets, produced annualized returns of 10% for the past 12 months, negative 30% for the past three years and negative 1% for five years.

That’s quite woeful compared with the S&P 500. It posted positive returns of 23% for one year, 8% for three years, and 13% for five years.

Ark Innovation’s numbers also fall well shy of Wood's goal for annual returns of at least 15% over five-year periods.

Her investment strategy is pretty simple. Ark ETFs usually purchase emerging-company stocks in the high-tech categories of artificial intelligence, blockchain, DNA sequencing, energy storage, and robotics. Wood maintains that companies in those categories will change the world.

Of course, these stocks are quite volatile, so the Ark funds frequently fluctuate up and down. Wood adds to and subtracts from her top names frequently.

Investment research titan Morningstar offers a harsh assessment of Wood and Ark Innovation ETF. Investing in young companies with slim earnings “demands forecasting talent, which ARK Investment Management lacks,” Morningstar analyst Robby Greengold wrote in March.

The potential of Wood’s five high-tech platforms listed above is “compelling,” he said. “But the firm’s ability to spot winners and manage their myriad risks is less so…. It has not proved it is worth the risks it takes.”

This isn’t your father’s investment portfolio. “Wood’s reliance on her instincts to construct the portfolio is a liability,” Greengold said. “The highly correlated stock prices of its holdings belie its apparent diversification across many sectors.”

Wood has defended herself from Morningstar’s criticism. “I do know there are companies like that one [Morningstar] that do not understand what we're doing,” she told Magnifi Media by Tifin in 2022.

“We do not fit into their style boxes. And I think style boxes will become a thing of the past, as technology blurs the lines between and among sectors.”

But some of Wood’s customers apparently agree with Morningstar. During Ark Innovation’s rally of the past 12 months, it suffered a net investment outflow of $2 billion, according to ETF research firm VettaFi.

On April 16-17 Ark funds bought 87,187 shares of electric vehicle titan Tesla (TSLA) , valued at $13.6 million as of April 17’s close.

Tesla shares have dropped 39% this year to $150 on April 18. So Wood likely viewed this as a buying opportunity.
She has regularly snapped up the electric-vehicle company’s stock during periods of weakness, expressing admiration for Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk and his clean-energy goals.

Wood reiterated her $2,000 valuation for Tesla shares in early April. She initiated that goal a year earlier. So it’s no surprise that Tesla is the biggest holding in Ark Innovation.

Despite Wood’s enthusiasm, Tesla’s performance is faltering. Sales are sluggish, with deliveries sliding slid 8.5% in the first quarter.

Cheaper Chinese vehicles have eaten into Tesla’s market share in that key country. Last month Tesla’s sales volume there fell to the lowest level in more than a year.

This week, Musk announced a 10% reduction in the company’s workforce, and two senior executives resigned. He said he’s looking for “cost reductions and increasing productivity.”

i think we figured out who's been pumping money into TSLA

also, there's a really weird spike in after market trading.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lol Mama Cathie

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://x.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1781072032035217575

Working hard, thank you!

https://ir.tesla.com/corporate

Tesla's C-Suite is now Elon, a guy that joined last April, and a guy that joined last August

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

in florida it's apparently very common for them to just get unglued and therefore delaminated from the heat lol

I bet there's a market for some sort of mitten like "screen protector" made of that mylar bubble wrap stuff they make windshield sunshades out of. Since Telsa owners all seem to be pay pigs, you could probably charge like... $100 a pop for them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DarkSol posted:

Wood reiterated her $2,000 valuation for Tesla shares in early April
lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DarkSol posted:

i think we figured out who's been pumping money into TSLA

also, there's a really weird spike in after market trading.

cathie wood is real dumb and has wasted a shitload of money on stupid bullshit (mostly TSLA), but she doesn't have that much money to play with — remember that these shares are still $148 a pop and that adds up really quickly. at an average volume of around 96.8 million shares changing hands on a daily basis, she would need a lot more money than she has to move the needle more than a few single digit percentages, briefly

after hours trading stops at 8 pm est (that was almost 2 hours ago), so if there's a spike idk how

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

doesn't cathie state that her portfolio choices are divinely inspired

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tweak posted:

doesn't cathie state that her portfolio choices are divinely inspired

yeah, ARK is a reference to the indiana jones movie "raiders of the ark"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Trillhouse posted:

Working hard, thank you!

Tesla's C-Suite is now Elon, a guy that joined last April, and a guy that joined last August
too early for Downfall subtitles?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Trillhouse posted:

Working hard, thank you!

see, the board doesn't need to increase his compensation package, elon is devoting more time to the company all on his own

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol his threat to walk if they don't give him another 10% of the company is looking more and more like, uh, not a threat at all

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm struggling to understand why you as a smart, rational and self interested tesla shareholder would vote to give musk the $55 billion bonus at this point. even if you believe he did great things for shareholder value, he already did those things and you got the benefit of them without having to give up all that cash! what's he going to do about it, intentionally crash the company that a large part of his wealth and all of his ego is tied up in?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

you should use a more current photo my liege

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I'm struggling to understand why you as a smart, rational and self interested tesla shareholder would vote to give musk the $55 billion bonus at this point. even if you believe he did great things for shareholder value, he already did those things and you got the benefit of them without having to give up all that cash! what's he going to do about it, intentionally crash the company that a large part of his wealth and all of his ego is tied up in?

it's so obviously dumb, it may be illegal to do it without a unanimous vote of the shareholders.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

you should use a more current photo my liege

nah, using a ten year old headshot is a human right

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

edit

Roosevelt fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 19, 2024

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

big scary monsters posted:

reminder: the company that tesla hired to try to sell this to the shareholders is one of the companies that sued elon for not paying twitter's bills

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

TSLA: everyday low prices

even in death probed i still serve

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

even in death probed i still serve

:tipshat: